Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen the new Rocco TST yet? I'm wondering how one would work on a Nomad? I saw on a VPX with a Rocco today; it was uber plush. I've been running a 550 lb spring on my DHX and the VPX had a 500lb spring; there was no comparison, the Rocco was way more plush. If you can create a stable platform for the climb with a flick of the switch and turn around and have super plush travel on the way down, it might be worth a try; anybody seen one yet?

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
From Marzocchi web site the Roco TST does not come in 8.5" size, but the closest is 8.75", so it goes back to the shock lenght thread. The Roco World Cup comes in 8.5", but doesn't have the TST/lockout features and quite honestly I don't think you need it.

I keep hearing the Nomad does not platform and after experimenting with the DHX-A with propedal at a minimum and the 5th element I tend to believe that.

I'm going to get a new coil shock for my nomad. I just haven't decided if it is going to be a DHX coil, a Marzocchi Roco WC or a CCDB (darn expensive, but apparently the best)

I would love to have a Marzocchi only setup (front and rear) :D
Btw does anybody know how much does the Roco weigh? It isn't published anywhere, which make me think is an anchor...

ZT

·
Registered
1 Posts
5th Element in Nomad

I am Nomad L-Frame owner. It was supplied with Fox Float R rear shock, but I was not satisfied of them. Float R works not-consequently, my friend called this syndrome "un-repeatibility" :D So, I bought factory stock-cleaning 5th Element with 8,5" lenght (labelled Bullit by Progressive Susp.) and it works OK. For the first 40km it creaked and I use Finish Line Teflon oil to grease it. Now I ride in peace.
My weight is 220lbs and I used 650lbs spring from Manitou (it was used in Swinger). Regards from Poland

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I have the Rocco WC and no, the Nomad DOES NOT need a platform shock unless you are doing Olympic XC races with it! I can barely see the linkage move a tiny bit when I'm pedalling my Rocco on pavement. In the trails, sure it move, heck it is absorbing the bumps so it has to move. Anyway, my opinion, don't bother with the TST on a Nomad, if you were on a Heckler or other single pivot bike, sure TST makes sense but not on a VPP linkage. My opinion.

For weight, photos below, it is not light but not a boat anchor either. First is body only, not much more then a DHX, then a steel spring and finally TI spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys, help me out; I looked on the Marzocchi website and it says the Rocco TST R is offered in a 8.5 x 2.5. At least that's what it says in the Travel Offerings section. Have you read or been told the TST R does not come in 8.5? this is important information.

In terms of the performance of your rear shock, I'd say personal preference and riding style has a lot to do with your choice. No doubt the Nomad suspension will work well with a Rocco World Cup; Banzi gave us some good reports. However, more relevant to my concerns is the question of will the Rocco perform the way I want it too?

The Rocco, by nature, is a FR/DH design; it's geared towards providing a plush ride. Unfortunately, what goes down-for me, must go up to get there; in other words, I end up pedaling up more than I get to ride down. That said, having a firm platform for the climbs is important.

Because of my weight, 225, I have trouble finding a working balance between firm and plush; the 600lb spring on the 8.5 x 2.5 DHX is too long and too stiff and the 550 doesn't support my weight on steep climbs. With the DHX, I end up fiddling with the adjustments way too much. I might be dreaming, but it seems like having the TST ajustment would make it easier to stiffen up the suspension on the way up and open it back up for the way down. But at the end of the day, I suspect having the TST would end up being just as mush of a pain as all the adjustments on the DHX.

I know the DHX works really well for most people-especially the riders who are under 200lbs; it's a different story for big guys. Even though I'd like to think the Rocco TST would be the magic bullit, I'm not sure it's the way to go. Even the best suspension gurus in the business will tell you the biggest challenge they face is creating that balance between firm and plush.

Based on everything I've read and heard from those that know, the Avalanche sounds like the best way to go for heavy riders. But I'd sure like to hear some reports on the Rocco TST. But if it doesn't come in 8.5 x 2.5, it's a non issue.

Pushed DHX with a Racer Upgrade; 8.5 x 2.5 soon to go on the block:eek:

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Turtle, it's hard to believe that Marz doesn't or at least won't be offering the 8.5 X 2.5 size in that shock. I don't believe it, anyway. This is becoming one of the most common sizes for many, many, bikes. Maybe it's just an accidental ommision or the shock isn't released yet. I guarantee that if they'll offer an 8.75, they'll offer an 8.5. Marz did tell me on the phone a short while back that they won't make the air model ROCO in anything bigger than 7.875, which sounded a little odd.

