Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a non-biking (oh forbidden sin) family vacation in a couple of weeks. I was hoping some of the locals might offer up some recs for camping at Zion and Bryce areas.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Being that is is hotter than hades down there right now and probably only going to get worse, I'd camp somwhere at high elevation. But I can't tolerate heat very well.

How about Dixie National Forest? I think Cedar City Ranger District is right between those two places, though I wouldn't call it down the road. It will take some driving. Pick one with a little
so you can swim!
https://www.fs.fed.us/r4/dixie/recreation/campgrounds/indexce.html

Do you prefer to be right near the park instead?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

I don't have to be by the park but it would be good. Oh....if I just had the bike I'd camp at Gooseberry or in the Thunder Mt area. Bryce might be cooler. We'll be coming from the N. rim and hope to do two days of travel through the canyons before kicking it on a house boat at Powell.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
There may be camping within the NF.

We just were in town (Panguitch) and stayed at the KOA. It's a nice campground. Not necessarily in either Bryce or Zion, but is not far from Bryce. Has nice amenities (incl free warm showers, laundry room, and wireless internet).

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Camping at Navajo Lake is nice, it's plenty high. Not super close, but in the vicinity of both.

Bryce will be WAY cooler than Zion, you are right about that.

JMH

aword4you said:
There may be camping within the NF.

We just were in town (Panguitch) and stayed at the KOA. It's a nice campground. Not necessarily in either Bryce or Zion, but is not far from Bryce. Has nice amenities (incl free warm showers, laundry room, and wireless internet).

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Hey Bugaroo!

I'm going to be doing a self-supported solo tour in this area end of this week through next week, so if you see a chick on a full-suspension MTB pulling a BOB trailer, come introduce yourself! I'll be doing a giant loop starting in St George, going up through Pine Valley, Cedar City, Cedar Breaks, Panguitch Lake, Bryce, Navajo Lake, Zion, and then back down to St George. Same goes for any locals in the area...honk as you drive by! Yes, it's going to be hotter than Hades, but that's all part of the adventure, I suppose. I've done too much planning and preparation for this tour to back out now.

Cheers!

Jill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.