Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else notice the spring(s) in their '05 Z1 FR1 rattling? At first I thought it was my shift cables banging on the bottom of my stem. After a few tests I was able to conclude that it's coming from the fork, most likely the spring hitting the inside of the stanchion.

I was thinking of trying a couple pieces of heat shrink tubing on the spring to silence the rattle, but wasn't sure if this is going to affect the spring rate. Has anyone else had and dealt with this problem?

BL

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
It won't affect the rate. Try unscrewing the top cap, compressing the fork a bit, make sure the spacers and junk on top of the spring are seated nicely, turn the spring 90 or 180 degrees, and screw the top cap back down. Sometimes this is all that's needed.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
r-kelly said:
I think mine might have this problem. I notice a slight rattle ocasionally. I thought my headset was loose at first. Fork still works great.
Yep, fork works great for me too, I'm just working on the 'silent ride' and this is the only rattle I have left!

BL

·
Registered
122 Posts
more rattle

What is with the rattling though? I preloaded the chamber and the rattling increased? You wouldn't think the springs would be able to rattle considering the preload that is on them when you screw the top caps down. I just don't understand. The fork still works well, just too damn noisey. I'll try rotating the spring, we'll see. Any more help??

·
Registered
464 Posts
One spring is longer than the other, and spacer is used to take up the slack. I am pretty sure the right spring is shorter. Is the noise coming from the right side, left, or both? The spacer is plastic, maybe yours broke?

·
Registered
122 Posts
quick fix

toad said:
One spring is longer than the other, and spacer is used to take up the slack. I am pretty sure the right spring is shorter. Is the noise coming from the right side, left, or both? The spacer is plastic, maybe yours broke?
The spacer was broken. It's been broken for a while, but just recently the noise has gotten worse. So I replaced it with a part i found at the local hardware, and the noise is gone. good thinking.

·
carpe mañana
7,307 Posts
What part? What hardware store? I need to fix my rattle! :confused:

_MK

·
Registered
122 Posts
simple fix

MK_ said:
What part? What hardware store? I need to fix my rattle! :confused:

_MK
It was a local store here in Gloucester. The part was a 3/4" pvc nipple, about 49 cents. I bought a small piece that was close to the dimensions of the spacer, I had to take a little off the outside to fit in the crown. I believe the measurements were 3/4 i.d., 1/2 length, and 1/16 wall thickness, but that really doesn't matter, mine was about a 1/8" thick, worked out well.
then i loaded up the rebound cap onto the drill press and drilled a 5/16 hole so I could access the air preload without having to take the cap off. Just like the All Mountain series. Just start small and work big, with a little cutting oil, and all is well. good luck.
here's a pic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.