Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just rebuilt my 2000 marzocchi atom 80, using enduro seals, and have a couple of questions/concerns. After I got everything back together and oil filled to 40mm below the lip on each side, the shock was very stiff with only about 35mm of travel- even with the preload springs backed all the way out. What did I do wrong and how do I remedy this? Also what is the best way to measure the oil in the left leg with the rebound adjuster that does not allow you to easily remove the top cap? Thanks

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
ssdoc said:
I have just rebuilt my 2000 marzocchi atom 80, using enduro seals, and have a couple of questions/concerns. After I got everything back together and oil filled to 40mm below the lip on each side, the shock was very stiff with only about 35mm of travel- even with the preload springs backed all the way out. What did I do wrong and how do I remedy this? Also what is the best way to measure the oil in the left leg with the rebound adjuster that does not allow you to easily remove the top cap? Thanks
Sounds like you didn't have the fork compressed when you filled the oil, that would definitely give you almost no travel.

To fill it with oil, the fork needs to be fully compressed, and the springs need to be out of the fork.

The top cap is easily removed on the side with the adjuster, you need to remove the set-screw that holds the preload adjuster on, then remove the C-clip that holds the rebound adjuster to the top cap. I like to use curved needle-nosed piliers to get the C-clip off. Then take the top cap off, and then unscrew the preloader off of the damping rod. It sounds like a lot of steps, but once you've done it on one marzocchi, you've done it on all literally and it is the same for many different models.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I' m wanting to rebuild a Z-2 x-Fly and looking for a good set of instructions

Do you know of any easier rebuild instructions than those I'd find on the Marzocchi site. I've got a fork I want to rebuild but have been a bit intimidated, I probably just need to dig in.

Thanks,

Chad

·
Map Maker
1,244 Posts
try this

Paco said:
Do you know of any easier rebuild instructions than those I'd find on the Marzocchi site. I've got a fork I want to rebuild but have been a bit intimidated, I probably just need to dig in.

Thanks,

Chad
http://myweb.cableone.net/rkindig/marz_marathon_s.html

this helped me on my Z2 Atom Race and My Z1 mcr it worked for both.
I also have a rebuild PDF that I got from Marzocchi for my Z1 I can send it to you if you'd like? post your email address like this:
bob "at"yahoo.com so it can't get harvested by spybots.

chris

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paco said:

Thanks,

Chad
I highly recommend the site noted above myweb.cableone etc- very helpfull. good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the Marzocchi rebuild info

I really liked the site you referenced, I also found a site, www.enduroforkseals.com that sells aftermarket seal kits and has great step by step instructions for overhauling most air/oil forks, I also called them and Chris was super helpful, an extremely good egg. Not only do their seals appear to be better, they are half the price of the factory seal kits. I also asked Chris about Fork Fluid and he gave me the lowdown on buying Maxima Fork Fluid in 7 weight (for motorcycles) which costs $10 a liter instead of $17 a quart for bike specific oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts