Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a forum search and visited the daevh.uk in an attempt to figure out what is happening while Im trying to remove the left (ETA side) cap from my fork but havent had any luck so I figured Id throw it out to youse guys....

This is an '04 Z150 Drop Off which is an OEM fork- different from the FR or SL. Unfortunately I dont think that there are too many around. I want to check the oil levels and had success in removing the right cap and spring but when trying to remove the left cap it backs out to near the end of the threads but then just stops and spins (occasionally thumpling like the threads are just clearing and then slipping back in again). I tried to remove the cap with the fork extended and also with the fork locked down with the ETA but have the same problem in each different configuration. Any ideas on what may be going on?

The fork itself is pretty harsh- it seems like it is fairly soft through the first 1" of travel but then ramps up quickly making the ride uncomfortable. I havent used all of the travel yet (drops to flat) and am thinking that *maybe* the oil level is too high and I need to take some out. No air preload, stock (yellow) springs any thoughts? It doesnt seem like the ETA is locking down as far as it should either.

Thanks

Matt

·
mtbr platinum member
1,426 Posts
I'm not sure what's keeping your top-cap from coming off. When I was running only one spring in my Marathon S (air preload only), I had to use a pick to help lift the cap up as I turned the top cap. Since there wasn't a spring inside pushing up against the underside of the cap, it wouldn't come up and out of the threads very easily due to the o-ring that seals the top cap threads- it needed a little assistance.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
That's an odd one. I just looked at the '04 Marz service CD, and there doesn't look like anything different from top cap removal on your DO compared to many other ETA or ECC top caps. You do realize that the top cap is actually bolted on an inner shaft connected to the rest of the damper. However, it should still unscrew, and when completely unthreaded, you should be able to compress your fork, and the top cap and bolted damper rod should be standing upright as you compress your fork. You then remove the top cap from the rod with a 10mm wrench on that aluminum nut under the cap...be careful...it's soft.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah It's wierd....I do know that the cap is connected to the rod (and need to use the 10mm hex to get it off) but even with the shock compressed a bit it still wont come free from the crown. Maybe it's hung on a few threads. Id hate to muscle it and screw up the cap......

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So it was indeed hung on the last thread, I did a bit of muscling and it popped up (leaving some aluminum shavings on the crown threads which I promptly cleaned up). So after removing the springs to check the oil (the ETA rod and cart are still attached, fork completely compressed there is no oil above the ETA cart. From all Ive read there should be oil @ 70mm below the top of the crown. ???

The fork is acting like it has too much oil, can I just try to take some out of the right leg and see if that helps?

Thanks for the advice Im a bit perplexed.....

·
mtbr platinum member
1,426 Posts
Mattr said:
So after removing the springs to check the oil (the ETA rod and cart are still attached, fork completely compressed there is no oil above the ETA cart. From all Ive read there should be oil @ 70mm below the top of the crown. ???

The fork is acting like it has too much oil, can I just try to take some out of the right leg and see if that helps?

Thanks for the advice Im a bit perplexed.....
Did you push the cartridge rod and ETA rod all the way down too? That makes quite a difference, as it pushes a lot of oil out of the cartridges and into the open-bath area and raises the oil up.

You can just remove oil from the rebound side if it is too high. Be careful removing too much from the ETA side, or else it might not engage properly.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Biker X I tried that and did get some oil to come to the top of the cart. I was able to remove some from both sides and it helped the ride quite a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.