Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old ellsworth truth--1999 or 2000 model, with the big fat bushings w/ O rings. have toyed with the idea of simply drilling a hole and press-fitting a zerk fitting so I can regrease w/o pulling the whole bike apart. obviously i'm not worried about warranty issues etc.

whaddya think?

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
whaddya think?

I think we gotta draw the line somewhere...
Go ask that in the EW forum. :D

Just yoinkn. Seriously though, the EW forum is starved for nov-inflamatory content. Post your Q up there, Even if none of the regulars chime in, there are plenty of folks who lurk from more active forums (*cough*) who might stop by and speculate...especially if you post a pic of the parts in question.

Luck be with you.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I say go for it. A day or two ago someone posted a link to AngryAsian's mod of a Zoke fork where he installed a zerk just like you are suggesting. I think it took a 1/8" hole and some green locktite. It may make your life easier and your pivots last longer. Go nuts I say...

...if you need a source for zerks, try calling up Turner. I bet they have bins full, and would be happy to give you a few stickers while they are at it. :D

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
does he have to do anything to the metal shafts in order for the grease to be distributed when squirted though the zerk or are these already grooved in those truths?

_MK

·
The Ancient One
1,573 Posts
MK_ said:
does he have to do anything to the metal shafts in order for the grease to be distributed when squirted though the zerk or are these already grooved in those truths?

_MK
No there are no grooves. I had one of those Truths. The bushings looked much like the pictures I've seen of the current Turner bushings but without the grooves and the zerk fitting. The grooves would be the hard part.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
MK_ said:
He can just score some grooves in the bushing with a hand file or a dremel; not much to it.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah that's what i was thinking

Roy said:
He can just score some grooves in the bushing with a hand file or a dremel; not much to it.
yep last time i had the bushings out they looked very similar to the Turner bushings. I've forgotten what the groove on the turner bushing looks like...is it a spiral groove that transports the grease to the left and right portions of the bushing? or just one groove that is perpendicular to the pivot axle, and is aligned with the zerk fitting?

installing the zerk shouldn't be an issue. after all, turner's web site implies that it is very low tech.."if the fitting comes out due to greasing pressure, simply clean up the hole and reinsert the fitting" or words to that effect.

when you start drilling or cutting a frame, any frame, it usually compromises warranty.

incidentally, those ellsworth bushings have been VERY durable. since most of my riding is in dry california conditions, i can go months--even 1+ years--without taking them apart for regreasing. and if i ride in wet conditions and they get squeaky, i sometimes dribble synthetic motor oil on top of the bushing interface, and work it in by moving the suspension (w/ the shock removed)...usually cures the squeak. the industry rumor back then was that Tony Ellsworth strongly believed large bushings made for a stiffer frame at lower weight, but back then Intense was taking his market share and really promoting the idea that so-callled sealed bearings were 'better', so Tony reluctantly had to switch to cartridge sealed bearings.

anyway.... it would be cool to have zerk fittings for proper maintenance on my old truth.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
frorider said:
the industry rumor back then was that Tony Ellsworth strongly believed large bushings made for a stiffer frame at lower weight, but back then Intense was taking his market share and really promoting the idea that so-callled sealed bearings were 'better', so Tony reluctantly had to switch to cartridge sealed bearings.
Funny how beliefs change, especially the light weight aspect. Dave Turner didn't buy into it I guess.

From Ellsworth site under FAQ:

" Bearings vs. Bushings-- Why did you change?
After more than 3 years of testing, we switched to an aircraft grade "Lateral Load Max" full compliment cartridge bearing system that incorporates 12mm pivot axles. This system is lighter than the bushing systems used on 2000 and previous Truths, and they last just about forever. An added bonus is reduced pivot stiction for an even more buttery suspension action. "

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Could you simply replace the bushings with Turner's, or are the dimensions not identical? Seems like drilling a hole for a zerk would be simple. If the bushings are not interchangeable, it seems that you could file 2 or 3 grooves in the bushing ala the "CheesyLink"

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Frorider, I have a bunch of pivots laying around if you want measurements, but I would be shocked if they used exactly the same dimention pivots. Igus makes about a billion flavors....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.