Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Well I would measure for you if I had a 54. Unfortunately I have a 56.
Heh, well I appreciate the thought. It doesn't matter a lot anyway, I'm just curious. I was really close to ordering a Renegade but then I heard about the upcoming Salsa Journeyman that sounds like it will be a similar bike. I'm going to wait and see what that's about before I commit. Details will be released is in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
5'7" sizing

Anyone know offhand the actual seat tube length of a 54cm Jamis Renegade Escapade? I'm just under 5'7" so probably between sizes, a 51 or 54, but the higher stack height of the 54 would make it easier to get my bars up around level with the seat, as my old back prefers. If someone has a 54cm steel Renegade and could post a pic that would be great!
I'm just over 5'7" with short legs, stocky build, and I went with the 51. The 54 top tube was jammed up a bit too high plus the reach just felt too long to me. With the stem angle turned up, my seat is still pretty darn close to even with the handlebars. I'm just not flexible enough to reach out that far and the reach on these is a bit long (bummer, but still a great bike).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Has any Jamis Renegade steel/aluminum frame owners run WTB Resolute tires on their bikes? Even though the tires are listed as 42mm wide, I've read some reviews that when they are fully inflated, they measure upwards to 43-45mm and I'm wondering if they might be too wide for my Expat (rated for up to 42mm).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi guys! Found a great deal on Renegade Expert Carbon and super excited to finally join the gravel grinder club and do some cross training for MTBing!

Overall I'm super happy with the bike, but the one area that I felt was lacking was the stopping power. I did a few short runs beforehand to bed in the brakes, but on the longer descents the brakes just weren't there.

I noticed that stock pads are "resin" and maybe I'm just use to the semi-metallics on my MTB, but what you are running and any recommendation for beefing up the stopping power?

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I can answer my own question now-the actual seattube on a 54cm measures right around 50.5cm! I picked this up late last week and got in a couple of good ride over the weekend. I like it! It handles well, feels relatively lively (though it is not a lightweight) and with a couple of swapped out parts, fits and suits me well. I think it's a keeper...

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Steve, great looking renegade! I am actually looking to order the exact bike. Size and all! I am 5'8 with 31ish cycle inseam so hopefully size 54 for me. How do you enjoy the reynolds steel ride quality? Jamis says that bike weighs 22lbs. Think that's accurate? Thx

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Steve, great looking renegade! I am actually looking to order the exact bike. Size and all! I am 5'8 with 31ish cycle inseam so hopefully size 54 for me. How do you enjoy the reynolds steel ride quality? Jamis says that bike weighs 22lbs. Think that's accurate? Thx

Steve, what stem length did u go with for your fit also?
Thanks, I'm pretty pleased with it-hope to get a 650bX48 wheel/tire set up in there soon! You are an inch taller than I, closer to the height of my buddy that also rides a 54cm steel Jamis, actually. He flipped the stock stem to get the bars a little higher and it works fine for him. I've only put 60 or so miles on it so I haven't formed much of an impression for frame ride quality. It is a smooth riding bike, though some of that surely comes down to the plump tires. It lacks the snappy acceleration of a race bike, but if you are more into laying down miles than sprinting, I think it is a great option. A lighter wheelset and narrower tires may improve snap but would impact the versatility that made me want it in the first place. It's not really a slow feeling bike, especially once you're rolling. The weight, well, Jamis is far from the only brand that fudges those numbers. Maybe they weighed the smallest frame? I have a cheap old scale-it's not precise, but this bike as it rolled off the showroom floor is at best 24 pounds. Not a concern to me, honestly, especially at this price point. Re fit, I put a zero setback post on it to get the saddle where I need it to be in relation to the bottom bracket, and an 8cm stem to shorten the reach a hair and it feels pretty spot on.

Here's a test fit pic of the 650bX48 GravelKing SK in back-waiting on a 12mm axle conversion for the front. Looks pretty capable!

41207841541_675e455fc6_h.jpg

·
Registered
145 Posts
Steve, how's the standover height on your 54 work for you. Looks a little tall but maybe just the pics? Hope your enjoying the ride!

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Steve, how's the standover height on your 54 work for you. Looks a little tall but maybe just the pics? Hope your enjoying the ride!
No issues at all-bear in mind that I'm used to traditional road bikes with a level (or nearly so) top tube so I don't expect to have mtb-amounts of standover clearance.

I got out again on it last evening for a casual 20 miles and it's an extremely smooth and comfortable bike! I am really happy with it. I got the parts I need to do my 650b conversion now so that'll happen hopefully in time to try this weekend!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Steve if your still watching this renegade post...I just ordered one just like yours today. Should be in next week. Pretty stoked!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Cool, I hope you enjoy it! I hit a snag with my 650b-ing but hope to get it sorted later this week.
What snag did you hit with this, Steve? I am building up a 650b wheelset for my Renegade and planning on running 650bx47 WTB Byways on them. Are you planning on getting a new set of discs or will you just move the discs from your 700c wheelset?

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
What snag did you hit with this, Steve? I am building up a 650b wheelset for my Renegade and planning on running 650bx47 WTB Byways on them. Are you planning on getting a new set of discs or will you just move the discs from your 700c wheelset?
Nothing too troubling-I have an older wheelset I want to use and it won't work with the cassette I had in mind. (10/11 speed mtb hub, road 11 speed cassette-Shimano was stupid to make these incompatible, imo!) I have 650bX48 Panaracer Gravel king SK's on WTB KOM i23 rims and they fit the bike without issue.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Nothing too troubling-I have an older wheelset I want to use and it won't work with the cassette I had in mind. (10/11 speed mtb hub, road 11 speed cassette-Shimano was stupid to make these incompatible, imo!) I have 650bX48 Panaracer Gravel king SK's on WTB KOM i23 rims and they fit the bike without issue.
Oh OK, thanks. Yeah, the Renegade uses road disc hubs (100x12, 142x12). Most mountain hubs are 15mm TA. I'm going to be building up with the KOM i25s and Shimano RS770 hubs. Do you like the KOMs?

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Oh OK, thanks. Yeah, the Renegade uses road disc hubs (100x12, 142x12). Most mountain hubs are 15mm TA. I'm going to be building up with the KOM i25s and Shimano RS770 hubs. Do you like the KOMs?
Yeah, I had to get an adapter to make the 15mm front hub work: https://www.amazon.com/15mm-Thru-Axle-12mm-Adapter/dp/B076DM2WXS Works fine.

I've been using KOM rims on my Curtlo (mtb) since they were first introduced and they're great. Light, tough, easy and reliable tubeless set-up. No complaints, and they've been far more abused than anything I put on the Renegade will be!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yeah, I had to get an adapter to make the 15mm front hub work: https://www.amazon.com/15mm-Thru-Axle-12mm-Adapter/dp/B076DM2WXS Works fine.

I've been using KOM rims on my Curtlo (mtb) since they were first introduced and they're great. Light, tough, easy and reliable tubeless set-up. No complaints, and they've been far more abused than anything I put on the Renegade will be!
They seem like good rims. All the complaints of failure I've read have been from people who have used them for downhill - isn't that what the Frequency is for? For a gravel grinder, I don't perceive any potential problems with the KOM.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I really want to test ride a 51cm expat but nobody around here has anything in stock. One local shop had a 2017 a day or so ago but is now gone. They still wanted full MSRP on it being 1 year old. I havent seen any discounted models from last year. I dont think jamis made any changes to the bike for 2018 other than the paint scheme. I am hoping to find something to test ride soon. I have been looking at this bike since January.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts