Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I've got a brand new OEM 2003 DJ1 and I bought it because I got a very good deal on it...so good, it will be worthwhile for me to put a new HSCV cartridge in it if I want to...

But I want to experiment in the long cold up and coming praire winter. I also have a 2003 Z1 with a couple of years use on it.

Being very inspired by your Shiver air mod, I want to know if the ECC on the Z1 is essentially HSCV with ECC or if it something else. I want to take the left side internals of both forks and swap them.

So, that will be:
- a DJ1 with the rebound and air preload on 1 side, with the ECC+HSCV on the other
- a Z1 with the SSVF and air preload on 1 side with the regular HSCV on the other (similiar to this years Super T, right ? or close enough...).

Of course, I can just leave the Z1 and get a cartridge for the DJ1.

Is the ECC side of the 2003 Z1 HSCV ? Worthwhile experiment or just get the cartridge for the DJ1 ? Even if I try it, can I anticipate some tricky set-ups i.e. preload and rebound in both forks ?

Thoughts appreciated...
 

·
Pro Crastinator
Joined
·
11,789 Posts
i've put the Z1 internals in my DJ1 chassis, they just swaped straight over. i also talked to a marz tech after i did this and he said it was fine....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,261 Posts
i'm not certain weither the ECC cart also doubles as HSCV. In the 2004 manual, it mearly says ECC5 in one leg, and negative air rebound cartridge in the other, suggesting HSCV. The ETA and HSCV are clearly never in the same leg, so i'm guessing it would follow that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...thanks for the reply but I screwed up...

...it's a 2003 Z1 FR with ETA, not ECC...

But I think the same logic holds...the HSCV is clearly identified in one side and the ETA is clearly identified in the other...

Hmmm...so it makes me wonder....just what is in the ETA side of a Z1 FR ? SSV or SSVF ? Kinda wonder because a Z1 DO 1 is SSVF on side, ETA on the other...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,261 Posts
LT1 said:
...
Hmmm...so it makes me wonder....just what is in the ETA side of a Z1 FR ? SSV or SSVF ? Kinda wonder because a Z1 DO 1 is SSVF on side, ETA on the other...
i dont think it has any damping function beyond the lockout feature
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
868 Posts
Similar question, Zedro...

While we are on the topic of Z1s, Mods and your Air Shiver...

What are you thoughts on taking the 04 Z1 FR with the air preload cap and removing the spring from that leg? Then just using the air as the main spring as some of the MX models do. True, it will only save around 110 grams, but would their be an appreciable loss in performance?

Seems like a quick change, and no permanent modifications, so I will probably give it a shot this weekend...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,261 Posts
robsetsfire said:
While we are on the topic of Z1s, Mods and your Air Shiver...

What are you thoughts on taking the 04 Z1 FR with the air preload cap and removing the spring from that leg? Then just using the air as the main spring as some of the MX models do. True, it will only save around 110 grams, but would their be an appreciable loss in performance?

Seems like a quick change, and no permanent modifications, so I will probably give it a shot this weekend...
yeah you can do that, in fact Marz recommends that for lighter riders that fall below the minimum spring rates anyways.

you will have to pay particular attention to the oil height when using an spring, or else you wont get the right combo of ride height and bottom out; it can be tricky so some experimentation will be needed. You may need to go lower than the recommended oil level, but this is ok as long as your dampers arent sucking air.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
868 Posts
zedro said:
yeah you can do that, in fact Marz recommends that for lighter riders that fall below the minimum spring rates anyways.

you will have to pay particular attention to the oil height when using an spring, or else you wont get the right combo of ride height and bottom out; it can be tricky so some experimentation will be needed. You may need to go lower than the recommended oil level, but this is ok as long as your dampers arent sucking air.
I don't fall into the light rider category... so I'm considering swapping the stock spring that I leave in there with the heaviest one I can get so that I don't have to use as much air pressure in the other leg to get the proper sag. Although, this may affect the bottoming.

Did you go to heavier springs in the coil leg of the coil/air shiver? Have you tried a total air shiver yet?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,261 Posts
robsetsfire said:
I don't fall into the light rider category... so I'm considering swapping the stock spring that I leave in there with the heaviest one I can get so that I don't have to use as much air pressure in the other leg to get the proper sag. Although, this may affect the bottoming.

Did you go to heavier springs in the coil leg of the coil/air shiver? Have you tried a total air shiver yet?
i initially used a heavy spring along side the air spring, recently switched to a medium but will probably switch back. Before i was using a heavy/medium combo.

what i've learned as far as setup might not apply to a low volume single crown; i was going to get into it, but its probably better if you experiment first, can always come back later to swap notes. But the heavy spring sounds like a good idea.

havent gone total air, i havent decided on some analogous mods to the fork yet.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top