Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going crazy reading reviews and have narrowed my new purchase down to a few forks by Marzocchi. Here are the details :

I have a 2004 Heckler with Van 125 RCL Forks, but I got the bike used, and the steering tube is cut too short for me. On long rides my wrists begin to hurt because the handle bars are too low. I already upgraded the stem to a 120mm with 15 degree rise. So now I am looking at a new fork with a new steering tube that I can cut around 8.5 inches.

My buddy has the Z150 FR 2004 and he's been happy with them, but the reviews say they are really heavy. Just how much do they weigh? My Heckler is already about 35 lbs. Also, is the ETA on the Z150 of 2004 the same as the ETA on the newer forks? My buddy says he has to force the forks down and then they stay down for a climb, but they don't just go down with the lever.

The Z1 also sounds good. The 55 ETA looks good too, and there are some deals on the All Mountain Forks of 06 and 07.

My riding style is all mountain with some long climbs, some fast downhill too. I don't really do any jumps yet. I weigh about 210 with my gear. I want something light, strong and with the ETA feature for long climbs, and something a little longer than my current 125 Vanillas for a nicer feel.

My last concern is the standing clearance I have over my top tube. I have enough now, but with a longer fork, I might not have much room, but a more cush ride sounds sweet.

If you have used any of those forks or can recommend another, please do... this is taking too long. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
the ETA works exactly like your friend describes.... it locks the rebound, so you have to compress it....the older z150s and z1s are great forks.....

the newer stuff has had some problems...mostly QC...

what is your budget for the upgrade???

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
In my opinion, the ETA is perhaps the most useful climbing mechanism on the market. One thing of note is that despite being locked down, there is some mm's of movement still available to cope with small trail features. This helps you to not get hung up the moment you hit a root, such as with the ECC that locked the fork completely down, no movement.

I will agree with Criss, mostly QC, but I believe there's a strong design element that was missed and now Zoke is finding out along with the customers (at their expense). The 05-07 TST is something you should run away from. The Z1 Light was essentially a 1 year only fork, using the highly regarded RC2. This model existed in 06 and had everything, from ETA, to travel adjust, to rebound and compression. Some can argue it was Zoke's best fork and best equipped one at that. The 07 Z1 was the last of them, changing the upper assembly, losing TAS, and gaining an orange paintjob. I have one as well. This more closely resembled the EU Z1 Light for 06 which didn't have the TAS travel adjust.

I would not get a QR fork at the 150mm travel range. This was one of the big factors in me getting rid of my All Mountain 1 for a used Z1 Light (luckily I found one). The AM was so flexy that I lost confidence on small drops and slow speed turn ins at near trackstand speeds. It was scary to use, in fact. The damper was awful and also lent itself to me losing confidence. Mine never blew, but I got rid of it with about a dozen rides. Don't know how the current owner is dealing with it, nearly two years later.

Earlier Z1's, such as the Z150 with HSCV are quite good as well. Most I've seen are beaten to hell, which could also be a testament to how burly these forks are.

At your weight, I'd look into a 20mm model. It's tough to go wrong with most Zokes 07 and before. Just stay away from long travel QR forks from Zoke. They are not going to feel good.

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
I've got an 04 Z150 and it's still working great. It is about 6.5 lbs which is about the same weight as the RS Domain. The 03 Z150 was at least 1/2 lb more than the 04 because it had a steel steerer tube. The 04 has an aluminun steerer and steel stanchions.

I like the older Marz forks because of their simplicity. IMHO, there are too many things to go wrong on the current forks.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Moozico,
I can testify to Jerk on the Z1 light. I had one and got rid of it thinking I would like the 36 van better but I did'nt so I went back to Marz. and got the 55 ETA. The feel of the 55 is semillar but as soon as Marz. makes the RC3 Cart available for the 55 I will get it. I hope this happens. I have only 2 rides on my 55 ETA. I really like the features that the TST micro has. I am skeptical of its longevity. I have good exp with this fork so far. Good small bump performance, lock out on top or Eta, vary the compression due to putting in more or less air on the ETA side. Looks like this is a good fork so far. Time will tell. I hope in six months I still have no issues. Way too soon for a long term positive recommendation.
Good luck with your search,
Mctigre:thumbsup:

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
I definitely agree with Danno on the simplicity and excellent performance of the older Z1 seried. The tried-and-true HSCV cart isn't bulletproof...instead it's just about bombproof. I think the RC2 cart like the one in my '06 66SL is excellent and pretty darned reliable. It seems most of the problems have occured with more exotic travel adjust and tricky on-the-fly compression systems that have been introduced in later years. I prefer a fork that has the travel I want and doesn't have a boat load of travel and damping doodads. Personally for me, a high and low compression adjustment along with a good rebound circuit is about all I want or need. And frankly, if the compression circuit is well designed in the first place, like the older HSCV cart, you can use the oil as a major tuning element in a full oil bath fork and then adjust the rebound circuit accordingly. I think Marz started trying to get a little "too cute" with a bunch of complated bells-and-whistles starting with the old AM1.

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
TNC said:
Personally for me, a high and low compression adjustment along with a good rebound circuit is about all I want or need.
Yeah, the only thing I possibly miss on the Z150 is that low speed compression adjust. That's one feature that's nice on my 06 888rc2x, but it's not a huge deal either. Because of the longer travel of the 888 it is sometimes nice to be able to dial in some anti-dive without having to stiffen the springs. I've never really felt much of a need for it on the Z150 however.

