Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So I read this yahoo article separate from this forum and thought about bikes and anything else that is put on boat. I’m assuming these containers have tracking mechanisms on them to identify when and what has been lost but something that has me truly
Puzzled:

How do companies continue to with faith put their goods on a boat who’s operators have this “send it” attitude when it comes to the seas. Our weather satellite tracking over the recent hears has had to have progressed to the point where ships aren’t getting caught in the perfect Effin storm.
And yet, entire ships go missing sometimes. Presumably from rogue waves.

·
Magically Delicious
9,853 Posts
Oh, so my bi
ocean shipping is OUTRAGEOUSLY cheap compared with air. also, the stuff is presumably insured, so not that much risk. finally, the production cost in Asia is so cheap that they can tolerate occasional losses.
Risk Scenario: Okay, my bike was on the container that sunk. No problem for US distributor, he will get reimbursed or have his order placed in queue and will be notified some time early next year of delivery expectation. Not much risk there, so yeah, that works for me.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
They need to make the containers totally sealed and pressurized, they go over, they just float. :)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
That would be great. You could take your trawler out and load up on flat-screen TVs.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
They need to make the containers totally sealed and pressurized, they go over, they just float. :)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Smart containers that pilot themselves from port to port in dedicated shipping lanes.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
since 4/10/2009
31,441 Posts
Smart containers that pilot themselves from port to port in dedicated shipping lanes.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
I don't think that's something that's very far off into the future.

Might be the extra slow boat, but they could be solar powered and therefore it would be stupid cheap to ship goods.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ocean shipping is OUTRAGEOUSLY cheap compared with air. also, the stuff is presumably insured, so not that much risk. finally, the production cost in Asia is so cheap that they can tolerate occasional losses.
How much was the freight bill on the last container you brought in?
Just curious as to if, you have ever actually imported before?

·
Magically Delicious
9,853 Posts
I don't think that's something that's very far off into the future.

Autonomous shipping has been a topic in shipping circles for a few years. There have been several detailed studies of Autonomous freight ships that could travel in long convoys for draft efficiencies that look promising for big box shippers.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,441 Posts
Autonomous shipping has been a topic in shipping circles for a few years. There have been several detailed studies of Autonomous freight ships that could travel in long convoys for draft efficiencies that look promising for big box shippers.
I didn't know about this specifically, but given where we are regarding autonomous (and semi-autonomous) vehicles already, I know the tech exists. All it's going to take is for someone to put it together into the right package to make it really interesting.

·
Registered
31 Posts
many years ago, in the early 90's i was living in alaska an had to tell a customer her rocker was not going to show when it should. The container came off of the boat. She understood and asked me to reorder it.

The cans don't completely sink, they have enough air, that they are just under the surface. This particular container, was shot and sunk by the coast quard.

·
Registered
692 Posts
many years ago, in the early 90's i was living in alaska an had to tell a customer her rocker was not going to show when it should. The container came off of the boat. She understood and asked me to reorder it.

The cans don't completely sink, they have enough air, that they are just under the surface. This particular container, was shot and sunk by the coast quard.
Not worth it for anyone to haul out?

·
Registered
40 Posts
So the whole “it’s insured”thing makes sense as the easy resolve for the manufacturer but as we approach issues like resource scarcity (steel for example) the idea of total loss is a creeping issue. having some very low level experience negotiating goods that were sent by boat (hockey sticks snd sanitizer dispensers) I can say that there didnt seem to be much transparency once a container is on a boat.

Further, the first point customer in the whole by sea
Shipping remains the manufacturer... they are insured and will not incur too much net loss but downstream the bike shop and the consumer relationship is negatively impacted when Johnny is upset his 2 month wait, which got extended to 10 weeks because port doesn’t have their **** together moving container to truck, is now 20 weeks because the process started over.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,066 Posts
Water dissolving and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Under the water, carry the water
Remove the water at the bottom of the ocean
Water dissolving and water removing

21 - 40 of 44 Posts