Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D

Okay, i'll do us all a favour and post pics first. You'll only scroll down to see them first anyways ..... :lol:

1) SWEET! Gotta love Racing Black. Faster and lighter than the original. ;)
2) first for me - seat and bars are the same height! No funky stem, either. :skep:
3) drive side SS-specific dropout in action.
4) non-drive side ISO disc mount in action ..... and the face of evil! :devil:
5) the Formula for great speed is great brakes. (yeah, it's cheesy, but ..... meh)

..... more to come - one more pic and LOTS of me blabbing about my new ride and all the wonderful things i've noticed in the past 2 kilometers :eekster:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
1) the hidden gem all on it's own accord - one light fork! :cool:

Okay, NOW i'll start blabbing.

This thing ****ing ROCKS! :p :D :thumbsup:

I've had a couple of small local rides so far today. I'm stunned, nearly beside myself with amazement at what i'm noticing about what i've ridden in the past and what I SHOULD have been on all along. It's truly humbling. (Peter, you should have made these a LONG time ago!!!)

From the top, shall we?

Fit - yes, it does so VERY well, thank you very much. For the first time in my life i'm on a MTB that actually fits me properly. It hasn't taken a stack of spacers that reach the Moon or a stem to make a large boom crane envious. Just a smart design with the right wheels. ;) After picking up the rear wheel from the Misfit factory last night (procrastination on my part - the Ugly Monkey Spoke Lacer does great work!) I finished the build and was shocked to see the ends of the handlebar sitting on the same horizontal plane as my seat. And YES, still a "skyscraper" seatpost, but hidden as such by the geometry that is nestled sweetly within the enormous globes of 29. No back strain of any kind at any time, my neck doesn't feel like it's being twisted into a pretzel and plenty of room to play around with to finish getting my fit "just so".

Performance - check! It's right there next to the nitrous button. Tied in with fit I can put power down better than I have before, although the fact that i'm riding something so different than before means i've got some learning to do. I'm feeling the need to say it's almost to the point in having to learn to ride again - let's say "same, but different". Goldilocks couldn't have gotten the frame and fork any better - not too stiff, not too mushy, juuuuuuust right! :thumbsup: Throw in a couple of big wheels and some good rubber and there's little left to be desired. I've NEVER been on a rigid bike that I can compare this too - okay, for some obvious reasons, but still! The entire combination feels at home at a snails pace as it does at speed. There's NO sign of it being twitchy OR train-like. Lean, carve, point-and-shoot, the Dissent just takes it in stride with a "what, that's ALL you got?!?!? Pffftttt!" attitude. Ballsy, but not ignorantly so. I appreciate that very much.

Quality - speaking of frame and fork only I have to say that Peter gives great value for the money with this combo. It's not going to break the bank and it's not going to win the "best thing since sliced bread" award, but it wasn't designed to be the most expensive on the block or a Show Queen. Sometimes basics are all that you need and the Dissent delivers, with a few surprises. Simple things like having cable guides that need nothing more than a zip-tie to secure, a large diameter downtube to double as a decent fender, a fork with an intuitive cable guide that needs nothing more than a simple twist and you're ready to ride, sliding dropouts that offer enough room for adjustment to be useable (AND they're aluminum so they don't weigh a ton). Best of all? IMHO, a fork that keeps up with a Pace carbon 29er, in terms of weight(!!!), at a fraction of the cost. For the money I think some of the Big Fish need to watch out and stop taking their size for granted.

Okay, that should be enough to have Peter sending me a cheque ..... let's get to the GOOD stuff, yeah? ;)

Throw a leg over and the first thing I notice is that my seat is a LOT lower than it used to be. Hmmm, no, my legs tell me that's not true. My back and my neck tell me that something isn't right ..... no, wait, something IS right. Very right! Ooooohhh, I can breath better, too. Alright, well this long wheelbase, especially the rear end of the bike, will surely make a tank out of this thing. pedal pedal pedal Nope, gets around things just fine. Well what about cornering? What about it?!?!?! It's better than what i've been on before and I don't feel that limit like i'm about to go OTB all the time anymore, either. Well there's gotta be SOMETHING wrong with it! Yeah, I didn't have this YEARS ago! :lol:

The part about the OTB while cornering hard part has really opened my eyes though. In the past couple of years i've posted on MTBR a few times about cornering issues and while i've done my best while riding to keep my weight low while riding i'm now humbled with the fact that haivng the right bike in the first place does more for this than any best intentions you can throw at a situation. I kept trying to push the front of the bike around and nothing - solid. Really friggin' solid!

My last bit of blabbing and i'll finally shut up;

I have to give 2 BIG thanks with this discovery. One is to MTBR and all it's members. It's been interesting searching, reading and posting about/for more 29er info and I can only say thanks for everyone sharing here on the boards.

The other is to a patient man named Peter that goes out of his way to help the 29er cause and fellow riders. It was last year at my first race that Peter let me try out a Dissent and while I was skeptical at first, I knew that putting on a few of my more comfortable parts would help to yield something that would turn into a winner. He knew the bug bit me and that it was only a matter of time before I came looking for some kind of vaccination.

So, THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a bunch of 26" MTB parts to clean and list for sale so I can get my King hubs on this thing. I won't be looking back at these now-BMX-like pieces. :p :D

Again THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT - sorry, a little excited and forgot the picture. :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MMcG said:
Nice Bike Andrew!

Notice a huge difference between this and the 96er too??
Ninety-what-her?!?!??! :eekster: I hardly know her. :rolleyes: (okay, that sucked)

Yes, but it's really not a fair comparison. There, I said it. There are many differences making a fair comparison difficult - partially because i've only had a small amount of ride time and because there are clear cut differences.

You'll remember my 96er trial with my Eclipse titanium frame ..... that was the closest thing i've had to a well fitting bike and while it worked well on trails the Dissent is already showing vast improvements on pavement and snow covered dirt. There's also a big weight defecit in the mix - the wheelset on the Dissent isn't light, IMHO, yet it still out-performs the 96er attributes in spades in every department. Yes, I just said that and no, i'm not joking. I'm a big WW and i'm not let down with the increased weight-induced RR for sake of overall performance. Don't get me wrong, though!!!! I'm still going to be putting my King hubs on this bike. Another wheelset is already being looked into. Should drop the weight down by 1.3 pounds and put it really close to the 20-pound marker. Then there'll be absolutely, positively NO contest in my mind that 96er's prevail in any way. (sorry! SORRY!!!!!!! I just can't lie about something like this)

Okay, i'll wait for 29Colossus and Guitar Ted to say "I told you so" now. :p

**** I love this bike!

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
How long is that stem you are using? I always wonder about the 29ers with Long stems or short stems scenario - which handles better??

Also, that fork is supple if you will, even with it being AL? You comment that it rivals a Pace - is that rivals it in weight or rivals it in bump absorption or both?

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MMcG said:
How long is that stem you are using? I always wonder about the 29ers with Long stems or short stems scenario - which handles better??

Also, that fork is supple if you will, even with it being AL? You comment that it rivals a Pace - is that rivals it in weight or rivals it in bump absorption or both?
Weight! Sorry, I should have phrased that better - i'll fix it. I've never had a ride on a Pace fork so I can't say anything about bump absorbtion in comparison to that fork (although it DOES beats the pants off the Dimension and Zion - LARGE!!!!). The Misfit fork weighs 748 grams with an uncut steerer tube (11 3/4" or 229 mm). The a2c is ~472 mm. Only just slightly heavier than the Pace (by about 50 grams from what i've read).

The stem i'm using at the moment is a Race Face System. It measures 120 mm long. I can't say much about a stem length comparison right now because that's the only stem i've put on my Dissent, but I CAN tell you I won't be using a longer one. I'm pretty comfortable right now with that stem.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Singular said:
Nice looking bike. One question: doesn't it kind defeat the purpose (or at least one of them) to have a bolt on hub on a sliding dropout frame? Is this by accident or design?

Enjoy it!

Sam
I guess that depends on one's idealogy of why you'd have sliding dropouts in the first place, Sam. For ME it's a built-in chain tensioner, nothing more.

As for the hub being a bolt-on - that's the only configuration that the Misfit rear hub comes in, there's no QR option (the front hub IS a QR though). I wanted something inexpensive "to start with" as a "just in case" option. I have QR hubs that I could have used, but didn't want to concern myself with swapping hubs/spokes/rims around multiple times if I didn't like the frame and this was the best option to suit my momentary needs. I have another wheel build (the aforementioned King hubs, both of which are ISO disc QRs) and they'll work just the same with the dropouts, no problems. The dropouts don't care if you're using a bolt-on or QR hub, so nothing about the Dissent dictates this by design or otherwise.

Thanks for the compliment. :cool:

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1440Brad said:
Nice ride Andrew..:thumbsup: I'm jealous..:madman:
Am I reading this right..In it's present configuration it weights 22 lbs?
Great looking bike.
Just figured out the numbers. It's 22.34 pounds as you see in the pics. I was a little off in my guesstimation, but the wheel weight drop was at least correct. :madman: The new wheelset should put it at 21 pounds. Once I figure out if I like the stem length i'll be able to drop more there (that System is 224 grams!), along with a few other tidbits i'm thinking about.

Eddie - I hear ya'. Already making a list of parts to sell. ;)

·
Avenger of Evil
577 Posts
Stop

AndrewTO said:
Just figured out the numbers. It's 22.34 pounds as you see in the pics. I was a little off in my guesstimation, but the wheel weight drop was at least correct. :madman: The new wheelset should put it at 21 pounds. Once I figure out if I like the stem length i'll be able to drop more there (that System is 224 grams!), along with a few other tidbits i'm thinking about.

Eddie - I hear ya'. Already making a list of parts to sell. ;)
Stop...You are making me even more jealous..:D
Now what can I sell before I call Peter.....

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
Cool tires

How are you liking those tires? I am currently running Rampages but those WTB's look cool. Or could it be the bike looks cool with the WTB's on it:D

·
Glorified Hybrid Owner
1,091 Posts
Wow, looks sharp. I realy like the natural aluminum finish.

Peter is a good guy and everyone that I know that has a diSSent loves them, from Kansas to Australia.

I need to get one, but for now I may just start with some Misfit FUbars.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.