I've actually got 4 bikes with Marz forks on them and two have the HSCV damping. Like you say, they're pretty much bomb proof, and the damping is hard to beat.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help

Thanks for all the respones. The comments really help. My budget is up to $600.

After reading all the above, it seems my best choices so far:

1. 2004 Z150 FR
2. 2006 Z1 Light
3. 2008 55 ETA

I also found a 2004 Z1 FR ETA. Any comments on that one?

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
moozico said:
I can't find that Z1 Light anywhere. Anyone know where to get it at a good price? I might go with the 55 ETA if I can't find the Z1 light.
There's a good reason for that. While the only slight drawback on the Z1 was 32mm stanchions, I can attest to the difference between it and the 36 to be not as great as one would think.

I don't think a 55 would be a good replacement, considering the damper and the mods being done on them to make them work like real mountain bikers would want (shim stacks).

When I got my Z1, it was a miracle I found one buried in the classifieds. It was rebuilt poorly by a hamfisted mechanic on these forums somewhere, but an oil change was all it really needed to get the carts to work (wrong oil, volumes were all off, and carts were barely operative).

Also look for the orange Z1 RC2 anniversary from 07. It's the same thing, except no TAS travel adjust, just ETA.

·
Registered
611 Posts
1 you can wait for the 55 RC3 (2009) with ETA
2 If you can find a good deal - Z1FR ETA 2007 - I bought and I*m very pleased!!
3 lose the QR forks! after the 20mm, I agree with all of those who said to me! way better!

AM1 has the TAS not very reliable - broke mine and had to make one (from titanium) since marzocchi asked me 150€ plus labour!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
10,084 Posts
moozico said:
Hi, what is the QR that you guys don't like? What does that stand for?

Also, what is the TAS feature that the orange version lacks?

Thanks! You guys are awesome.
QR is a standard quick release. Not that we dont like it, just that a 20mm thru axle is much stiffer and provides more accurate steering - especially in the longer forks.

TAS is Marzocchi's travel adjust feature. allows you to adjust the fork between 160-130mm. The orange Z1 still has ETA which holds the fork down as it is compressed except for the last 30(I believe) mm.

Personally I do not miss having the TAS (had it on my AM1) Originally I planned on pulling the TAS out of my am1 and stuffing it in the Z1 but I cant be bothered now.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Glad I kept my Z1 FR1 for my heckler

Currently my 55Eta is at Marzocchi, been there about a week and a half.
I was told they're waiting on parts. After a few months of riding i started getting only 130mm travel, plus the 20mm axle had been sloppy since new. Before the 55 I was running a 07 Fox Van which was nice but i missed the travel adjust, found it too tall on the climbs.
So last weekend i slapped on my old trusty 05 Z1 FR with ETA, hsvc. I forgot how awesome this fork is. Had me thinking by the end of my ride to keep the Z1 and sell the 55. Iam 220 riding a heckler, have many miles on the Z1 and it peforms like a champ!

By the way.......
2 hours left on this auction on ebay for a 07 Z1
http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Marzocchi-...ryZ36135QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi EL76, thanks for that news. It sounds like the travel adjustment feature is ready liked by everyone, so I'm going to wait until I find the right fork. I hope to find the Z1 2006 model new somewhere. I saw that one on eBay, but I think I'll splurge and get a new one.

I have a Heckler too. My cousin is pushing me to get the Intense 5.5 or Spider...any Intense fans out there? My Heckler is ok, but it's my first bike, so I have nothing to compare it too. It squeaks a lot though when I climb hills. I just ordered a new crank set...I hope that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Only one thing Moozico

ETA and Travel adjustment are completly different things.

ETA will reduce axle-to-crown distance but it won`t be like a fork with 120 (say that ETA can compress 30!). It will fell almost like a rigid fork!
You push the ETA lever, than jump on the front... and it will compress. Head angle and seat angle will be on a most up-right poisition, helping you climb.
I simply love ETA!

TAS is like the Tallas (Fox forks). You can drop the fork to normally 3 settigs:: 100/130/160 (36 tallas - correct me if i`m wrong).
Problem is that Marzocchi recommend to remove all the air to adjust the travel and them pump all over again! It`s not friendly like the Fox Tallas/Rockshox U-turn, and with the TAS you adjust beteween 130/150 and let it be like that all ride!

Intense makes nice bikes (I like them) althought it`s not a seen bike over here!
If you think it`s time to "move on"... than try to "test-drive" one.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
EL76 said:
Currently my 55Eta is at Marzocchi, been there about a week and a half.
I was told they're waiting on parts. After a few months of riding i started getting only 130mm travel, plus the 20mm axle had been sloppy since new. Before the 55 I was running a 07 Fox Van which was nice but i missed the travel adjust, found it too tall on the climbs.
So last weekend i slapped on my old trusty 05 Z1 FR with ETA, hsvc. I forgot how awesome this fork is. Had me thinking by the end of my ride to keep the Z1 and sell the 55. Iam 220 riding a heckler, have many miles on the Z1 and it peforms like a champ!

By the way.......
2 hours left on this auction on ebay for a 07 Z1
http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Marzocchi-...ryZ36135QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I just won that fork. I really didn't NEED it so I put in a bid of 300 before I went to bed and it looks like I got a hell of a deal.

Anyways, since I don't need it I'd like to tear into it and get it in top condition before I install it. Is there a guide somewhere? What is this "Works" tuning from Marz that I've heard about. Can I replicate that? Thank you and sorry for the hijack.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.