Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Zion 853 or Soma Groove?

Anybody out there have any experience with the Zion 853 hardtail frame? There are no reviews of this frame in the product review section. Jenson's got 'em marked down to $289 (with free shipping) right now. Intended usage would be strictly XC riding (80mm fork, rim brakes, etc...) and the occasional Sport level XC race. What are other options for a steel hardtail frame at $400 or less? I see that the Soma Groove is listed on Soma's website for $359, and the 19" looks to be about a half pound lighter (at 4.25 lbs) than the Zion (at 4.8 lbs). However, again, there are no reviews of this frame in the product review section.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My recommendation would be to save another $100 and grab an Ionic (Dean) Steelhead. They're offering them at $500 (vs. regular price of $750). I added an extra $50 to get the disk option. Frame weighs in at 3.7 lbs and yes, IT'S BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! (They even put Dean stickers on it for me, rather than Ionic).

Susan

Earthpig said:
Anybody out there have any experience with the Zion 853 hardtail frame? There are no reviews of this frame in the product review section. Jenson's got 'em marked down to $289 (with free shipping) right now. Intended usage would be strictly XC riding (80mm fork, rim brakes, etc...) and the occasional Sport level XC race. What are other options for a steel hardtail frame at $400 or less? I see that the Soma Groove is listed on Soma's website for $359, and the 19" looks to be about a half pound lighter (at 4.25 lbs) than the Zion (at 4.8 lbs). However, again, there are no reviews of this frame in the product review section.

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Price

susannyny said:
My recommendation would be to save another $100 and grab an Ionic (Dean) Steelhead. They're offering them at $500 (vs. regular price of $750). I added an extra $50 to get the disk option. Frame weighs in at 3.7 lbs and yes, IT'S BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! (They even put Dean stickers on it for me, rather than Ionic).

Susan
Where are they offering that price? The Ionic website says $750.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.