Registered
Epic Evo
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zebralight sells three beam patterns:
  • Spill/spot, 80 degree spread with 12-17ish degree hot spot
  • Floody, 90 degree even spread
  • Flood, 120 degree even spread
Which patterns do y'all run, and where do you mount them?

My situation: I have a ~5 year old H600 Mk III (spill/spot).

When helmet-mounted it's great for seeing distance and looking through corners, but when a light is mounted close to your eyes, you don't see shadows cast in the terrain, everything looks kinda flat, so it's easy to miss wheel-swallowing gullies in the trail (Fantasy Island in Tucson is full of these right now).

Handlebar mounting gives you much better terrain contrast, but it doesn't move with your head, so you don't see up around corners (where there are definitely rattlesnakes).

So, I want to buy another Zebralight, to run one on my helmet and another on the bars. Just debating which beam pattern to get. Is Floody the sweet spot for handlebar mounting? I've seen a friend's full Flood Zebralight and it seems to spray light everywhere, mostly in other people's eyes.

Curious to hear from @geokite , @znomit , @127.0.0.1 , and anyone else.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,325 Posts
I use h600W mk III or IV on helmet. it has throw
[I carry a loaded H600 mk III or IV in my pocket, as a battery carrier/spare]

and use Fenix BC30R or 35R on handlebars
-------------------------------------------------------------
if I had one on handlebars I'd do floody since looking for far corners is helmet duty
and handlebars is to make shadows for the chunky stuff I am about to roll over so I can judge
size/shape accurately.

Reactions: cmart

·
Registered
85 Posts
I use Outbound Lightings Trail Evo on the bars and hangover on the helmet. The Evo definitely is a combo of all those beams mentioned and the hangover is more of a spot but with a good amount of light carpet spill. I would say to go more flood on the bars since they may not always be pointing where the trail is turning and a spot on the helmet so you can see where you look.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I haven't used this brand but round symmetrical beam patterns like you get with a zebralite are all pretty much the same so IMO flood would be your best bet. Generally anything labeled spot is going to be too hard to keep aimed on where your going as you steer to avoid obsticles.

* Last I heard they are still planning on having the big Fall GABA bike swap meet down by the UofA (11/14). At the moment I'm planning on having a table there (If I can still reserve a space) and selling off a bunch of my test lights if your interested in something else at a bargain price.*
Mole

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,325 Posts
I haven't used this brand but round symmetrical beam patterns like you get with a zebralite are all pretty much the same so IMO flood would be your best bet. Generally anything labeled spot is going to be too hard to keep aimed on where your going as you steer to avoid obsticles.

* Last I heard they are still planning on having the big Fall GABA bike swap meet down by the UofA (11/14). At the moment I'm planning on having a table there (If I can still reserve a space) and selling off a bunch of my test lights if your interested in something else at a bargain price.*
Mole
zebralight flood is a wide flood...bar duty

the h600W series is not flood and would be poor on the bars but great on the head
for lookin beyond where you are steering

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,325 Posts
h600w Mk [I,II,III,IV...etc] w defines the reflector and beam...a 600w will always be a spot.

you want floody, mule, frost....or different emitters
you get h600F or h600Fw or Fc or H604 or H604D.......they have all sorts of floody types

unsure ? just ask them beam type.... they always got back to me in 2-5 days

compare all models

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.