Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone with experience with these? I got one. Go to Post 12

I'm getting a bit of creak out of my Wheels press fit non-thread bb and the thread together are like $90. This ZTTO is $26. The listings I see have drawings and pretty good schematics.

I could do the Loctite 638 treatment but I've had good luck with the thread together designs. I may get this one.

If the bearings take a dump I won't be sad because I want to try the fancy new SKF solid oil bearings anyway.

·
Registered
2018 Trek Stache
1,517 Posts
The only thing that has me concerned is according to this picture only 86.5 shells will benefit from the thread together aspect of this BB. It says that it will fit shells up to 96mm but the picture shows that it is not threaded together at that width. By looking at the picture I don't think that at 92mm it is threading together.

Product Line Font Parallel Cylinder

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're welcome.

It's already in the country, be here in a few days. Bad news - I found the same thing for $16 shipped. Got ripped off! :)

·
Registered
2018 Trek Stache
1,517 Posts

Attachments

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE

The bb arrived in a cheap cardboard box with no instructions.

Shell width at 91.5mm shows almost all the threads engaged.

Outer diameter is within a hundredth of a mm of my Wheels Mfg unit.

Now here's a problem. This comes with 6805 bearings which are almost 25mm inner diameter. Shimano spindles are 24mm and bearing i.d. for PF92 is 24mm. They made up for this by including these cheesy plastic shims you've seen in the pics, BUT these spacers/covers have no seal. I want to use a better seal. So I pressed out my Enduro angular contact bearings from my Wheels unit and put them in the ZTTO. Problem solved.

Shell weight without bearings is the same as the Wheels.

But which retaining compound to use? 638 says it's high strength and permanent with a 4ksi strength. I used that for the bearing/shell interface. 609 is medium strength at 2ksi for removable fittings. I used that for the shell/bicycle interface.

It installed on my bike with no problems and my cranks spin nicely.

Conclusions - Not sure, I haven't ridden it yet. But if this is a good shell, you can get it for cheap and put some good bearings in it.

Example, 2x Wheels Enduro sealed bearings is $20 plus shipping: https://wheelsmfg.com/products/bott...ro-24x37-abec-3-sealed-bearings-bag-of-2.html
ZTTO bb shell is $20: 143291892593

$40 something total.

·
Land of the 230+
2,569 Posts
Schulz, hows the ztto BB holding up for you? I ordered up a new frame, and plan to build up the old one with spare parts laying around, so the bike wont see as many miles as my primary ride. Was looking to get something cheap and ordered one of these up. Since I run sram, I also ordered a 24 to 22 BB adapter, so theres an added layer of complexity. I figured worst case scenario, I can simply swap out bearings and reuse the thread together housing. I have the original wheels MFG bearings before I swapped out for enduro bearings, I wonder if those might fit. The bearings were still plenty good.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I also got update on ZTTO shell for PF30 frame and PF30 spindle (link to aliexpress)

same cons - bad quality bearing (mine was dead after 400km)

also mine bb was unthreaded two times

after first occasion i tightened it. it worked for 100 km and unthreaded again

after second ocassion i unthreaded one cup, cleaned bb hole, added some paste (Dynamic carbonmontagepaste), threated it in and marked to see will it loose again

Purple Carmine Magenta Rim Violet

now its 1k km done and all looks good

·
Registered
108 Posts
ive got a liiiiitle sideplay in crankset with newly installed bearings, but it look like an worn axle issue

as i see, its quite common problem for 30mm alu axles, that contact directly with stainless bearing shell :(

·
Registered
269 Posts
Trying out the ZTTO Thread Together Press Fit bottom bracket. Proactively replaced the bearings with some Japanese (EZO) ones - we'll see how long it lasts.

Aluminum shell machining looks great, the bearing has an ID of 25mm (instead of 24mm) so a plastic shim / spacer is used (similar to what Shimano does with their press-fit BB's). Looks like it's made out of ABS plastic, probably gonna disintegrate over time. Would have been nice if it's made out of Delrin instead (as that would have been tough, and will pretty much last a lifetime). Bearings used are 6805-2RS (25mm bore, 37mm OD, 7mm width).

The others i've tried (Wheels Mfg BB86-OUT, and the Origin 8 Revolvr [Token Ninja]) uses a bearing with a 24mm ID so no shim required (crank spindle contacts the Id of the bearing). Bearing used are MR2437 ( 24mm bore, 37mm OD, 7mm width). That direct contact though, causes the spindle to wear (as you can see from my crank, the shiny part).

Pretty easy to replace the bearings on these things as long as you got the proper tools. If one wanted to get rid of the plastic shim/spacer and make it direct contact, just replace the bearings on the ZTTO with MR2437 bearings, then buy the Wheels MFG Shim Spacer Pack (#SHIM-SPACER-PK) for about 12$ shipped (so you'll have a seal, and some shims)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.