Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive just bought an 05 P2 frame, and have noticed that in the spec it mentions a "6mm offset rear end for 0 dish rear wheel". Does this mean I'll have to get a wheel rebuilt for this, or can i just use a normal dished wheel? If I need a new one, why? The art of wheel building is still confusing for me.

Sorry if this is a really stupid question!

·
This place needs an enema
16,919 Posts
Phil~M said:
Ive just bought an 05 P2 frame, and have noticed that in the spec it mentions a "6mm offset rear end for 0 dish rear wheel". Does this mean I'll have to get a wheel rebuilt for this, or can i just use a normal dished wheel? If I need a new one, why? The art of wheel building is still confusing for me.

Sorry if this is a really stupid question!
If the rear triangle is offset 6mm, a standard wheel is probably not gonna work. You can certainly try to redish your existing wheel, but 6mm is an awful long way. The good news is that you could relace the existing hub and rim and be on your way with minimal investment.

A few custom framebuilders are doing this now (offset rear end) and while it makes it a pain in some ways (trash a wheel on a road trip and you may be S.O.L. unless you brought a spare) it's kinda nice in others. Even tension makes for a stronger wheel, and a stronger wheel needs less attention and is less likely to fail catastrophically.

Hope that helps.

MC

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just been home and fitted a spare wheel to the frame, and I can see straight away where the difference is. I guess I could get a wheel rebuilt, but I was hoping to share the wheels between the P2 and my Enduro. Time for a rethink.

Many thanks for the answer :thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.