Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about getting a Zumo 660 for a big motorcycle trip I have planned.

But I was wondering the value for mountain bikers.

Obviously the Bluetooth, cellphone compatibility, and mp3's have only so much value for someone who rides to get away from it all.

And if chose to use monitor my training, I would just use a separate HR monitor and certainly no power meter for offroad.

It seems like the other value for GPS units is saving routes, which I assume the Zumo would do the same as the Edge, and speed during the ride, particularly at a particular point.

I also assume that the Zumo would tell you exactly where you are, whether it was a road or a trail.

Anyone use the Zumo?

·
since 4/10/2009
34,357 Posts
have you seen how big one of those things is? Fine on the motorcycle, but serious overkill on the mtb. What's the battery life on them? Do they even have a battery?

I used to use a GPSMap 76 CSx, but I found it way too big for the handlebars. I went with an Edge for size purposes mostly. The HRM was only secondary because I already had a Polar HRM.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5 hour for the Zumo vs 15 for the Edge.

Size is 5.3"x3.3"x.9", 9.5oz vs 2x4.3x1, 3.7oz.

I guess I should have mentioned I wasn't going to strap it to my bars of my mountain bike, but take it in the camelbak.

But your size concerns are a good one. I wouldn't want to strap the Zumo to my bars.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,357 Posts
at 5hrs battery life, you're probably pushing it for a long bike ride. If it's anything like my Nuvi, it's not so good at displaying tracks. That size difference may not look like much on paper, but it makes a difference. This is a different model compared to the Zumo's I've seen in the past (which are much bigger). And tossing a touch screen into a backpack? Be ready for scratched screens and accidental button presses. You're better off taking a cheap eTrex on the trail and leaving the Zumo for the motorcycle.

Plus, you want an outdoor unit to give you the option to display your raw GPS coordinates. I have not seen any car GPS receivers that do this. The Nuvi 500 might considering it's preloaded with topo maps, but I won't hold my breath.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.