Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas,

Trying to find an InSet reamer for a Park Tool. Park doesn't make one 'for lack of a common standard on depth' which reeks of a cop-out to me, but there ya go.

Anyone got one, or know where in the US to get one?

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,098 Posts
I swear Park had a part no. for that reamer. The ream diameter was listed as 43.8mm.

King apparently has some that are available if you ask nicely. (and shell out some $$)

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't find it anywhere, and King are a pain in the arse so I'm reluctant to do anything with them lest I have to run some commando course holding my wallet above my head.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My suggestion, short of buying the CK reamer, is to take the 1.5" reamer (http://tinyurl.com/yf93ett) and send it out to be ground down to 44mm. I did this with a 1" ISO size reamer to get the JIS size. I realize, that is a lot less to take off, but 2.785mm is all that would be needed to make the 1.5" right. I am sure the flutes on the Park reamer are much deeper than that.

I know there are a few grinding houses that specialize in bicycle tools. My vote is for McKenzie tool grinding in Portland based on their past work for me. Really, though, any grinding house should be able to resize it for you.

I would be curious to know the cost of the CK tool and how it would compare. My gut says they might be equal...

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,098 Posts
Arrak Thumrs said:
My suggestion, short of buying the CK reamer, is to take the 1.5" reamer (http://tinyurl.com/yf93ett) and send it out to be ground down to 44mm. I did this with a 1" ISO size reamer to get the JIS size. I realize, that is a lot less to take off, but 2.785mm is all that would be needed to make the 1.5" right. I am sure the flutes on the Park reamer are much deeper than that.

I know there are a few grinding houses that specialize in bicycle tools. My vote is for McKenzie tool grinding in Portland based on their past work for me. Really, though, any grinding house should be able to resize it for you.

I would be curious to know the cost of the CK tool and how it would compare. My gut says they might be equal...
For as much as that reamer/facer costs, you might be able to sweet talk Andy Newlands into selling you a blank, and then have McKenzie grind it for you and still have $$ in your pocket. Or just buy one from King.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looking at the CK specs... I can see why Park doesn't feel it would be profitable to make an InSet reamer. There are 3 different reamer sizes with two different depth profiles. You would need to make three different sized reamers to cover the whole system.

May we assume you are using the straight 1 1/8" size InSet, Thylacine?

I don't know your setup, but you could bore to rough size in the lathe before joining the HT, then fixture the frame in the mill. Use a boring head to get final size + concentricity. I assume this is a one-off thing.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I just priced the CK cutters that will allow you to use anyone's Zero Stack (Fustrum Standard) system. Dealer cost is pricy, but not totally out of line. They will work on the park tool. I think I'm going to go ahead and get the 1-1/8 and 1-1/2 versions. Until now, there were no ZS cutters available that would ream and face.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I can't post weld bore the HT out.

What's the cost of the 1 1/8th CK one, Pete? I might have to get one of you guys to buy me one at this rate.

Hang on, who is it that has a grinding service? DWF?

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I could do that for you. I know you want some other parts and if the reamers are being sent, then it will be worth it.

As for reamer regrinding and sharpening, I use Pacific Reamer & Cutter Service, 4115 Broadway, Oakland, CA 94611, (510) 654-1844 - Ask for Cliff. They do great work and price basic resize/sharpen really well. When you start getting into very complex grinding work, you are going to pay serious cash. FYI.

I source my reamers from:

[email protected] (he does some good work with prices)
KBC Tools & Machinary
1751 Sabre
Hayward, CA 94545
(510) 732-5500
(800) 521-1740
KBCtools.com

They sell reamers from Fenes of Poland.

http://www.fenes.com.pl
http://www.fenessaw.com/pobierz_plik2.php?n=8e296a067a25

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.