Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I think they're about like Airborne bikes.

Without a test ride or some feedback from riders who know what they're talking about, I'd trust a catalog full suspension bike about as far as I could throw it. I also don't like the spec on that particular one.

How about secondhand? You could get one of the more well-regarded, name-brand bikes, with a nice spec, for that budget.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks AndrwS - Yes that's one of my options, also I think I want to stay with a HT my ridding buddies say no, you have to have FS - I'm not sure that's the case.

It did seem weird that I had not heard this name in the forums before. Thanks for the advice man!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
When I first saw these bikes, I thought they were a European company. Maybe its resemblance to Ferrari and I just thought Italian. But these guys are a US company in Utah. I've read the review they had in MBA and they did get pretty good scores.

But you'd probably get much more bang for your buck with a slightly used bike. The components on that bike are pretty average and nothing to right home about especially the more expensive suspension parts (fork and rear shock). Those are the two things that really define the ride of a FS bike.

For an entry level FS, I'd much rather spend a few more hundred and get something like this (of course you'd have to find one in your size):

2013 Marin Mount Vision XM6 20 5" Full Suspsension MTB Bike 26 SRAM 10S Disc New | eBay

The price difference in the rear shock and fork alone would easily make up that difference in price. You'd also be getting a better groupset and hydraulic brakes instead of mechanicals.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shakester I appreciate the feedback - I will check that Marin out - I'm starting to think I get even more bang for my buck if I stick w/really nice HT.

Thx again!

·
Registered
445 Posts
That is correct! You will get way more with an HT. Make sure it fits and RIDE as many as you can. If you look hard you can find some real good deals on last years models and even 2012. I just got a great deal on a Cdale f29 1 alloy, almost 1/2 price. Jenson has some real good deals. Keep looking and you will find it.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Fishboy! I will be more patient this time around.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I still ride my hardtail once a week, give or take. But where I do most of my riding I really appreciate how much smoother my FS is, and I find I'm faster on it, most of the time. Really, you can go either way and be fine. $1200 is enough for either a good hardtail or a good FS if it's a couple years old, and probably enough for a nice hardtail if it's on closeout or something.

What are you riding now? Been mountain biking long?

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A beginners bike AndrewS Moto 450 - and been doing it for a about a year but I'm getting more and more into it - getting a little better and getting in better shape. All I know is that my fork is terrible (maybe it makes me better?)

So I'm looking to upgrade very soon. Starting my research early to make the right decision.

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
You will get way more with an HT.
I don't know if you'll get 'more', but it will cost less. Ride-wise though, once you get out of entry level bikes, FS bikes deliver in spades. I rarely bother with my hardtails for trail riding anymore, though they do rule for DJs, pumptracks, etc.

For people who have never put in some time on an FS bike, it's easy to recommend HTs over them. But spend a little time riding a decent FS bike that matches up to your riding style and local terrain and most will change their tune. Budget of course is the killer - cheap FS bikes pretty much suck, though there are some good deals on used ones out there for sure.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
You should enjoy the step up. :)

Just don't fall into the trap of incremental upgrades. Your budget is enough to do it like you mean it, though.

How do you feel about the fit of your Motobecane? Have you tried a FS? Have you tried one that was at least roughed in for you? Demoing a Camber last year really changed my perspective on FS bikes. They're a bit more individual than hardtails, I think.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The fit is great like I said my main complaint is the fork and the gears are not as smooth as FS I tried the other day (Cannondale) everything else is ok w/my Moto - but I just know I can get better at the sport with a better machine. I'm enjoying the heck out of the sport though!

So much help from these forums. It is awesome you guys take the time to walk newbies through the process.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,887 Posts
It depends on where you do the majority of your riding. Most of the people I ride with are usually riding FS, and I have been riding FS since 1999, but the bike I ride most of the time right now is a hardtail 29er with a 120mm fork, and it's just as fast (maybe a tad faster) as my Giant Anthem X 29 descending the local trails I ride most of the time. I have to step up to my Stumpjumper 29 or something like a RIP 9 to get any faster descending, but those bikes are a bit 'more' to haul up the hill.

There are other trails not far from where I live that I would definitely want full suspension for if that was where I ride the majority of the time. Riding a hardtail will jar your teeth out as the trails are mostly rock with a little dirt connecting them here and there.

Horses for courses.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
HT vs FS depends on your typical riding. Bang/Buck can't be compared. FS is more expensive but also significantly more mechanically complicated bike.

Def check some of those marin bikes on ebay.
2013 Marin Rift Zone XC6 29er 19" Full Suspension MTB Bike SRAM Avid Disc New | eBay
For $1200, recon silver front, and monarch back. Not sure how monarch compares to epicon for rear susp, but recon silver is better than xc28.
Also, elixir 1 is considered better than tektro mechanical, although not alot of info on 2013s tektros, and they have been changing their design a lot recently.
Also marin comes with x5 which is higher tier than the truvative s600 on the fezzari.
marin has race kings tires which are highly regarded here in teh tires subforum. Not sure about the the Fezz set.

Fezzari detailed specs
Wiki Peak Full Suspension Mountain Bike Tech Specs | Fezzari Bikes®

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you Gentlemen! I've noted all of your advice. That Marin is really catching my eye :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
in all fairness tot eh bike, it does come with Frame Defence Technology - and that likely ain't cheap......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts