Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have a build from their past that they'd like to forget? Something outdated or just a nightmare to make?

Here's something I don't want to admit. 1996. I may have started the chopper craze. All the hispanic kids in the neighborhood were having fun with their lowriders, and I wanted to build something for myself. It was fun, and it rode well, but everywhere I went on it, tough-guys wanted to fight. Eventually, riding it wasn't so much fun anymore. Adios, chopper.

(Sorry about the pic. it's a scan of a print of a slide that I put on the scanner.)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Oh yeah. I built my wife a single speed. I think that everything went wrong that could have. The only thing that really turned out well were the fork and the light head tube.

* ST to BB welding turned to total crap. Thin, complex.
* OX Plat seat tube destroyed 3 reamers before I had to cut the end off and weld and extention. That, of course, came out crooked. I will never weld an OX plat seat tube again.
* S-bending OX plat chainstays. Fu#k! Crumpled 3 stays before figured out the trick.
* Burned about 4 hose braze ons while still getting the hang of brazing again.
* Powder coat came out messed up. An orange peal finish. WTF!

In the end I'm happy that I went through all this. I learned tons. I just never want to go through it again. Everything since has been thousands of times better.

·
Registered
996 Posts
gabe said:
I've got a couple..............one is my "Suicycle", a three wheeler that steers from the back...very dangerous at anything over 15mph and my "24/20", rides good but is butt ugly.:p
man, gabe.......your kids are gonna have some SWEET toys. better stock up on bandages...........steve.

·
Registered
996 Posts
pvd said:
Oh yeah. I built my wife a single speed. I think that everything went wrong that could have. The only thing that really turned out well were the fork and the light head tube.

* OX Plat seat tube destroyed 3 reamers before I had to cut the end off and weld and extention. That, of course, came out crooked. I will never weld an OX plat seat tube again.
* S-bending OX plat chainstays. Fu#k! Crumpled 3 stays before figured out the trick.

In the end I'm happy that I went through all this. I learned tons. I just never want to go through it again. Everything since has been thousands of times better.

wow, that sounds like a total sucktathalon! i dont even know why they make ox plat/853 st's or ht's, really. those mega-hard alloy cs's are a total ***** to cold-set, too! steve.

·
Registered
778 Posts
pvd said:

Sounds like a heck of a lot of pain and agony went into that... it looks beautiful though. Not sure how that was ever supposed to be an orange peel finish... yikes!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Looks a bit too raked eh?:eek:
Lon had a bad batch of 29er u-crown blades where the butting didn't extend far enough. Weird feeling, it felt like the bike kept getting more and more relaxed over the 2 seasons i rode it....:confused: Then the kinks in the tube started to show this fall.
Never did fail.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Treybiker said:
I almost didn't notice the fork rake after looking at the chain, bottle cage, and handlebars (may be the pic, but they look off). Put it all together and it looks normal. :p
Whats your point dude? So i run the chain a bit loose, easier on the drive train man. The "bent" cage is to ease the extraction of the hydration unit. Form follows function:p
I dunno, i could get used to that chopper style, easy rider thing y'know???
Pete; 190mm? Say WHAT??:eek: JUST a 130, and yes its Dynasty DX. Its a sweet machine. I do prefer the starts from a Syncrowave, but as far as pulse control goes, no comparison:thumbsup:
In AC, the fact that you can crank up the Hertz allows this 200 to perform well past its 200 Amp output. I was going to upgrade to a Syncro 250 but bought this instead on recomendation from other TIG builders and its a great machine. I'll probably pick up a Dynasty 300 as i want to build a jetboat, but that can wait.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.