Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Designated Bleeder
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard a rumor that there is a conversion kit to turn a 2003 Z1 FR from 130mm of travel to 150mm of travel. Anyone know where I could get one of these kits or if they even exist?

SpK

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
SpecialK said:
I have heard a rumor that there is a conversion kit to turn a 2003 Z1 FR from 130mm of travel to 150mm of travel. Anyone know where I could get one of these kits or if they even exist?

SpK
I think that what you need is a set of Z150 cartridges. You could potentially go with 05 Z1 carts, but the Z150s are cheaper. TNC will probably be able to enlighten you further as he's done a lot of mods on Marzochis from that vintage. You could also call Marzocchi and get the info straight from the horse's mouth. You might need a set of Z1or Super T top caps as well, but you might be able to reuse the current ones. I am a bit cloudy about that one.

_MK

·
Designated Bleeder
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Z1 Mod

Thanks for the advice. I want to make sure I can gather all the info I can prior to modifying the fork. The last thing I want to do is modify it incorrectly and damage the fork. The one thing that I worry about is that since the 2003 Z1 was only meant to go 130mm, the stantions will be too short to safely (for the fork and myself) modify it to 150mm.

We'll see, it may just be easier to sell this fork and buy a new longer travel fork.

SpK

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
SpecialK said:
Thanks for the advice. I want to make sure I can gather all the info I can prior to modifying the fork. The last thing I want to do is modify it incorrectly and damage the fork. The one thing that I worry about is that since the 2003 Z1 was only meant to go 130mm, the stantions will be too short to safely (for the fork and myself) modify it to 150mm.

We'll see, it may just be easier to sell this fork and buy a new longer travel fork.

SpK
As far as I know the only real difference between 03 and 04 Z1 chasis was the introduction of the 20mm option and black color. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure. The only difference in 04 and 05 chasis was elimination of the QR option and introduction of a 20mm bolt-on vs QR20 silliness. 04s were 130mm, 05s were 130 and 150mm. The stanchions were the same as were the lowers (internally). Apparently there's still enough overlap in the stanchions to be adequate at 150mm travel. That is for sure true for the 04 Z1, I am not positive about the 03. There could be someone here to fill in the uncertainty. Calling Marzocchi ought to be the best bet.

_MK

·
customized
3,123 Posts
I did this mod but to a 2004 Z1. I bought both 04 Z150 carts and this is the trick, a pair of 05 Z1FR1 springs and it worked perfect. The Z150 springs are thicker and won't fit.Used the same caps. Cost me $200.

The 05 carts are a little nicer and cost more. Over $300 with all the caps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.