Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Be carfeul when tightening the foot nuts.

My Z.1 FR was leaking some oil from the right leg foot nut (HSCV side). So I asked Marzocchi what was up since the fork was only 3 rides old. They suggested tightening the foot nut. Since I didn't have a socket that fit, I took it down to the LBS. The service guy obliged and proceeded to tighten it up. Well, a quarter turn into it and the threads snapped.
The metal is kinda soft on the rebound cartridge, which the foot threads are part of. So he gave Mazocchi a call and it will be fixed free of charge. It's a good thing that I didn't try to tighten it, otherwise I'd be paying for it. No biggie though, luckily I have a spare fork.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
For clarification...

burninator said:

My Z.1 FR was leaking some oil from the right leg foot nut (HSCV side). So I asked Marzocchi what was up since the fork was only 3 rides old. They suggested tightening the foot nut. Since I didn't have a socket that fit, I took it down to the LBS. The service guy obliged and proceeded to tighten it up. Well, a quarter turn into it and the threads snapped.
The metal is kinda soft on the rebound cartridge, which the foot threads are part of. So he gave Mazocchi a call and it will be fixed free of charge. It's a good thing that I didn't try to tighten it, otherwise I'd be paying for it. No biggie though, luckily I have a spare fork.
Did the threads on the actual cartridge strip (the male end) or the threads in the nut itself?...or both?

·
customized
3,123 Posts
I am sure that it wasn't the footnut being loose but the o-ring that seals the footnut to the leg that was fouled from the factory. I can promise you that Marzocchi uses a torque wrench when the forks are assembled at the factory. The nut was as tight as it should have been.

·
Riding dirt since 1970
593 Posts
burninator said:

What year fork?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.