Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
I Rode a Metric Century!
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have an 05 Chevy Tahoe and I am considering either a hitch bike carrier or do the custom made fork mount in the back. Can you guys that have SUV show pics of how you transport your bikes. I am in no way putting anything on top but I know it is an option.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Before I sold my 01 Expedition I had a fork mount bracket mounted to a 3' 2/6 wrapped in carpet to match my interior. That was the easiest and cheapest way to go and it kept out of sight for the most part.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
i have a 2000 Chevy Blazer and i run a hitch rack, its a model from cabelas with a 2 inch receiver ball on there so i can still tow the boat for some combination vacations (fish/waterski/wakeboard/bike) :thumbsup:

had it for 4 or 5 years and zero problems, and if i ever had any, its a cabelas branded item so it goes straight back and i get a replacement/refund :)

heres a link to a newer version
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...las bike rack&cm_ite=netcon&rid=0180101070502

·
I Rode a Metric Century!
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did that hold the bike with out straps? I was basically thinking of doing something similar. My dad is a wood guru and said he would help me.

·
Registered
103 Posts
built Ford tough!

Here's a couple of pix of my '00 Excursion. Sierra Club might call it "Ford Valdez" but mine has been (and continues to be) a true workhorse for my family and friends. With rear, front receivers and 3x 78" Thule rack system/trays , I could carry 12 bikes and seat 8 adults (plus room for gear) in comfort. SOT kayaks, cargo box can also go on top and hitch-mounted platform holds extra stuff (marine cooler/firewood)

Towing duties include occassionally pulling my buddy's off-shore rig to the dock and pulling our troop trailer for scout campouts.

During the workweek, my XL 29er and 61c road bike are secured by hitch-it fork mounts (on a 2x4 plank) inside the truck for those lunch rides. I had to undo the roof racks to clear our office parking building.

Oh yeah, 270K+ miles and still going strong ...:thumbsup:

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Goats Rule!
354 Posts
I have an '04 Suburban - been using a Yakima Roc4 for about 8 years. Used it on my previous Suburban too. Worked really well, but I just ordered a Yakima Holdup to replace it since it's getting pretty old and worn now.

Got the 2" version.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
T2 on a 4 door Jeep. The only thing that sux is driving up dirt roads. The bikes get crazy dusty/dirty on long shuttles.

·
Registered
147 Posts
New to MB said:
Did that hold the bike with out straps? I was basically thinking of doing something similar. My dad is a wood guru and said he would help me.
It's super simple and it worked great for the $30 is cost me. The 2x6 was about 3' long so it would take quite a turn in a SUV to get it to move. Add a couple of strips of velcro to the bottom so it grips the carpet a little.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would NEVER put my bikes on hitch.... one fender bender and your bike is a toast. Roof mount only - I use Yakima King Cobra for my DH and Yakima Cooper Head for AM or XC. When I go offroad , my bikes are in bed of my Tacoma and safe. Rob

·
Registered
81 Posts
robicycle said:
I would NEVER put my bikes on hitch.... one fender bender and your bike is a toast. Roof mount only - I use Yakima King Cobra for my DH and Yakima Cooper Head for AM or XC. When I go offroad , my bikes are in bed of my Tacoma and safe. Rob
There aren't really any other options on a jeep except hitch mounts. I'm sure some other vehicles are the same.

kntr- I like the KM2's on the jeep

·
183 BRO's before hoes.
582 Posts
Oragun said:
Here's a couple of pix of my '00 Excursion. Sierra Club might call it "Ford Valdez" but mine has been (and continues to be) a true workhorse for my family and friends. With rear, front receivers and 3x 78" Thule rack system/trays , I could carry 12 bikes and seat 8 adults (plus room for gear) in comfort. SOT kayaks, cargo box can also go on top and hitch-mounted platform holds extra stuff (marine cooler/firewood)

Towing duties include occassionally pulling my buddy's off-shore rig to the dock and pulling our troop trailer for scout campouts.

During the workweek, my XL 29er and 61c road bike are secured by hitch-it fork mounts (on a 2x4 plank) inside the truck for those lunch rides. I had to undo the roof racks to clear our office parking building.

Oh yeah, 270K+ miles and still going strong ...:thumbsup:

Cheers!
Now that is good use of a huge vehicle, unusual to see something being used as intended.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a Nissan Pathfinder, I use a receiver hitch mount Allen rack sometimes as it has a four bike capacity and has a payload of 140lbs (4-35 lb bikes), it folds effortlessly away and is strong and inexpensive. It will also fold out of the way with bikes on it (if you are strong enough to operate it) for rear cargo area access. I also have a 1 bike tray type rack that is heavy to install, but a bike is on and off in seconds, and comes in handy for quick afterwork rides.
Inside I have a road gear adjustable (bike tight type) rack that requires one to remove the front wheel and mount the fork on the fixture. Much like the 2x6 mentioned earlier, in fact I did that for a while too. The advantage of the road gear rack was that I could move the bikes around to accommodate other loads, (climbing gear, back pacs, etc.) The down side of the interior rack is that if you have a big travel front fork, roof clearance may be an issue as they tend to eat up a few inches. I was glad I had a u-turn, and now my fox talas absolutely would not go in in the 160mm position. 100mm, no problem. The last thing is my Talas has a 20mm axle so it wont work on my road gear rack. There is no way my Mojo is going on my exterior rack without serious protection (that I have yet to devise) so I hook Moto x tiedowns to my interior tiedown points/handlebars and just snug it down a tad. I can just fold one rear seat (either side or center) so far that is workin out pretty good.
I know this is long but there really are unlimited options. I have to agree with an earlier post that anytime you can keep it inside you are way ahead, it is secured behind privacy glass. You can stop for food and drink with no concerns for security, also the elements are not an issue.

·
i call it a kaiser blade
744 Posts
banged up FJ cruiser with a cracked windshield.

goes places bikes fear to go.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Chad5080 said:
There aren't really any other options on a jeep except hitch mounts. I'm sure some other vehicles are the same.

kntr- I like the KM2's on the jeep
Thanks, they are 37x12.5x17.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Roof racks are safe, but a pain if the roof is high up. The rear hitch isn't bad, but then I always need something from the rear tailgate. Either bike removal, or swing away, both inconvenient.

I've got a steel front bumper, so I welded some 2x2 to it near the winch, and attached the swing arm from my Thule rack. Works great, and frees up access to the tailgate ...

Attachments

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
i'd feel safer watching my bike the whole way.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I want to move my rack to the front. THe dust and dirt on gravel roads coming off the back is hard on the bikes.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts