Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
109 Posts
Looks great - all the latest and greatest with a 20 year old saddle.

You got a stock of them, or what?

·
Lightly salted
1,388 Posts
Odd build package with long travel and a dropper seat post then Crests. What is this bike trying to be?
Looks like a nice light trail build to me. That build would be perfect for my wife, light weight with confidence building geometry. I don't think there is a wrong or right build as long as it makes since for the rider. I have an "Odd build" 29er hard tail with a dropper post, bash guard, 50mm stem and wide bars that I jump and ride off drops:eekster:

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
Odd build package with long travel and a dropper seat post then Crests. What is this bike trying to be?
I agree. Some people have too much money. Judging by the build, this person is a noob - but has cash.

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
3,446 Posts
A rider on a 16" frame requiring a stronger rim than 650b Crests would have to be pretty hard core or very chubby. Good build IMO. I would require sturdier wheels and fork because of my chunkiness.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, the wife would only swop her El Ciclon for something totally different and she did not want a 29er. My aim with this bike was to build a bike that would be as light or lighter than her El Ciclon and I did that. My wife is no freerider and has always used lightweight wheels. She has a few rides on it now and was wary of a new wheel size, it has won her over. She feels the bike allows her to climb better, maybe because of the slightly longer wheelbase compared to her 26" and the revised pivot location on the newer Ventana frames as well as the wheelsize. It flows through the tight tree enclosed singletrack we ride in as easily as her 26" wheeled bike, but in her opinion descends better than any bike she has owned. To her it does not feel any different getting up to speed than her 26" bike.We have a ride that we have used for over 12 years full of roots, steep ups and downs mostly in singletrack, just over 20 miles, my wife without feeling that she was going any faster averaged 1mile an hour faster average speed than she has ever managed before. Thats all I can say, we all know that every Ventana is rock solid and has superb build quality and finish, and my wife is very impressed with her new ride.

·
Team Hardcore Cornbread
525 Posts
OK, the wife would only swop her El Ciclon for something totally different and she did not want a 29er. My aim with this bike was to build a bike that would be as light or lighter than her El Ciclon and I did that. My wife is no freerider and has always used lightweight wheels. She has a few rides on it now and was wary of a new wheel size, it has won her over. She feels the bike allows her to climb better, maybe because of the slightly longer wheelbase compared to her 26" and the revised pivot location on the newer Ventana frames as well as the wheelsize. It flows through the tight tree enclosed singletrack we ride in as easily as her 26" wheeled bike, but in her opinion descends better than any bike she has owned. To her it does not feel any different getting up to speed than her 26" bike.We have a ride that we have used for over 12 years full of roots, steep ups and downs mostly in singletrack, just over 20 miles, my wife without feeling that she was going any faster averaged 1mile an hour faster average speed than she has ever managed before. Thats all I can say, we all know that every Ventana is rock solid and has superb build quality and finish, and my wife is very impressed with her new ride.
Thanks for the report. I cannot wait to get mine especially now that I too ride a Ciclon as your wife did. What color is that frame?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got mine built a few days ago. Hard to say better than advertised, but just as good. Stable, sharp, asks for just a little more than my old Ells Moment. 29.5lbs. Feels light when you pick it up, rides like a heavier bike in terms of stability and is just as maneuverable as a 26er.

Only thing I'm going to change is the grips - crank bros foamies suck.

Lets see some more!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Eber, IMO, This is the best looking new style Ventana I have seen. I'm really liking the Zeus with the less pronounced curvy top tube.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can't lie, I think it looks awesome. Rides like a bulletproof trail machine without any weight penalty. Didn't drink too much weight weenie juice but did put on DT 240 hubs and the XO cranks. Other than those 2 components, this should be a pretty durable set up and hopefully won't require too much maintenance. Have had it built for 72 hours and have 3 rides under its saddle. As I'm in alaska I have to get the riding in while there is still time.

Like your tag line OldHouseMan, biking helps pass the time until the snow flies! No fat bike for me

·
I should be out riding
1,861 Posts
Eber, IMO, This is the best looking new style Ventana I have seen. I'm really liking the Zeus with the less pronounced curvy top tube.
I agree, much better looking than the some of the other new models.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts