Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
donkey
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace my rigid fork with a rigid suspension corrected fork.
Things I'm looking for:
Disc Specific
Compliance
Straight bladed
Decent tolerances (ie, disk tab lines up)

I'm looking at the Zion, and have a couple of questions... What is it like compliance-wise? Are the decals removable? Any problems with the disc tabs not lining up? Are they available anywhere but jenson? (i'm pretty sure they aren't) Thanks for any input.

·
Incredulous bastard
260 Posts
I have the '06 26" version on my Zion. I like it a lot.
nbrennan said:
What is it like compliance-wise?
This is the only rigid fork I've ridden for more than 10 minutes, so I only have 4 to 6 inch travel forks to which I may compare it. But I'm regularly amazed by the compliance.
nbrennan said:
Are the decals removable?
The labels don't appear to be decals to me, I think that's paint. I just check'd, yeah, that's paint.
nbrennan said:
Any problems with the disc tabs not lining up?
Not with mine. I can't advise if that's typical.
nbrennan said:
Are they available anywhere but jenson?
They don't appear to be.

And if weight is important to you:

Attachments

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
1,298 Posts
Zions stuff is pretty good

For the price, the Zion frame I have is great.

I would agree with PVD about "suspension corrected". What a load of bull. My surly 1X1 fork is suspension corrected and has an axle to crown measurement of 413mm. Zion is also corrected, and it has an a-c of 457 mm, salsa cromoto is 425mm.

I would measure the fork you run right now, and find a fork to match it. Measure with you on the bike (have a friend help!) to get the fork measuement with sag. Measure from the front axle center line to the bottom of the crown race, and find a fork that is as close to this measurement as possible.

frog

·
donkey
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, i know 'suspension corrected' is pretty non-technical. I'm looking for something that has the ride hieght of the 'average' 80mm xc fork. The fork would be going on my monocog, and I want to slacken the angles a little. Thanks everyone.

·
Harrumph
1,598 Posts
You have to pay attention to the measurements, and just about all aftermarket or spec ridged forks are “corrected” now a days. But there is something to "suspension corrected." I don't have any measurements, but take a rigid fork from an older frame that is not designed for a suspension fork and put it on a frame that is designed for a fork and there will be a difference. But that only really applies if you’re looking to use something older on a newer frame. And to muddy the waters more when they say corrected for 80mm or 100mm, they assume quite a bit of sag for the 100 and very little for the 80.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I own a number of rigid forks, and the Zion is definitely the most flexy among them. That may translate into "compliance" for some people. I'm not sure in what other way a straight bladed rigid fork could be compliant.

I own two of them, and on one the disc tabs were not welded on very straight. When it comes to discs, being off by 0.5mm is a big deal when you are using 0.2mm shims to get things lined up. In addition to being a little crooked, one of the tabs was welded on a hair too low so that by brake caliper ended up scraping the outer edge of the rotor.

They are far longer in A-C than any other rigid fork I have. I would call this being the most suspension-corrected of all my rigid forks. :)

·
donkey
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
as far as damping on a rigid fork goes is it better to go with something that has curved blades? The fork i run now is my stock '06 redline monocog fork. It is not "suspension corrected" -- ie it has a low ride hieght. It also has ugly drop outs, canti studs, and huge diameter legs (harsh); all things i don't like.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
no one in particular said:
I have the '06 26" version on my Zion. I like it a lot.

This is the only rigid fork I've ridden for more than 10 minutes, so I only have 4 to 6 inch travel forks to which I may compare it. But I'm regularly amazed by the compliance.

The labels don't appear to be decals to me, I think that's paint. I just check'd, yeah, that's paint.

Not with mine. I can't advise if that's typical.

They don't appear to be.

And if weight is important to you:
My sentiments exactly, only i've had more than 10 minutes on mine. Getting the decals off will be a fight as they're "painted decals". :p :D

You should check MTBR's Classifieds first. ;) (okay, i'm being a bad boy - sue me)

·
i ride bikez!!11!
485 Posts
nbrennan said:
as far as damping on a rigid fork goes is it better to go with something that has curved blades? The fork i run now is my stock '06 redline monocog fork. It is not "suspension corrected" -- ie it has a low ride hieght. It also has ugly drop outs, canti studs, and huge diameter legs (harsh); all things i don't like.
I'll sell you a Planet X fork. Like new!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.