Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
bonkin' clyde
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worthwhile to use a Marzocchi Z1 Drop-off II for XC and light dh? It looks like a classic XC fork to me, even though its in the category of freeride and DH, which doesn't wuite make sense. I was thinking that since the fork is quite inexpensive compared to others in its class plus its rave reviews at mtbr product reviews, why not get it? but then, i wonder if I'll be using it for its 'ideal' use.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think the reason is the weight, and lack of lock-out. They're fairly beefy and relatively heavy forks, so for XC use you might be better off with some MX Comp ETA forks or MX Pro ETA. Some folks will disagree but I like the ETA for climbing, which the Drop Off 2 doesn't have. I was in a similar situation specing my forks... and went with the Z1 FR SL because it was the only "intended use" XC/FR cross-over fork, but it's not super cheap. Just depends how hard you'll be riding I guess.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The fork is just heavy and tall.

So if you were to mount it on a XC frame, it would throw off the geometry.

But if it was on a bike made for such a tall fork, sure you can ride it XC. It just won't feel as good as a XC fork in terms of compliance.

I rode a Dirt Jumper 3 on some XC rides and it was doable. No cushy ride because the DropOffs and the DJ forks have the old SSV dampers, which are good for one big hit at at time, not really good for the fast repeating bumps on a XC ride.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts