Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, finally departing from the rigid/hardtail-only philosophy for good...it's settled. getting a full-suspension...and it's going to be a new or hardly used (?!:rolleyes: :D craiglist, ebay...!?) GIANT YUKON FX.

i've heard this is the 'best' bargain (bottom of the barrel) FS bike out there for under $1000. i just want something to hit decent singletrack HARD without wearing myself out. at 46, i won't be doing insane drops or jumps at all, but just want to be able to scramble up rocky/rooty PA and DE trails without pulverizing my wrists, especially on the descent!

so, anyways, i am already sold on one of these, but i'd like to know WHO here has tried or owned (or still owns) one of these. i hear the 2008-2010 models are pretty much the same except for color. i'll be getting the Medium i believe (i assume that's the size i'll need since that's what my DEFY is...even tho it is a road bike). i'm used to riding smaller MTBikes and don't mind having alot of seatpost showing, but would there be a big weight difference between M and S/M? i'm a psychosomatic weight weenie...:madman:

the LBS has a couple of 2009 models remaining and they said they'd give me a deal on one...so, i need to jump soon. thanks for any info you've got:thumbsup:

p.s. posted this same spiel over on the BikeForums site! i just need qualitative AND quantitative info;)

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/mountain/2278/32120/

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/yukon.fx/3902/36619/

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok, i got some good advice to just stick with the MEDIUM...and comparing some specs i do see differences in rear shock, etc.

looks like the stem is longer, too, on the 09 model. i think i'll save a couple of hundred (i hope) if i shoot for the older model. on a superficial level, i want the new BLUE 2010 model, but the silver/black/orange looks pretty mean. still, would like to know what the riding difference is.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JimC. said:
compare here: http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Side2Side.aspx?BikeIDs=19396b+16855

Get the top tube length correct for the best fit, that is, with butt on saddle and hands on bars, the bike feels just like it was made for you. Not too upright, not too much pressure on hands/forward.

Jim
thanks jim. that sounds good...see how it FEELS. with this, i want to feel like i am sitting down IN it and not just ON it.

going in tomorrow and see what kind of deal they can offer for the 2009....and of course, see how it feels

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok...walked in...asked what was the best they could do on the remaining 2009 medium frame...$700 straight up...can't beat that for my first FS...blue 2010 not worth the extra $200 or so

hope to give it a real test out on the trails today

1 - 5 of 5 Posts