Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Years ago when the bluetooth speaker became available, it seemed every bro with a bike was blaring tunes from their hydration pack. It really never bothered me. I even jam some tunes from my phone at a lower level especially from the climb now and then.. Just never headphones, ever.. But yesterday..

Was up in South Lake, had just cracked the Apres Ride beer and dude comes riding along with his two buddies. He had that speaker at level 99/100, and could be heard coming from a ways away. Of course the lot is packed on a Sunday afternoon, so there are kids, moms, dads, animals, me, other dudes.. Etc and as said "DJ to the parking lot" leans his bike against his rig it happened...

Some other guy walks up and just starts laying into this guy about his music and how we all don't need to hear it. Rather than saying "sure man, let me fix that for you and turn it down" "DJ" goes the complete opposite way, launches the defensive and loses it on said complainer... They argue for a minute, all on lookers intervene, it's over before it started..

I see fairness on both sides. I have to admit, it was sh*tty music, and it WAS loud.. But hey, I could have left but didn't.

·
inebriate savant
207 Posts
...I see fairness on both sides...
I don't.

The way you describe it, the guy going full tilt with the speaker was in the wrong, and then doubled down when it was pointed out. Nothing wrong with listening to music back at the car post-ride, but when there are other people around you're respectful of that. Maybe the other guy approached it less effectively than he could, but in the grand scheme of things he never should have felt the need to.

This is literally the kind of stuff people are supposed to learn in kindergarten.

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't.

Nothing wrong with listening to music back at the car post-ride, but when there are other people around you're respectful of that.
Word. Play a little jams, hang out a bit.. Respect is key. I mean, is bluetooth music faux pas? Were talking about Corral trail on a Sunday afternoon at 3pm. He was like, 1 of umpteen people playing their music..

·
orthonormal
5,261 Posts
Word. Play a little jams, hang out a bit.. Respect is key. I mean, is bluetooth music faux pas? Were talking about Corral trail on a Sunday afternoon at 3pm. He was like, 1 of umpteen people playing their music..
I'd rather not hear music on the trail. Not a huge deal unless I really hate your tunes. Then I might try to climb really fast so i'm far enough away to not hear it. Please don't be like that guy on ucon who took that as a challenge and started climbing after me.

·
F*** it
1,277 Posts
Where I grew up riding in the mountains of NC, if you yelled 'Freebird,' 50% of the guys in a crowd would turn around. Tammy would get 50% of the girls' attention.
Asheville or Boone or Mayberry? I only hiked and did trail running there back in the day (camp counselor in Tuxedo). #regrets

When I was going to school at Cal Poly SLO there was a guy living across the street from me in a small apartment building. He'd come home from work every day around 5 and instantly blast Free Bird. That lasted a few months until one day the cops came and took him away. He was no longer free as a bird.

As for the OP, making everybody else in the lot listen to your music is pretty rude--unless it's classic WHAM!, amiright?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I play my music with a speaker, and then politely turn it down when hikers or other riders are nearby.

In the parking lot, seems kinda lame to ask someone to turn down their music.

They both sound entitled and lame TBH.

·
Banned
562 Posts
I play my music with a speaker, and then politely turn it down when hikers or other riders are nearby.

In the parking lot, seems kinda lame to ask someone to turn down their music.

They both sound entitled and lame TBH.
I think most will disagree. There's no harm in asking politely.

If the person you're asking takes offense and/or goes off in an irrational way like OP describes then you kind of know what you're dealing with.

Just walk away.

Or if you're like me, kill them with kindness

Keep some little trinkets or trophies to give to these types and congratulate them in "winning" the Sunday ride. It's all about attention and recognition to some and what better way to be recognized then being the self-designated parking lot DJ

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I think most will disagree. There's no harm in asking politely.
Agreed, but it doesn't sound like they asked him politely to turn it down. Per OP, "Some other guy walks up and just starts laying into this guy about his music and how we all don't need to hear it"

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,875 Posts
I'd have ignored the douche and left him alone

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.