Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am this close to ordering an Elite, but i am still a little uncertain about what size i should order.
Like zmjones says i would probably go with an 58 but i am a little worried that it maybe will be to long reach?

182 cm long and 90 cm in-seam, so i got quite long legs.

I would really appreciate some advice.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I can tell you that the stem on the 58 is stupid long and the 15 degree setback post makes it even worse. I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam and I got a 58. I had to shorten the stem and get a 0 degree seat post to be able to ride the bike. After that...it was good. But expect to have to change out one or the other or both. You might be ok with the seat post since you have long legs but being that you have a shorter torso you'll almost definitely need to swap the stem.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I can tell you that the stem on the 58 is stupid long and the 15 degree setback post makes it even worse. I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam and I got a 58. I had to shorten the stem and get a 0 degree seat post to be able to ride the bike. After that...it was good. But expect to have to change out one or the other or both. You might be ok with the seat post since you have long legs but being that you have a shorter torso you'll almost definitely need to swap the stem.
Thank you Nubster.
Yes my plan is to order an 58 and a 90mm stem. Hope thats enough? Dont really want to swap the seatpost since it is so integrated with the saddle. (On the Elite)

Edit: i have now ordered my bike, i went with the Expert, too god price to miss: aprox: 1550 USD for a 2016 bike.

ordered a 58 with an extra stem 90mm.

Update:
After a couple of weeks riding my 58 i can really agree with you Nubster, this bike is long. maybe to long for me.
As you said i swaped the stem for a 90mm and a seat-post without setback, but still i think i feel a little to stretched out on the bike.
Maybe it´s just getting used to a new geometry, my last bike was maybe a bit to small for me and i have ridden it for many years now.

I hope i can get used to it because i really like the bike, with new tires WTB Nano race 40 it blasts through the woods :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am a real sucker for wide tyres, anyone tried the WTB riddler 45C?
I am a bit curious of if they will fit in the rear?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am a real sucker for wide tyres, anyone tried the WTB riddler 45C?
I am a bit curious of if they will fit in the rear?
i have one on the front and it fits fine, maybe 4-5mm or so clearance on each side? i haven't tried it on the rear though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks, wonder if it will fit in the rear?
I have WTB Nano 40 today and would really like to test the Riddlers (if they fit)

I have a new set of wheels ordered with new Crest mk3 rims and would likt to test new tyres on those.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi, I hope someone can help me
I have read in some thread somewhere about another Jamis Renegade Expert owner who had problems with a crack in a seat stay?

He tried to make reclamation but I don´t think he didn’t get any help (his dealer or maybe Jamis said that he had fallen with the bike and made the damage himself)

Now I have the same situation, a damage on one of the seat stays and I really would like to read that thread again (and maybe get in contact with him)
I have never fallen or in any other way my self made any damage to my bike, it was a total chock when i saw this seatstay.JPG

I have made reclamation through my dealer Evans Cycles and am waiting for a reply from them now
I myself think that maybe the seat stays are a little bit too thin (flexing to much)?

Anyone else with experience of this, or maybe can help me find the thread I am searching for?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a steel framed Renegade and dont have issues with my seatstays, but the paint is peeling off around the bottle cage bolt holes and fender bolt holes. I have not even taken the bolts out of the fender mounts and the paint is chipped all around them. Not sure if its an application process issue or what.

I would hope Jamis helps you out in your situation.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a steel framed Renegade and dont have issues with my seatstays, but the paint is peeling off around the bottle cage bolt holes and fender bolt holes. I have not even taken the bolts out of the fender mounts and the paint is chipped all around them. Not sure if its an application process issue or what.

I would hope Jamis helps you out in your situation.

I am sorry but Jamis won´t help me, they say that i have done this myself.

I am devastated, this is not what i expected when buying from a (what i thought) was a legit company

It looks as i am a sucker who have bought a bike from a company with serious credibility issues.

The dealer say that it clearly is my fault and is not covered by warranty.
But if i like i can send the bike back to Evans bikes in England (from Sweden) so they can take a look at it ( but they say that it may not change the outcome)

So my only option is to send the bike back and be whiteout bike for maybe a month or two, then they will send it back, and god knows what more damage it will get in transport, whiteout them probably not changing their mind?

