Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
taste it
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Z150 FR oil height what is best

help
my brand new 2004 Z150 FR fork bottoming out harsh with a loud crack clack noise - definately getting full travel

factory settings from top of crown (forks and rods compressed) :
oil height left leg 50mm
right leg was 90mm
factory oil wt.

I increased right leg oil height to now 60mm and it still goes bang on those full compression and hard landings

where to now guys and recommendations???
cheers

·
Please be quiet and ride!
65 Posts
Z150 Oil Height

When you measure the oil height in your fork, you measure from the top of the stanchion down to the oil. Of course the springs are removed, and the fork is fully compressed. If your fork is bottoming, you will want to first try the oil at 55mm from the top. This should prevent harsh bottoming. You will want to run this amount in both legs of the forks. If you changed your fork from 50 to 60 your fork will bottom out easier, not resist it. Remember the less the measurement from the top of the tube to the oil, the more oil you have in your fork thus resisting bottoming out. Marzocchi does not recommend having less than 50mm of space between the top of the stantion and the oil. If you have more oil in the fork than this, it will not get full travel.

I hope this helps, sorry if I explained things you already know. BTW I have a z150, and have changed the oil several times, and just changed the seals and wipers.

Good Luck...
BB

Attachments

·
taste it
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oil height

thanks BB

theres alot of opinions out there on oil heights all pretty close in measurements wise
I have even seen 40mm oil height
all measuements taken with springs out, fork and pumping rods compressed

the original oil heights from factory were R/H leg 90mm and the L/H leg 50mm
strange the R/H leg had stuff all oil
so the RH leg is the only side I have adjusted to 60mm using depth gauge
this still resulted in harsh metal to metal bottom outs

will adjust RH leg to 50mm

cheers

·
Registered
619 Posts
175cc/leg

If you want to start from scratch and change the oil while it's apart.

Make sure you've cycle the old oil out of the cartridges. Cycle it 3 or 4 times. When you fill up each leg cycle it again 3-4 times to fill up the legs and then measure.

If you want to help eliminate the guess work...big guys need to run about 175cc of oil in each leg. Go ahead and start with that. Check my coversions, but if I remember correctly it's 17.5 ml (millilitres). A measure you can take from most any measuring cup around the kitchen.

I did mine this way and, after I cycled the cartridges, it was almost dead on 45 mm mark. Of course you could add or pull out (with a syringe) a drop or two. It takes some of the guesswork out trying to make sure the cartridges are full.

When doing the final measurement remember to fully compress the fork with the springs removed and the cartridge pushed down.

I'm 170# and it's perfect at 45mm with 7 weight oil. I tried 10 weight and it slowed down compression too much imo. Strange, cause I liked 10 in my Z1.

GOOD LUCK!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.