Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

GIRO Switchblade Failure

37K views 65 replies 24 participants last post by  RocketMagnet 
Not really sure I'm willing to extrapolate the performance of the Giro include 2R's. I certainly wouldn't replace a normal full face with a 2R, but I'm pretty confident my 2R will leave me in better shape than a Fox Flux.

It's an entirely different helmet. That's like saying if something broke on your Toyota, that it'll also break on your Honda. The attachment system for the 2R looks quite a bit more substantial.

Also, the MET is a two piece helmet. It isn't a single piece shell like a Fox Rampage, the chin bar is entirely separate and attached with 2 rivets on each side. I'd put just as much faith in the MET as a 2R, which is to say plenty, but neither are a true full face helmet.

Hey all, I took a bad crash yesterday. My Switchblade came unclipped. I am ok. Cracked the helmet, but no concussion or broken bones. Just road rash on my side. I was in the process of testing several convertible helmets for a shootout on MTBR. Now, I'm not so sure about the concept...I have reached out to Giro regarding the issue. Have any of you spoken with the company? Anyone had an issue with other convertible helmets? Feel free to PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Giro attachment looks suspect to begin with. Granted looks can be deceiving, but Bell's approach of continuing the chin bar around the entire helmet and locking it in with molded knobs certainly appears to be a better approach.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.