Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
ritopc said:
Warp or, for that matter, anyone else

Is this the tool needed for a thoroughly service on our zokes??? I might get a hold on one.
Yes, it is.

I'd like to double check, though... if you take a look at bikeparts.com, there's one socket for the Z series and one for the AM series. The AM series seems to be longer. Not that it matters to you much, though :D

I have a socket but it's too thick. The socket is 15mm OD and the bore is 14.5mm dia.
I have to grind down the socket down to 14.2-14.4mm over a lenght of like 3/8" (10mm) and if possible, to face the bevel off.

That Zoke tool is goddarn expensive at 35 dollars. Damn, why couldn't they use an off the shelf socket?

Do you know of a torno shop? It's an easy job on a lathe.

It seems like Rocky Rene will be at my place for an oil change on his Vanilla this saturday. I can make a quick oil change on your fork or at least check oil levels. I have the oil and all tools except for the darn foot nut socket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Warp said:
Yes, it is.

I'd like to double check, though... if you take a look at bikeparts.com, there's one socket for the Z series and one for the AM series. The AM series seems to be longer. Not that it matters to you much, though :D
This is the only one I could find. I will drop a line to Marzocchi to double check before I commit to the purchase.

Warp said:
I have a socket but it's too thick. The socket is 15mm OD and the bore is 14.5mm dia.
I have to grind down the socket down to 14.2-14.4mm over a lenght of like 3/8" (10mm) and if possible, to face the bevel off.
I remeber I use to a torno shop in La Del Valle, it was a long time ago and don´t remeber the address though. Let me see if I can find the contact info again.
One question, wouldn´t grinding it effect on its strength?

Warp said:
That Zoke tool is goddarn expensive at 35 dollars. Damn, why couldn't they use an off the shelf socket?
I can get it for 25 bucks, still expensive. If we can´t find the torno is not that expensive though (just $250 pesitos)

Warp said:
It seems like Rocky Rene will be at my place for an oil change on his Vanilla this saturday. I can make a quick oil change on your fork or at least check oil levels. I have the oil and all tools except for the darn foot nut socket.
mm, tempting but can´t do. It's my birthday, so I will spend a great part of the day with family and friends. The rest of the day I´ll be using it searching for some nice gardens and saloons; (yep, I am getting married soon and I´m getting started into all the logistic issues involved... I guess you know what i mean)

I´ll come back to you with an answer on the torno shop. I would love to do the complete service.I know you would love it to.

In other topic, did you do the experiment with the Phaon? was it the fork or the HS?
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
ritopc said:
This is the only one I could find. I will drop a line to Marzocchi to double check before I commit to the purchase.
Cool!

ritopc said:
I remeber I use to a torno shop in La Del Valle, it was a long time ago and don´t remeber the address though. Let me see if I can find the contact info again.
One question, wouldn´t grinding it effect on its strength?
I'll check also around my place... but you're right. 25 bucks is not a big investment. I'll share the cost or even get one for myself. Let's work it out after knowing on the torno shop.

Yeah, it reduces it's strenght... but you won't have to apply huge torque to it. The seal is accomplished by an o-ring at the foot nut. This o-ring prevents also the foot nut coming off loose. The shaved socket will perform as good.

ritopc said:
mm, tempting but can´t do. It's my birthday, so I will spend a great part of the day with family and friends. The rest of the day I´ll be using it searching for some nice gardens and saloons; (yep, I am getting married soon and I´m getting started into all the logistic issues involved... I guess you know what i mean)

I´ll come back to you with an answer on the torno shop. I would love to do the complete service.I know you would love it to.

In other topic, did you do the experiment with the Phaon? was it the fork or the HS?
Ok, we'll work it out. Godspeed on the marriage arrangements. Get your bike stuff before she kicks in or ....

I may do the experiment today. I'm positive the noise was just some dust in some undesirable place, but as the AM1 didn't gave me the sound and everything (Phaon included) look to be OK, I didn't put much thought to it.

I was afraid it was the frame or headset (both being expansive items), but it's not the case. The Phaons is unlikely to be, but I'll try to find out. I don't want to sell something that will not perform properly or that'll break on the new owner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Warp said:
... Get your bike stuff before she kicks in or ....
Working on that!!!!:D .... although she understands my MTB madness... she was even thinking on getting me a 66 for my Birthday (i had to stop her:nono: ).. I´m such a lucky [email protected]$%&rd!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Warp,

Confirmed, Z1s and AMs, and for that matter all forks with a 12mm nut, use the same removal tool. There is only one 12mm socket.

I ordered one already; it’ll be here in approximately 3 weeks, though. I will check for the torno shop today in case you wanna go that way.
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
ritopc said:
I ordered one already; it'll be here in approximately 3 weeks, though. I will check for the torno shop today in case you wanna go that way.
I'll just use yours!! :D :D
(if you please, of course)

I will order one when I have some dough laying around... now my focus is wheels, wheels, wheels.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top