Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have an Izzo, since Nov 2020. One of my riding buddies has a 2019 Trek EX 9. something, all top end component, carbon wheels etc. I rode it several times while deciding on a new bike. I liked it but wasn't as "blown away" with it as he was and still is. Plus I wanted something different, I didn't want to have the same Trek or Specialized that everyone else was riding. Now after comparing the two bikes and riding them back to back I'm so glad I got the Izzo. I really can't say for certain why it feels and rides better but it does, for me at least. When we switch bike he always says the same thing, Wow that thing is really nice. I've had zero problems with it except for the weak Sram brakes which some Jagwire pads cured and the Fox shock will suddenly start chirping like a bird occasionally then it stops for a few rides. Those aren't necessarily YT problems though. The only thing I will say is better on the Trek would be the paint quality, the YT is lacking some there. So here's a vote for the Izzo.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nice to hear JCKID58. Last year I was scouring bike shops looking for a stump jumper or trek fuel and kept getting laughed out of the shops. They said it was looking like a 6-12month backlog on orders. Luckily got an Izzo and while I don't have much to compare to I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jumping in on a bit of an old thread to see if there are any further thoughts since these original posts. One thing that concerns me is the reference to the Izzo being "down country" and I know these terms are getting silly but I don't see why the Izzo is in there along with the Top Fuel but the Fuel EX that has the same rear travel as the Izzo is not a down country bike.

Regardless, I would be curious to hear more about how the travel feels, especially from JCKID or others who have ridden both. What is your weight and does the Izzo feel as plush on the down hills? Clearly from all of the input, the climbing sounds like it would be better but I wonder if that means a sacrifice of squish on the downhills.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Jumping in on a bit of an old thread to see if there are any further thoughts since these original posts. One thing that concerns me is the reference to the Izzo being "down country" and I know these terms are getting silly but I don't see why the Izzo is in there along with the Top Fuel but the Fuel EX that has the same rear travel as the Izzo is not a down country bike.

Regardless, I would be curious to hear more about how the travel feels, especially from JCKID or others who have ridden both. What is your weight and does the Izzo feel as plush on the down hills? Clearly from all of the input, the climbing sounds like it would be better but I wonder if that means a sacrifice of squish on the downhills.
Hey yes I have ridden both bikes. My friends EX 9.9 (? I think) and I have had my Izzo since Nov. 2020. The Izzo has a firmer ride when set up for my weight, I am 5"8"probably 155 with a camelbak. My buddy is shorter than me but probably 25 lbs. heavier. His EX feels mushy by comparison, I don't know how his suspension is set up though. The EX handling feels slower, less snappy to me. The Izzo seems to climb faster also. The trails I've ridden his EX on didn't have any faster rough downhills so I can't comment there. I can say I have ridden some pretty rough fast stuff in north Georgia and couldn't be happier with the Izzo's stability. I have only 1 spacer in my fork, I like a fork to be plush, I have always had a hard time getting fork to feel good to me not sure if it's my weight or riding "style" but these feel good now. I am running around 25% sag in the rear. I am far from pro level skill and speed but I do prefer the YT to the EX. I have no idea what all the labels -down country-mean anymore but for my riding the Izzo is the best bike I have ridden at this point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Izzo does not like bumpy terrain.
Interested to hear more about this. I think this is my main concern; that it does not feel like it has 130mm of travel compared with other bikes in the same travel category. I'm currently on a 2018 Fuel EX aluminum frame and looking to go carbon but try a different brand. Very happy with the suspension feel of the Trek.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey yes I have ridden both bikes. My friends EX 9.9 (? I think) and I have had my Izzo since Nov. 2020. The Izzo has a firmer ride when set up for my weight, I am 5"8"probably 155 with a camelbak. My buddy is shorter than me but probably 25 lbs. heavier. His EX feels mushy by comparison, I don't know how his suspension is set up though. The EX handling feels slower, less snappy to me. The Izzo seems to climb faster also. The trails I've ridden his EX on didn't have any faster rough downhills so I can't comment there. I can say I have ridden some pretty rough fast stuff in north Georgia and couldn't be happier with the Izzo's stability. I have only 1 spacer in my fork, I like a fork to be plush, I have always had a hard time getting fork to feel good to me not sure if it's my weight or riding "style" but these feel good now. I am running around 25% sag in the rear. I am far from pro level skill and speed but I do prefer the YT to the EX. I have no idea what all the labels -down country-mean anymore but for my riding the Izzo is the best bike I have ridden at this point.
Thanks for the additional info. I get that sometimes it just feels right and I'm sure weight plays a role with different suspension setups so it's hard to take someones different body stats and subjective input and be sure how it applies. I appreciate the input though.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that downcountry just means your bike feels best on flow trails. The Izzo does not like bumpy terrain.

Can you explain? Every trail I ride is bumpy, it's trail riding(?) We ride one machine built "flow" trail a couple times a year and a hardtail would work there. I have owned several full suspensions and ridden many more. I have literally ridden trails all over the country. The Izzo is the best overall bike I personally have ridden in a variety of conditions. I've read dozens, at least, reviews from owners and web-site reviews this is the first time I've heard the bike doesn't like bumps.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Tolerance to bumpy terrain is a bit subjective. I say this because there are old school guys who ride XC bikes over long sustained rock gardens with no issue.

Example of trail where I find the Izzo a little of out of its elements. Gets chunkier further down the trail

On terrain like that, the Izzo is a little too harsh for me to really let go and ride more aggressively.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Tolerance to bumpy terrain is a bit subjective. I say this because there are old school guys who ride XC bikes over long sustained rock gardens with no issue.

Example of trail where I find the Izzo a little of out of its elements. Gets chunkier further down the trail

On terrain like that, the Izzo is a little too harsh for me to really let go and ride more aggressively.
I actually like that everyone's perspective is so different. I see a flow trail in this video. I do see around half way through it gets rougher for, I don't know, 20 seconds or so. But that is a flow trail in my mind. Our usual trails are rougher than that. North GA. is way more than that. Different perspectives are good, that's why I don't try to use or understand all the cliche terms like down country. I would like to ride that trail too.

·
Registered
799 Posts
You are right, it's mostly flow, but there is a technical rock section. But the worst part for me is the brake bumps. My old 27.5 Trance with 140m didn't feel as harsh on repeated bumps.

I imagine the Izzo would be amazing fun at a place like Bentonville.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.