Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like (QBP pricing) the 29" carbon fork will cost the same as the newly announced 26" Ti fork, or 17.8% more than the standard 26" one.
Making the Pace 29" retail well over $400 I'mmsure, or at least $60 more than the 26" version.

Typo or 25 really expensive mm's?

Claimed weight for the RC29 is 750g over 695g for the RC31, so possibly they reinforced it somewhat rather than just sticking 25mm longer tubes on it. But are cheap carbon fork more expensive because more carbon was used ? ;-)

None are in stock at QBP right now, and it doesn't when, so don't ask :)
465mm a-c, 42mm offset, so KM fork 468/43 owners shouldn't be able to tell the steering difference. Almost a pound weight less and some cush more though, I would expect.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You mean you had a custom built around it.
I know someone who's having a 29"er built around the same fork dimensions, getting the Ti one, very bling.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Looks like (QBP pricing) the 29" carbon fork will cost the same as the newly announced 26" Ti fork, or 17.8% more than the standard 26" one.
Making the Pace 29" retail well over $400 I'mmsure, or at least $60 more than the 26" version.

Typo or 25 really expensive mm's?

Claimed weight for the RC29 is 750g over 695g for the RC31, so possibly they reinforced it somewhat rather than just sticking 25mm longer tubes on it. But are cheap carbon fork more expensive because more carbon was used ? ;-)

None are in stock at QBP right now, and it doesn't when, so don't ask :)
465mm a-c, 42mm offset, so KM fork 468/43 owners shouldn't be able to tell the steering difference. Almost a pound weight less and some cush more though, I would expect.
I assume it is reinforced as the 29 will take a 185mm rotor but the 31 can only take 165mm max. I agree the price hike is a little cheeky.

·
Registered
356 Posts
spoke w/ bikeman

I talked w/ someone from bikeman late last week when I saw the dirty thirty ad in dirt rag. He said they were able to sell them a little cheaper because they are doing a 69er and were able to get them straight from Pace as OEM and could order and sell them without the frame. Thus bypassing QBP and their markup. He also said they would probably have them before Quality did. Mid December for bikeman and I just got an e-mail back from Pace saying just after Christmas for QBP distribution.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahah, so they're really investing into this!
Below the Carver 96'er text :

"Full Suspension frames are coming soon!"

SIGH...

·
Registered
260 Posts
covering R&D costs?

perhaps they are more expensive to cover the design costs and the fact there will probably not the economies of scale with relation to the 26" products.

Though you have to wonder how many 26" forks make per batch.

·
Registered
66 Posts
LJintheUK said:
I assume it is reinforced as the 29 will take a 185mm rotor but the 31 can only take 165mm max. I agree the price hike is a little cheeky.
I've not seen that info anywhere and at 2 grams per mm of extra length I don't think they've done much more reinforcing than necessary.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you ready spend $60 more for that still? A 650g fork the price of a complete Redline 29" bike? Hmm, I'd love one :)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Are you ready spend $60 more for that still? A 650g fork the price of a complete Redline 29" bike? Hmm, I'd love one :)
Absolutely! $60 for 100 grams is a steal! And then there's the whole issue of not having to worry about your fork suddenly failing catastrophically because you clipped a rock outcropping with it a few months back.

·
Registered
798 Posts
R&D costs

Despite what many might think, the RC29 fork is unique and is taking extra time to build, test and develop. Pace also took the needed steps to take proper liability insurance out for the US market.

I'll gladly wait the needed time and pay the extra few dollars to get it right. I can't wait to put one on my 4 lb Dos Niner frame. That bike is just going to fly - rigid & light with a little give.

Jason
Salsa Crew

·
MaineMud
121 Posts
tibiker325 said:
I talked w/ someone from bikeman late last week when I saw the dirty thirty ad in dirt rag. He said they were able to sell them a little cheaper because they are doing a 69er and were able to get them straight from Pace as OEM and could order and sell them without the frame. Thus bypassing QBP and their markup. He also said they would probably have them before Quality did. Mid December for bikeman and I just got an e-mail back from Pace saying just after Christmas for QBP distribution.
NOT TRUE...I'd like to find out who you talked to. We are getting a few RC29 forks (probably in late January) that will ONLY be sold with frames and complete bikes. In the meantime, we (and a whole lot of other people) are anxiously awaiting QBP's shipment. We saw them at Interbike, and I can tell you this.. they're worth waiting for!

·
Registered
702 Posts
TomL said:
I've not seen that info anywhere and at 2 grams per mm of extra length I don't think they've done much more reinforcing than necessary.
The info came from Pace. The RC 31 info is on their website and I emailled them about the RC 29, specifically about 185mm rotor use :) .

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
miles e said:
Absolutely! $60 for 100 grams is a steal! And then there's the whole issue of not having to worry about your fork suddenly failing catastrophically because you clipped a rock outcropping with it a few months back.
Has anyone ever heard of an actual PACE rigid fork failure?

Evidently ti has failed...(pic from SS board)

That said, I rode a XACD 660g 468mm rigid fork for 1.5 years HARD with no incident. I am pushing the scales at 155lbs though, and I could get the fork to flex.

Bet it would be scary for a 180+ pounder...

LP

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.