And I agree on the no-platform-needed take on the Nomad. I've now used a PUSH'd Fox RC coil and a Manitou Evolver (no platform in either) air shock on mine, and I'm impressed how efficient yet compliant the base suspension platform is without any help.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it was Zen Turtle-a very distant cousin:D who said Marzocchi was not offering the Rocco TST in a 8.5 x 2.5; but I could be mistaken. Anway, the Marzocchi website says they offer it in 8.5 x 2.5 and so does Bluesky; thanks boogie man. I'll call bluesky and see what they say; I just might have to order one up if they've got them. I can see spending 300 much easier than 550 for the Avy. But then again, the Avy is gonna be sweet. I'm looking forward to hearing a review.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Turtle, I'm a light rider but I go as much up as I go down. I have a Push Float R custom setup for my weight and a Rocco. I can assure you, I really can't feel the difference going up between the two even if one is a coil with no platform and weighs a pound more. Heck maybe I'm completely numb when I ride ;) but for me at least, going up with a non platform Rocco is a non issue. Where I do see a difference between the Float and the Rocco is on fast rocky downhill, and by downhill I don't necessarily mean lift assisted DH mountain, it can be a longer downhill going singletrack. For that, at higher speeds, I feel that the Rocco as an edge over the Float, it feels more controled, it's damping feel more stable. However, when riding technical trails with lots of rocks and roots, short uphill and downhill, sometimes I feel the Push Float feels better, the suspension feels a bit quicker. Anyway, I'm not too good with descriptions, all I want to say is a lot of people worry way too much trying to have a "platformy" ride on the Nomad. Let the incredible VPP design do it's magic and you'll have a smile on your face. The Rocco WC (as well as my Float), are bolt and forget type of shock. No messing around with 20 different adjustments and always worrying if it's adjusted to get the ultimate out of the shock, no no, just a few clicks on the comp and rebound adjusments and then ride, ride baby ride! :D

Zen_Turtle said:
...I would love to have a Marzocchi only setup (front and rear) :D
Hey Zen_Turtle, here you go, Marzo Roco rear, Marzo AM1 front!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Holy s$$T; you guys get me in trouble every time; now I'm in big trouble. First I want to say thanks for the review and explanation of how the Rocco works on the Nomad; putting experience into words is hard :thumbsup: That said, I totally agree with you about not needing a platform shock on the Nomad; most people I know who ride a VPP bike will say the same thing. What's different (for me) is I ride slower going up than just about anybody.

Once you get a VPP bike moving on the trail the suspension creates a stable ride-I hope that's the right way to describe why the Nomad pedals well without a platform shock. Problem for me is I usually ride so slow, I get caught flat footed on the short steep stuff. When I try to climb out of the hole, I end up too far into the travel to get going. hope that makes sense.

My Pushed DHX 5.0 with no pro-pedal or bottom out adjuster is super plush and it works really well on the Nomad; once I get it going, it flies over the rough stuff. But If I'm going slow and get caught at the bottom of a short steep climb, I might as well get off the bike and push; I dip way to much into the travel . So for most of you-especially the guys under 200lbs, I'm not surprised to hear the Rocco gobbles and works well on the Nomad.

So I got to thinking:madman: gets me in trouble every time. I got on the phone with Marzocchi and asked them about the Rocco TST R. First, they are offering the Rocco TST R in 8.5 x 2.5, but they are not in stock-they're waiting for a shipment from Italy. I asked about spring weight too; they told me they're spec sheet says the biggest spring for the TST R is a 525lb.

Interestingly, the reps boss is a 200lb plus rider and has a large Nomad. In addition, he's been testing the Rocco TST R. The rep told me his boss loves the Rocco TST R, he says it works well. in addition, he says you can turn the TST off and you'll have dh plushness and or you can use it to create a more stable ride; the range is uber plush to almost locked out.

What's cool is you can adjust the TST on the bike while you're riding. Did I get to the part where I said I'm ordering one as soon as they're availalbe; I placed the order today. What's really cool is you can use different sprigs. I should have known when to quit, but I stayed on the phone and asked about the new 07 66 SL ATA:madman:

As luck would have it, the rep I talked with had the 06 66 SL; it was cool hearing all the stuff we've learned from on the trail experience supported by the Marzocchi rep. What was not so cool hearing him talk about the improvements in the 07 66 SL; he made it sound soooooooooo sweet. I bet you think I fell for the sales pitch:rolleyes: I was strong-I resisted UGI-at least for another 5 minutes. But as soon as I got off the phone my knees started clicking together and I caved; I called my local shop and ordered the new fork.

