Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 464 Posts

·
13 yrs old in my own mind
76 Posts
.....Mcfly!?

We are here, where were you when I posted the "no love for the RECOIL" thread? ;)

I posted pics in the thread sticky "show us your diamondback" up-top. I will re-post them here though.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rear shock makes a big difference

The rear shock makes a big difference, just to let you guys, got all my parts on ebay so just take your time and you can get crazy deals!!!!!!:thumbsup:

·
Singletrack Slayer
1,961 Posts
Cool bikes! Why don't you save your money toward a complete Sortie 2, ie.? For all the upgrades it would be cheaper in most cases. But I understand upgrade as you got the $ too;) and customize it as well!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Why don't you save your money toward a complete Sortie 2, ie.? For all the upgrades it would be cheaper in most cases. But I understand upgrade as you got the $ too;) and customize it as well!
lol no such thing as saving money in my house. Got two step-daughters and a baby on the way. Plus, I have too many other hobbies (running, lifting, surfing, working on my car), so I need to split what little money I have left over after bills between all of them.

·
76 Posts
Cool bikes! Why don't you save your money toward a complete Sortie 2, ie.? For all the upgrades it would be cheaper in most cases. But I understand upgrade as you got the $ too;) and customize it as well!
"Dave.......Dave, what are you doing Dave?" HAL

I would love to be able to buy a SoRTIe 2 or even a top end MiSSioN (Want the Hammerschmidt), but to pull back the dreaming here, the SoRTIe 2 is listed at $2200 most places?

I cannot vouch for the other RECOIL owners, however, for me the 2011 RECOIL cost me $533 shipped to my door.

The higher end parts, some of them I had just put on my hard-tail three months ago, and some like the FOX shock I was lucky to snag the deal. I have a little over $700+ in upgraded parts in the RECOIL. (90% of them new within the last four months and just transferred to my new bike from my old.)

So $533 + $700+ is only $1233+, a little over half the price of a SoRTIe 2. :thumbsup:

·
76 Posts
The rear shock makes a big difference, just to let you guys, got all my parts on ebay so just take your time and you can get crazy deals!!!!!!:thumbsup:
That is where I got the shock is off of ebay. Killer deal too......................

Made a HUGE difference over the cheap cheap Tough Shock thingy..............

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well for me guys........

Well for me guys, at the time summer of 2009 I just had to get back into MTBing, @ the time I did not have $2000 for a FS bike, wife & 3 kids, & I don’t think I will like a hardtail, so the Recoil was about $575, I did like the color & the looks, then after a full summer of using the bike, I took my time all winter looking for good deals on eBay, like my Fox RP2 NEW for $80!!!!
My Fox Talas 32 for $350 NEW!!!! Race Face Crank for $125 NEW!!!!! & some other good parts for good prices, I think I have $1400 into the bike, but the difference is I did not put $1400 all in one shot, so it’s not so hard on the wallet so I think I did well.

P.S My LBS thinks im crazy, the guy that the fork alon is better then the frame:D but they still like me:D

·
Registered
92 Posts
I got my RP2 off of ebay also. It was used, I think I paid like $60. The Rock Shox Tora I got off ebay also. Not sure what model it is, but it looks like a 2009 and it's supposedly new (we'll see when the FedEx guy delivers it today). It was $123 shipped.

·
Singletrack Slayer
1,961 Posts
"Dave.......Dave, what are you doing Dave?" HAL

I would love to be able to buy a SoRTIe 2 or even a top end MiSSioN (Want the Hammerschmidt), but to pull back the dreaming here, the SoRTIe 2 is listed at $2200 most places?

I cannot vouch for the other RECOIL owners, however, for me the 2011 RECOIL cost me $533 shipped to my door.

The higher end parts, some of them I had just put on my hard-tail three months ago, and some like the FOX shock I was lucky to snag the deal. I have a little over $700+ in upgraded parts in the RECOIL. (90% of them new within the last four months and just transferred to my new bike from my old.)

So $533 + $700+ is only $1233+, a little over half the price of a SoRTIe 2. :thumbsup:
Well I have seen the Sortie on closeout or just a good sale like the 2 for 1500 and the 3 for 2000. Right now there is a 25% off clearance @ my work so the Sortie 1 2010 is @1000! and the M2 instock is 3400 on 1 week special for 2k! got 2 look for the deals. It is not just the suspension, drivetrains and better frames IMO too. But to each there own! I got bills and cars to fix too lol! Its all good, to each there own! ;)

·
76 Posts
Well I have seen the Sortie on closeout or just a good sale like the 2 for 1500 and the 3 for 2000. Right now there is a 25% off clearance @ my work so the Sortie 1 2010 is @1000! and the M2 instock is 3400 on 1 week special for 2k! got 2 look for the deals. It is not just the suspension, drivetrains and better frames IMO too. But to each there own! I got bills and cars to fix too lol! Its all good, to each there own! ;)
Well, that is a good deal? I am is a broke arse cracker though....................

How about this, I will trade you my Recoil for your Mission? :thumbsup:

There was a theme in my post as the other guys mentioned, I did not plop it all down at once and was a bargain hunter for most of the components.

........besides, I love to build things and make them my own: my Jeep, my bike, my house, my computer, my wife..........."sKuLLy made this".............. :D

I have all the tools, and I know every millimeter of my bike, that to me is as much fun as riding itself.

Diamondback should sell just the frame sets as other makers do. In my world I would probably just strip a new bike down and make it my own any-who. So for obsessive compulsive features like I have I could buy a Mission frame and build my own..........

·
Singletrack Slayer
1,961 Posts
Well, that is a good deal? I am is a broke arse cracker though....................

How about this, I will trade you my Recoil for your Mission? :thumbsup:

There was a theme in my post as the other guys mentioned, I did not plop it all down at once and was a bargain hunter for most of the components.

........besides, I love to build things and make them my own: my Jeep, my bike, my house, my computer, my wife..........."sKuLLy made this".............. :D

I have all the tools, and I know every millimeter of my bike, that to me is as much fun as riding itself.

Diamondback should sell just the frame sets as other makers do. In my world I would probably just strip a new bike down and make it my own any-who. So for obsessive compulsive features like I have I could buy a Mission frame and build my own..........
This is all true, but usually you'll get a much better deal on a complete bike they way u want it then piece by piece,

DB has said they are going to sell frames soon!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Goodbye POS Suntour fork.... The Tora feels about 1/2-1 lb. lighter, but haven't had a chance to test it out yet, though. Didn't want to tire my legs out for the 5k I'm running tomorrow.

Attachments

·
76 Posts
Here's mine, with a few upgrades.
NICE! :thumbsup:

What is with the theme of the TORA fork? Is seems like everyone with a RECOIL upgrades with that fork (except for Ariel). :confused:

......I am going to go buy a Marzocchi now................juz 2 be different. :skep:

·
76 Posts
Goodbye POS Suntour fork.... The Tora feels about 1/2-1 lb. lighter, but haven't had a chance to test it out yet, though. Didn't want to tire my legs out for the 5k I'm running tomorrow.
???????? I believe the TORA is actually heavier?

1 - 20 of 464 Posts