Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The "Best Trail in AZ" thread got me to thinking...What are your top trails in AZ, and why? We all have different ideas of what makes a trail great. Share yours and maybe temp someone to try something different.

• White Tanks Mesquite Canyon/Willow Canyon loop. Yes the mile and half up Mesquite sucks and you'll likely need to hike a bike. But once your on top of the saddle and get back past Willow, its an amazing back country feeling ride. You're only a few miles out of town, but you feel like you should be so much further away. Then theres just the right amount of exposure on Willow coming back. Not enough to make you walk, but enough to feel the nerves.
  • 50 Year/Middle Gate. The rock rolls on 50 year are so much fun, plus so many B lines you can explore. Its another grinder to the top, but once you start rolling down middle gate, its just ear to ear grins.
  • Red Mountain Rush. A few techy spots near the top, but then you just start flowing as the trail goes on. And it goes on a long ways. Such a much longer decent than most others I've done around Phoenix. Plus the views from the top are amazing.
  • I haven't done enough South Mountain stuff to say which is my favorite. But any of the techy descents are always going to provide a challenge and fun.

· Black and Sticky
768 Posts
Coast to Coast T100 in Phoenix Mtn Preserve. Yeah, I know, not as sexy as most of the others mentioned. But it’s a fun and sometimes challenging trail and I’m lucky to have a trailhead only 3 blocks from my house. The ratio of fun to trailhead travel time is extremely high!

· Registered
474 Posts
Coast to Coast T100 in Phoenix Mtn Preserve. Yeah, I know, not as sexy as most of the others mentioned. But it’s a fun and sometimes challenging trail and I’m lucky to have a trailhead only 3 blocks from my house. The ratio of fun to trailhead travel time is extremely high!
Any trail you can get to without having to drive to becomes a favorite for sure 👍

· Always in the wrong gear
3,633 Posts
AZT San Fran segment
"Old" Wasabi (Pre Museum Fire)
Geronimo
BCT Little pan loop (Skyline/Cheapshot/Pan segments) from Rock Springs
Hog Heaven

Honorable mentions if I could ride them with little or no other traffic:
National
HiLine

I started a thread like this a long time ago. It's interesting so see what other folks call "favorites" or "best"

· Registered
97 Posts
Big adventure rides are the real plums in AZ.
Prescott circle trail.
Around the Peaks in Flag.
AZT- Tiger Mine to Freeman rd. to Willow Springs loop around Antelope Peak, Ripsey Hill loop from Kelvin, Kentucky Camp enduro, Oracle Ridge via the back road, CDO all the way down thru 50 year, Canelo hills.
For an easy 40mi cruise, Honeybee Canyon + Ridgeline/Wild Burro is one of the great rides in Tucson.
It's been awhile since I was at the north rim... probably some great loops up there.
There's a decent ride in Pinetop also.
Nice riding in Phoenix, but you're in the middle of a big city. Haven't you had enough of that in Socal? (I went the other direction, but return to the desert with a bike as often as I can).

· Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love adventure rides. My biggest issue with doing more of them right now is time. I use most of my vacation time for family and hunting. So getting the time set aside to do more than 3-4 hours on a weekend is tough.

Being from CA, at least in Phoenix I can get out of the city and population much quicker than in CA.

· dirt visionary
6,539 Posts
Lots of good picks for top 5 but Gold Ridge #47 should be in the mix. Not many nearly continuous 3500' descents in the state.
Six shooter, Ice House , Kellner , Gold Ridge , Revis Canyon , Freight Train all in the 3000ft or better range. Ice House is 100% down no up at all.

· Banned
2,444 Posts
Lots of good picks for top 5 but Gold Ridge #47 should be in the mix. Not many nearly continuous 3500' descents in the state.
Where is this?

La Milagrosa Tucson
Wild Burro/Ridgeline/Wild Mustang/Upper Javelina Tucson
Middle Gate at 50yr Tucson
Picketpost to Kelvin AZT PHX
Top of Wolverton to 62-Ranch Trail Prescott
Hiline/Baldwin/Templeton Sedona

I want to ride the BCT all the way, check out the Heart Trail in Flag, see whats up @ Mt Graham, and ride the Canelos. Those are on my list.

Reactions: She&I

· Banned
2,444 Posts
Prescott circle trail.
Around the Peaks in Flag.
AZT- Tiger Mine to Freeman rd. to Willow Springs loop around Antelope Peak, Ripsey Hill loop from Kelvin, Kentucky Camp enduro, Oracle Ridge via the back road, CDO all the way down thru 50 year, Canelo hills.
For an easy 40mi cruise, Honeybee Canyon + Ridgeline/Wild Burro is one of the great rides in Tucson.
It's been awhile since I was at the north rim... probably some great loops up there.
There's a decent ride in Pinetop also.
Nice riding in Phoenix, but you're in the middle of a big city. Haven't you had enough of that in Socal? (I went the other direction, but return to the desert with a bike as often as I can).
Park at the Wild Burro trailhead and do the .4 mile hike a bike and avoid honeybee altogether. Then you are right at the start of Ridgeline/Wild Burro. In fact thats my ride today.
White World Map Slope Line

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.