Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
I recently hit a rut with my 2017 Renegade Expert- low miles, never been crashed - and pow! the seat stay snapped... it's off to Jamis now for warranty consideration.

What a let down. I really hope they take care of me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I recently hit a rut with my 2017 Renegade Expert- low miles, never been crashed - and pow! the seat stay snapped... it's off to Jamis now for warranty consideration.

What a let down. I really hope they take care of me.
that is a bummer. how did it crack? or did it really snap and separate? did you impact it directly?

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Sold my Renegade today. Hated to see it go. Didn't ride it enough to keep. Probably get something new and cheaper next year.

·
Registered
826 Posts
It was as close to a true JRA as there will ever be. I was riding a fire road, and hit a rut with my rear wheel. I hit it hard enough that I wouldn't have been surprised by a pinch flat. But my rear wheel was immediately rubbing something and I was like, man did I really break a spoke on that? Which didn't seem likely.

It was a broken seat stay. Snapped clean through, with no direct impact to the frame.

The bummer is, even with a best case scenario I'll be out some cash, as they warranty the frame only and thus I'm left to pay for the shop to swap parts. That said, the shop charges 50% of list price for this labor, ie they'll split it with me. But that still stings.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Swap it yourself. Wouldn't take more than a couple hours taking your time and needs limited tools.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I guess I shouldn't have complained. I just picked up my Renegade from the shop, Jamis replaced my Expert frame n for with an Elite frame n fork.

I had JUST bought a pair of bottle cages that matched the two green accent stripes on the Expert frame. Anyone need a pair of color matched bottle cages for their Expert?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Can anyone comment on how the Expat or Exploit ride on pavement? Not too heavy? Not a racer, just looking for my first gravel bike.
Bump. I am looking for the answer to this as well. Looking at a Renegade Exploit as a Road bike with occasional gravel and dirt path riding.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the original Expat when it first came out and I have used it as a road bike on and off since the day I got it. This last summer half ways through a 24 hour race my main road bike which was set up tubeless decided it had enough and decided to slice a side wall. I brought my Expat as a back up bike and while still in gravel trim with 42mm tires still on the bike spent the next 11 or so hours as my race steed. Yes it was a little slower than my road bike but the tires were also twice as big. If you were to throw a set of 28 or 32 mm road bike tires on it I am guessing you would be hard pressed to come up with a complaint. Now if you were crit racing or road racing that would be a different story

·
Registered
164 Posts
Can anyone comment on how the Expat or Exploit ride on pavement? Not too heavy? Not a racer, just looking for my first gravel bike.
I own a 2017 Renegade Exploit and love mine! Bought it in July and haven't ridden my road bike since. Trust me, it is NOT slow. It is amazing how this thing moves!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the original Expat when it first came out and I have used it as a road bike on and off since the day I got it. This last summer half ways through a 24 hour race my main road bike which was set up tubeless decided it had enough and decided to slice a side wall. I brought my Expat as a back up bike and while still in gravel trim with 42mm tires still on the bike spent the next 11 or so hours as my race steed. Yes it was a little slower than my road bike but the tires were also twice as big. If you were to throw a set of 28 or 32 mm road bike tires on it I am guessing you would be hard pressed to come up with a complaint. Now if you were crit racing or road racing that would be a different story
Found and purchased a 2017 Exploit in my size that was used as a demo. Only have an hour on the bike, but so far it seems perfect. I may flip the stem and shift the saddle back a touch to get the fit where I want it. Thanks for the info on this bike. It removes some of the apprehension that I had spending $.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Did you get one? I just did. The brake set-up has been a touch tricky but it's definitely beautiful!!!

Ahhh, be careful that you do not pull a brake lever when there is no wheel in place. If you do, you will need to get a caliper spreader and set the brake up all over again.

Hydraulic discs are very nice. But you need to learn their ideosyncracies.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Anyone know offhand the actual seat tube length of a 54cm Jamis Renegade Escapade? I'm just under 5'7" so probably between sizes, a 51 or 54, but the higher stack height of the 54 would make it easier to get my bars up around level with the seat, as my old back prefers. If someone has a 54cm steel Renegade and could post a pic that would be great!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Anyone know offhand the actual seat tube length of a 54cm Jamis Renegade Escapade? I'm just under 5'7" so probably between sizes, a 51 or 54, but the higher stack height of the 54 would make it easier to get my bars up around level with the seat, as my old back prefers. If someone has a 54cm steel Renegade and could post a pic that would be great!
I am guessing a 54 would be closer to your correct size. What is your inseam?

Why don't you test ride one in each size and see which one fits you best?

I am 5'10" with a 32" inseam and ride a size 56 steel Renegade Exploit.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I am guessing a 54 would be closer to your correct size. What is your inseam?

Why don't you test ride one in each size and see which one fits you best?

I am 5'10" with a 32" inseam and ride a size 56 steel Renegade Exploit.
Unfortunately my preferred Jamis dealer has neither size in stock, though they are happy to order one for me. I agree that the 54cm is probably my best bet-my PBH, as measured Rivendell style is 81cm, saddle height is 69-69.4 depending on what shoes/pedals I'm using. I'm just curious about the actual seat tube length and top tube slope.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Unfortunately my preferred Jamis dealer has neither size in stock, though they are happy to order one for me. I agree that the 54cm is probably my best bet-my PBH, as measured Rivendell style is 81cm, saddle height is 69-69.4 depending on what shoes/pedals I'm using. I'm just curious about the actual seat tube length and top tube slope.
Really, no one here who has a 54cm steel framed Renegade is willing to lay a tape measure to the seat tube for a random forum stranger? Everything I've been led to believe about the internet is wrong! B-)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Really, no one here who has a 54cm steel framed Renegade is willing to lay a tape measure to the seat tube for a random forum stranger? Everything I've been led to believe about the internet is wrong! B-)
Well I would measure for you if I had a 54. Unfortunately I have a 56.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts