Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Wheel dilema here. What would you rather buy for your 5 spot?

Cane Creek zonos Disc Team

or

Dt 4.1 with super comp spokes, CK rear ISO hub, and Hope pro II front (for possible conversion to 20mm) - built by Chad red barn.

I want a light, stiff, snappy set. I will not be doing more that 5' drops to flat

I can get both of the above for about the same price +/- $100.

What would you choose???????????????????????????

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
seriously, to me it is a 100% no-brainer, the Dt / king / hope. that is a great wheelset by all accounts. though depending on your weight and how often you are really gonna do 5' to flats, i would not get the supercomp spokes and probably not the 4.1 rims....those are great rims but not 5' to flat rims.

as for the Zonos, those are very ghey anyway.....pretty much everything from Cane Creek is ghey, especially their rear coil shocks

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
Seriously, 5 feet to flat?

In that case, I'd recommend neither of your alternatives. You're more in the zone of the Cane Creek Duros or the CK/DT 5.2 (5.2 replaces 5.1 and 4.2 replaces 4.1 -- don't get caught with last year's rims -- oh no)!

Either is great. CC rear wheels are the ONLY kind I've had hold up worth a darn on my road bike. King rear hubs are the ONLY kind I've had hold up worth a darn on my mtb.

For me, I'd probably stick with the CK rear hub in an mtb application. The bonus of regular, easy to replace spokes (CC uses straight pull) would be a factor, too.

Here's the big BUTT. In my experience, a CC rear wheel is far stiffer than the CK/DT/DT you've described. They are laced really tight!

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
I agree, you definitely don't want the 4.1. The 4.1 is mainly a rim brake rim. The 4.1d "disc" brake rim is just the same as the 4.1 with black painted sidewalls. The 4.2 is their new XC disc only rim. It's optimized for disc and is much wider and lighter than the 4.1d. So maybe the 4.2 if you're looking for ultralight but probably the DT EX5.1 would be a better bet.

Hope/King is the way to go if you have the cash.

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
Another vote for the custom build.... as homebrew, I would take the 5.1s .. if you want lighter take the 4.2d... Chad will build them nice and strong from what I've heard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.