Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my 06 66sl is in for an overhaul at Marzocchi....and I just threw on my 05 Marzocchi Dropoff Comp that came stock on my Coiler. Well, the experience was so bad that I felt like taking the time to start a thread about it:eek: It turned out to be a blast from the past....yeah a bullet to the head! I cant believe Marzocchi even manufactured this pile junk! After riding a high end fork like my 66 for half a season, riding the Dropoff is PAINFUL! These are my critisims:

-ATROTIOUS Damping "I dont know how a heavy person could ride this fork?"
-EXTREMELY sticky "has new oil"
-Annoying sucky squish noise
-NO rebound control
-Flexy
-Heavy
-The worst feeling fork I have ridden, except for very primative suspension...

So, this is a wise word to anyone who buys the base model Kona Coiler: Get rid of the stock fork BEFORE you take the bike out of the shop! "The least I would go for, would be a base line 66." I sure love my 66sl though! Marzocchi puts out some really awsome stuff, but there are those few forks that you should stay way away from! :thumbsup:

·
CURB HUCK!!!!!!
492 Posts
Mountainbikextremist said:
....yeah a bullet to the head! I cant believe Marzocchi even manufactured this pile junk! After riding a high end fork like my 66 for half a season, riding the Dropoff is PAINFUL!
it sucks really bad. guess what? Marzocchi didn't manufacture it. It's made by SR Suntour.

Some may call it a high-end sporting-good bike fork with Marzocchi stickers, and some call it a Marzocchi Drop-Off.
You say tomato I say tomoto :D

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
umbertom said:
it sucks really bad. guess what? Marzocchi didn't manufacture it. It's made by SR Suntour.

Some may call it a high-end sporting-good bike fork with Marzocchi stickers, and some call it a Marzocchi Drop-Off.
You say tomato I say tomoto :D
Really? I didnt know that...obviously:p I wonder how all that plays out with sales/manufacturing and stuff:confused: Where did you hear that BTW? I do know that Marzocchi had that fork on their web page last year.

·
CURB HUCK!!!!!!
492 Posts
marzocchi forks are made in italy, their low-end oem stuff is taiwan
Hardtails Are Better said:
Right. The cheap forks that aren't available aftermarket, like the Drop Off are Suntour made. If it's avalaible aftermarket, Marzocchi actually made it.
what about grand fondo forks? these are available after market

·
Registered
82 Posts
i dont think the drop off's are z1's so i guess yours are z1 drop offs so diff. and may i add sh*t small bump sensitivity to the above list they feel almost locked out on my enduro didn't notice it on the stock norco (hardtail) they came on :rolleyes:

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Yeah, those are made by SR Suntour, but engineered by Zoke. If the fork feels like poo, you have to blame it on Marzocchi, not SR. They just get a Purchase Order from Zoke along with a bunch of specs and they do as they're told to do.

As a friend of mine would say, "It doesn't matter who makes it if it bears YOUR name on it".

You're comparing apples to oranges.

Sub-par damping against their best and latest.
Former generation chassis against their best and latest again.

In all cases, your recommendation of swapping for a better fork before the bike leaves the shop is spot on.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
I wouldent bash the DOC so bad. I mean what is its marzocchi competition? the dirt jumper series. which also weigh 2 pounds more. I've found my DOC to be "okay" its not the best fork in the world. but its fairly light and if you have the right model, its nice. like mine is kind of a rare find. its 130mm 20mm ta. the dropoff really lacks adjustments, sure. the stance flow is probably a much better fork for more enduro/FR type purposes. the 06 and newer 66 and z.1 series is great stuff. but for coming oem on your coiler, its a good fork. it'll last you a long time, but the dampening is just less than satisfactory. I like mine, makes a great fork for my MC can take the abuse I dish out. its a little sticky, I'm working with it a little to try and make it a little nicer.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
todd_freeride said:
I wouldent bash the DOC so bad. I mean what is its marzocchi competition? the dirt jumper series. which also weigh 2 pounds more. I've found my DOC to be "okay" its not the best fork in the world. but its fairly light and if you have the right model, its nice. like mine is kind of a rare find. its 130mm 20mm ta. the dropoff really lacks adjustments, sure. the stance flow is probably a much better fork for more enduro/FR type purposes. the 06 and newer 66 and z.1 series is great stuff. but for coming oem on your coiler, its a good fork. it'll last you a long time, but the dampening is just less than satisfactory. I like mine, makes a great fork for my MC can take the abuse I dish out. its a little sticky, I'm working with it a little to try and make it a little nicer.
Ah, I still hold my opinion on it... When I first got my bike, I thought it was awsome and didnt understand why people didnt like em. That is until I tried a REAL fork "my 66SL." Sooo now, I LITERALLY cant stand to ride my DOC! Junk...now serves as a wall decoration:p

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Mountainbikextremist said:
Ah, I still hold my opinion on it... When I first got my bike, I thought it was awsome and didnt understand why people didnt like em. That is until I tried a REAL fork "my 66SL." Sooo now, I LITERALLY cant stand to ride my DOC! Junk...now serves as a wall decoration:p
wow, yours gets treated like royalty if it sits on your wall. mine goes in the attic :eekster: the doc feels like crap even compared to something like fluid flow. heck, I got my buddy into mountain biking, he just has a beginner bike, it has a rockshox j2 on it, that thing has better dampening. I wasn't trying to say that the doc is an amazing fork, especially compared to my sherman/stance thing and my shiver. but it deserves a tiny bit more credit than it gets. you rarely see them broken.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.