Somehow I know I'm not responsible for my insanity; it's not my fault; I swear I will never do it again. So the Rocco TST is on the way when they hit the US and an 07 66 SL is in the wind:eekster: I've done enough damage for one day.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BanzaiRider said:
Turtle, I'm a light rider but I go as much up as I go down. I have a Push Float R custom setup for my weight and a Rocco. I can assure you, I really can't feel the difference going up between the two even if one is a coil with no platform and weighs a pound more. Heck maybe I'm completely numb when I ride ;) but for me at least, going up with a non platform Rocco is a non issue. Where I do see a difference between the Float and the Rocco is on fast rocky downhill, and by downhill I don't necessarily mean lift assisted DH mountain, it can be a longer downhill going singletrack. For that, at higher speeds, I feel that the Rocco as an edge over the Float, it feels more controled, it's damping feel more stable. However, when riding technical trails with lots of rocks and roots, short uphill and downhill, sometimes I feel the Push Float feels better, the suspension feels a bit quicker. Anyway, I'm not too good with descriptions, all I want to say is a lot of people worry way too much trying to have a "platformy" ride on the Nomad. Let the incredible VPP design do it's magic and you'll have a smile on your face. The Rocco WC (as well as my Float), are bolt and forget type of shock. No messing around with 20 different adjustments and always worrying if it's adjusted to get the ultimate out of the shock, no no, just a few clicks on the comp and rebound adjusments and then ride, ride baby ride! :D

Hey Banzai; nice colors; I bet I might know where you can find a 66 SL for your bike:D

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Turtle, you're bad, real bad! By the way, too late with your 66 SL marketing, I'm a coil fork guy, I'm old and very conservative so don't even try to convince me that an air fork can be as good as a coil, it wont work! :D My current AM1 will be replaced soon by an 07 Nixon coil 160mm with 20mm axle... ;)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BanzaiRider said:
Turtle, you're bad, real bad! By the way, too late with your 66 SL marketing, I'm a coil fork guy, I'm old and very conservative so don't even try to convince me that an air fork can be as good as a coil, it wont work! :D My current AM1 will be replaced soon by an 07 Nixon coil 160mm with 20mm axle... ;)
Sorry senior, you can't pull the wool over a turtles eyes all the time; I've seen pictures of you on your bike and there's was nothing old about the way you were flying over those rocks:thumbsup: I've heard good things about the Nixon; I bet you like that fork.

As for the way the 66 SL rides, give one a spin if you haven't already, I've been really happy with mine. Like you, I rode coils before too and didn't have any intention of switching. No kidding, if the 66 SL is set up right, it's as plush as plush can be; couldn't ask for better performance. Cessna rides a Nixon and swears by it; he says it's super plush.

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
BanzaiRider said:
:arf: :arf: :arf:
I'm drooling on my keyboard.
Thanks for posting the weigh of the Roco and the Ti vs. Steel springs: now I know what to do.

BTW how do you like the controls on the Roco - how tunable is it?
ZT

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
Turtle 1 said:
I think it was Zen Turtle-a very distant cousin:D who said Marzocchi was not offering the Rocco TST in a 8.5 x 2.5; but I could be mistaken. Anway, the Marzocchi website says they offer it in 8.5 x 2.5 and so does Bluesky; thanks boogie man. I'll call bluesky and see what they say; I just might have to order one up if they've got them. I can see spending 300 much easier than 550 for the Avy. But then again, the Avy is gonna be sweet. I'm looking forward to hearing a review.
Just what I read on Marzocchi web site.... but I had seen the BlueSkyCycling page with the 8.5...

BTW it's Roco and not Rocco.
Rocco is a famous italian p0rn star :p :p makes me laugh every time you write that way...
ZT

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do you guys know whether i can get a roco at eye to eye 7.825 300lbs X 2.5? Havent found a website that has it in that.

And also, the brushings and spring, where can i purchase them?

many thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Zen_Turtle said:
BTW how do you like the controls on the Roco - how tunable is it?
ZT
The rebound and compression clicks on mine have a pretty good range but to be honest I never really played with them. When I got it, I set it up in my garage to the feel I'm use to, went riding and say, ho well, that's just fine! I think I have something like 3-4 clicks on from full open on the compression and one or two turn on the rebound.

Haha, well you no, Rocco is my middle name so when I write about the Roco shock its just an instinct to write Rocco! :D :D :D Since I don't have a Devinci Banzai anymore maybe I should rename myself RoccoRider instaed of BanzaiRider! :D Ho no, now that I think about it I don't want people to think I'm riding Rocco, not my orientation! :eekster:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.