Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
get down!
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished up the Honzo today. I'm going to try and get out on Saturday to test it out. Really weird having suspension after being rigid for years now...especially with this much travel. It feels really quick around the area around my house which surprised me. Will trim the steerer tube when I convince myself I don't need it. I'm going to swap some new rubber on (the rear for sure) when I get to my storage unit and/or when the new fatty treads come out. Also, I'm waiting for that new Fox D.O.S.S. seatpost to come out to try my hand at a dropper post.

Build is straight from my 2011 Kona Unit.

180mm XT cranks, 34 tooth Surly ring on the outside (looking for black cranks/32 ring)
King SS rear, King OS bearing front hub, Arch rims
Python rear, 29-3 front
King tapered HS
Marzocchi 44 micro Ti, 140mm tapered (CL special)
Kona post
Haven bars
XT hydros
185 Avid XX rotors
GT bolt on grips
100mm X4 stem

BIG shout out to Brandi @ The Path for being the coolest dude at the coolest shop ever, Kona for putting up with my phone calls, Padre and Dynamicz...thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks for the rep!

Lovin the color and finish. That flat blue looks so much better in person.

Are you looking at 27 lbs with that setup? Is that the 20L size? Cuz it looks like a 26er

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Liking the blue. IME you should try a shorter stem with that fork and frame.

Enjoy the new bike.

·
get down!
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It's just the regular 20". I might try a shorter stem in the future. I shortened it 20mm from what my old stem was. On the Unit (24.5" ETT) I had a 120mm stem. This bike has a 25" ETT with a 100mm stem..to try and match the same effective reach. I could do with a 90mm stem probably. I'll see how it handles on the trail.

I'm going to weigh it at the shop tonight.

Def. staying single speed

·
hispanic mechanic
2,611 Posts
Nice! Not sure how I feel about you not getting a Nimble 9- how are we gonna be twinsies now? Although we are on somewhat similarly designed frames...

Los

·
get down!
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice! Not sure how I feel about you not getting a Nimble 9- how are we gonna be twinsies now? Although we are on somewhat similarly designed frames...

Los
Ha! I know, is this like our breakup moment or what? I was all about the Nimble but they don't make one with a top tube as long as I prefer and the Screamy is not singlespeedable without a tensioner.

Didn't get a chance to weigh it today, but will tomorrow. I'm kicking myself because I tried to weigh it as a frame only, no headset or nothing, but the park scale i have was too small. I also have a Unit frame only, in the same size to compare to. Basically I blew the ultimate Kona 29er steel hardtail frame weigh off :madman:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi there,
1. Where from did You get Honzo as frame only? (and how much)
2.Can You please compare Unit vs Honzo?
I know Honzo is more am oriented, but is it more agile, jumpy and bunnyhopy besides more weight?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Where did you get the frame? I thought the frame's only weren't due out until april or so.
According to Kona the first batch of frames is available in October but already sold out so you need to call around and see if any shops have any extra's that are unsold. Not sure how many they made for the first run but not expecting that many. The second batch won't be ready until April unfortunately.

·
get down!
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^what he said. I found a shop that was willing to break down a complete (1 of 2 thy had in my size) and sell me the frame only. I paid full retail for the frame plus shipping.

·
Registered
996 Posts
^what he said. I found a shop that was willing to break down a complete (1 of 2 thy had in my size) and sell me the frame only. I paid full retail for the frame plus shipping.

Awesome that they stripped one for you. I want mine soooo bad. I just hope the late October deadline for pre-order frames is correct. Just stoked that Jeff at Kona said they should be on time unless the boat sinks. :D

·
mtbr member
491 Posts
Nice looking bike. I think the red accents are just right. Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 122 Posts