Now i have a bike i can´t trust and no help whatsoever from the dealer or Jamis

This would never have happened with another company like Specialized or Trek or whatever, they trust the customer and help them, rather than just assuming that you are trying to trick them.

·
Registered
744 Posts
looks like some nice upgrades for the 2017 version

2017 Jamis Renegade Adventure Bike | Bicycling
The 2017 changes are great, the improved rack mounts and fork bottle/ low rider rack mounts are wonderful. What disappoints me is the move from 15mm to 12mm on the front thru-axle.

I find the 12mm standard so annoying. Having to worry about everything from roof rack adapters to new hub end caps just to save a few grams. Does anyone know if the 2017 forks allow the threaded inserts to be changed to go back to a 15mm? I plan to buy a Exploit or Expert and will switch to my current better wheels right away.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Shoot, the 54 is too small and the 56 too big. So wish Jamis made it with a 56 top tube.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
593 Posts
Good question. At Sea Otter back in May, Jamis was showing the current 2017 models.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I am sorry but Jamis won´t help me, they say that i have done this myself.

I am devastated, this is not what i expected when buying from a (what i thought) was a legit company

It looks as i am a sucker who have bought a bike from a company with serious credibility issues.

The dealer say that it clearly is my fault and is not covered by warranty.
But if i like i can send the bike back to Evans bikes in England (from Sweden) so they can take a look at it ( but they say that it may not change the outcome)

So my only option is to send the bike back and be whiteout bike for maybe a month or two, then they will send it back, and god knows what more damage it will get in transport, whiteout them probably not changing their mind?

Now i have a bike i can´t trust and no help whatsoever from the dealer or Jamis

This would never have happened with another company like Specialized or Trek or whatever, they trust the customer and help them, rather than just assuming that you are trying to trick them.
That sucks and is concerning. My bike is holding up but the paint looks like hell...chips and missing paint all over it. No cracks or frame damage that I can tell. Never crashed...just from riding and rock dings from gravel roads. I've only put about 1000 miles on my bike too but it looks like it's been ridden for 10k miles. I'll not likely ever buy another Jamis...not so much because of that...but problems with warranty claims makes me worried if something does happen and I do know for a fact that even just contacting Jamis for even non-warranty issues is a huge PITA. And...in all honesty, at MSRP I think their bikes are over priced. I didn't pay full price for mine. Much less in fact as it was a 2015 bought in 2016 and it was a demo. No way in hell I would have paid the $4600 for my bike when it was new.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That sucks and is concerning. My bike is holding up but the paint looks like hell...chips and missing paint all over it. No cracks or frame damage that I can tell. Never crashed...just from riding and rock dings from gravel roads. I've only put about 1000 miles on my bike too but it looks like it's been ridden for 10k miles. I'll not likely ever buy another Jamis...not so much because of that...but problems with warranty claims makes me worried if something does happen and I do know for a fact that even just contacting Jamis for even non-warranty issues is a huge PITA. And...in all honesty, at MSRP I think their bikes are over priced. I didn't pay full price for mine. Much less in fact as it was a 2015 bought in 2016 and it was a demo. No way in hell I would have paid the $4600 for my bike when it was new.
fwiw

i had a renegade expert that i crashed into a downed tree doing ~20mph, cracking it in several places. they gave me an elite frame for $1000, which i thought was generous since this was obviously my fault.

i've now ridden that frame about 4000 miles, have crashed i think twice, and while it has a few scratches and paint chips it is holding up very well, especially given how rough i am on it. i commuted through a nasty winter on it, loads of gravel and road miles, some singletrack, etc.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I'm not that concerned about the bike breaking honestly...though the paint on mine isn't holding up well there seems no issues with the actual frame. Just seems that several folks have had a really hard time with warranty claims though Jamis and I know from experience they are very hard to get a hold of even when you are trying to give them money. Hopefully I won't ever have to find out myself.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts