Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I love bike!
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a used '10 Marzocchi 55 rc3 Ti and am having some serious concerns. Took the fork out on a mildly technical trail in the AZ desert for the first ride and was unimpressed with the fork's performance to say the least. Fork didn't seem to have any small bump sensitivity and didn't get anywhere near full-travel on some of the few bigger hits, maybe 110-120mm max. Fork was not plush, in fact the Pike dual air I replaced even though 20mm less travel felt much more compliant to small and larger hits than the Marz does.

I had the high/low compression on the bottom of the fork leg turned all the way out (CCW) which I believe (maybe wrong) should give the plushest ride for both (no indicator sticker or anything on fork). Had no coil or air preload as I thought with my riding weight @ 170lbs it wouldn't be needed as I'm a bit on the light side. I believe the fork has the stock titanium spring.

Does anyone have any suggestions as far as tuning this fork to get a plusher ride and full travel? The fork also seems a bit sticky in it's initial compression and I don't think I'm getting any sag. Does this sound like the spring is too heavy for me? I hope not b/c it sounds like a new lighter Ti spring will cost me about $225 more which isn't much less than what I paid for the fork. I was under the impression that the coil and air preload you could add to the fork would resolve any weight issues and I don't think I am that much of a lightweight at 170lbs. I hope I didn't get a dud of a fork as it sounded like Marz worked out many of their QC issues with the 2010 lineup.

Any ideas/help would be appreciated.

·
Beer Swilling Clyde
323 Posts
That sounds pretty common for the first ride unfortunately. You need to give it a little time to break in, wouldn't hurt to grease your seals before your next ride to. If after five or six hours of ride time it's still feeling that way, then your know something isn't right.

I'd also move your high and low speed compression to a middle neutral position for your initial break in. Once the you get a feel for the fork it will be easier to make small adjustments to your liking then having them all the way out.

·
I love bike!
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
missoularider said:
That sounds pretty common for the first ride unfortunately. You need to give it a little time to break in, wouldn't hurt to grease your seals before your next ride to. If after five or six hours of ride time it's still feeling that way, then your know something isn't right.

I'd also move your high and low speed compression to a middle neutral position for your initial break in. Once the you get a feel for the fork it will be easier to make small adjustments to your liking then having them all the way out.
Thx but I wouldn't think there would be any "break in" on a fork that's already been used. Think I may be the 3rd owner now (maybe there's a reason why I'm the 3rd owner now :madman: ) and it's got marks on the legs and a few minor blemishes on the uppers to indicate this fork was well used. I'm definitely gonna give it another go this weekend before making any major alterations/decisions but I just don't see it getting much better.

·
Beer Swilling Clyde
323 Posts
Gotcha, I skimmed over the used part, that's a little concerning. Try moving those compression knobs to a middle position before you get too worried about it. There's a good chance it's in need of an oil change too, if the previous owner put to much oil in the last time he changed it, that would explain the crappy ride your getting now. If after both of those, it's still not right, probably time to send in back to the big M for some maintenance.

·
Deadhead
367 Posts
I would say something is up. I only have a few rides on the same fork and it was overly plush right out of the box. Oil levels and/or viscosity could be to blame. Stock weight on Zokes is 7.5 and the correct levels can be found in the tech area on Marzocchi's website. Good luck.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
gratefulbiker said:
I would say something is up. I only have a few rides on the same fork and it was overly plush right out of the box. Oil levels and/or viscosity could be to blame. Stock weight on Zokes is 7.5 and the correct levels can be found in the tech area on Marzocchi's website. Good luck.
Yup...

·
I love bike!
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok...I'll take the fork in and get an oil change. I'd probably try and attempt myself but I don't want to buy the oil and special tools (if any) required to take this sucker apart since I don't know for sure if the oil is causing the problem.

Thanks for the help guys :thumbsup:

·
I love bike!
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What was the outcome?
Oil change turned this fork from a dud to a stud. Lesson learned here is that you never know what you're getting used so always get a tune up. Only tiny complaint, and I stress tiny, is that I have a difficult time getting the last inch of travel. Was pointed out in the Turner forum that there might be a tiny bit too much oil in the rebound damper (not sure what constitutes "tiny" in this application) which I guess is a pretty common problem with these forks if you go by the zocchi specs. Other than that fork is really plush and super stiff...no regrets.

·
Registered
13,090 Posts
Was pointed out in the Turner forum that there might be a tiny bit too much oil in the rebound damper (not sure what constitutes "tiny" in this application) .
It's really easy to take out a little oil. Take off the top cap, (no special tools required, if you have a cassette puller just pop out the little guide post).

I'd start by getting a big syringe (or turkey baster) with a little tubing and stick it down there and suck out 5-10cc.

Anyway, I'm glad you got it working correctly. I'm still really digging my '09 55 RC3. Very plush.

·
Registered
385 Posts
If I need to remove oil I loosen both top caps and make the fork fully compressed. I steal a regular flexible straw from my kids' stash and remove by dipping the straw in then plugging the top of the straw with my finger. Remove what ever you need and with my fork yr, they recommend 60mm oil level from the top.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.