Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Hmmmmmm
Will be interested to see how you go Limon.
Mine is sitting here alongside a pile of parts waiting to be built.
Wont be bothering to change the cable stops or repaint it for the time being.
What size is yours, mine is the 20" and the frame weighed 4lb 11oz.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rear wheel info

I just finished building the rear wheel and the weight is 855g with king iso hub, marwi ti spokes and 355 rim. I'll post more info on the front wheel when I get home.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
front wheel

the front wheel came at 717g with king iso,marwi ti and 355 and here's the individual component weight rims 412g each, spokes 262g, hubs 303g rear, 165g front and 20g for nipples

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went with this frame because the price is right, the geo looks good, I like breezer style dropouts, it's clean looking,it's light for steel, it's my first 29erand don't have to wait months to get it. if I like the 29er thing I'll think about something custom.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Smart thinking.

Sounds like a pretty good plan, build up a "cheapie" frame with good parts, if you like the 29er thing then buy a nice lighter frame and swap all the good parts onto it. If you don't like it, unlace the wheels, sell the rims and use the others part son a 26er.

Limon said:
I went with this frame because the price is right, the geo looks good, I like breezer style dropouts, it's clean looking,it's light for steel, it's my first 29erand don't have to wait months to get it. if I like the 29er thing I'll think about something custom.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Caution!!

LyNx said:
Sounds like a pretty good plan, build up a "cheapie" frame with good parts, if you like the 29er thing then buy a nice lighter frame and swap all the good parts onto it.
You may like the frame so much that you never want to risk spending more and getting less of a ride.

I have some similar wheels on my heavy frame, but I was not going for a lightweight build. Why did you pick King hubs? Sure, they are great, but they are not the first choice for a lightweight wheel.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
parts list

heres the parts list

Bottom Bracket: american classic 144
Brake Levers: marta al bolts 0
Rear Brakes: marta al rotors ti/al bolts 593
Front Brakes: marta al rotors ti bolts 0
Cables: shimano ?
Cassette: xtr 237
Chain: kmc 10sl 226
--Arms: next lp 399
--Crank Bolts: truvativ al 14
--Ring bolts: al 9
--Outer Ring: sugino 42t 49
--Middle Ring: stronglite 29t 23
Derlr (Front) duraace 0
Derlr (Rear) duraace 170
Fork: bontrager 936
Frame: zion 737 med 2008
Grips: foam 13
Handlebar: maxm 134
Headset: king w/ti race 93
Headset Cap/Bolt: purely customs 9
Pedals:?
Quick Releases: delta 68
Seat Binder: dkg ti bolt 23
,Seat: aliante ti 200
Seatpost: easton tuned 150
Shifters: lx tuned 210
Stem: titus ti 90mm 108
Tire (Front) bontrager rx 2.25 620
Tire (Rear): 575
Tubes: generic 400
Wheelset (Front): king iso, ti spokes, 355 rim 717
Wheelset (Rear):king iso, ti spokes, 355rim 855
Misc Option: rim strips 10
TOTALS:
grams:
pounds:

I'll post pics soon, not as light as I hoped but I'll keep working on it.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Get light 26" tubes with a good width to start with. Geax 1.5-2.215 are not wide, but very reliable to me at 140g/ea. My favorite the Michelin Latex which is lighter and noticably faster in all respects.
Ouch, doesn't that seat cost the same as the frame? I trust it rides great though, heard good things.
What's that rear tire?

If the wheels aren't too flexy, I'm sure the bike will feel plenty light. My Cube has been hovering between 8.4 and 9.0 kg for some time now, and it always feels super racey to me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.