Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using an old Marin hardtail as a winter beater, mostly to run errands on snow covered roads, but as this bike has seen many years of XC trails, the cog set was begiining to slip.

So, its a nice frame, perhaps its worth replacing the cogset and chain and get a few more years out of it.

Picked up the bike yesterday...new cogset, chain, chainring, cranks, cables, my old wheel is now laced to a new hub, new brake pads, and it's CLEAN:eekster:

There's no way I'm riding this new bike in the snow!...$168..00 for parts, $40.00 labour

now I have to get an old beater or ride the old hybrid with 32's in the snow

How to you get your LBS to love you less?

Jeez

·
mtbr Decade+
1,545 Posts
Well...

...You have bought $20k worth of bikes from them...I'm suprised they don't give you a backrub while you wait.

That's assuming most of your bikes come from the same LBS.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
That's a great price

Very good price for all those parts and labor. I guess the question I would have is did you ask them to look the whole bike over and do whatever they thought they should do? It's not uncommon to have to replace the chainrings, chain and cassette at the same time, so I could see that. The cranks, hub and cables are another issue altogether and I wouldn't be happy with them replacing those items unless authorized to do so.

Again, in any event, I think they did you right on the price.

Bob

·
Banned
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Call_me_Clyde said:
Very good price for all those parts and labor. I guess the question I would have is did you ask them to look the whole bike over and do whatever they thought they should do? It's not uncommon to have to replace the chainrings, chain and cassette at the same time, so I could see that. The cranks, hub and cables are another issue altogether and I wouldn't be happy with them replacing those items unless authorized to do so.

Again, in any event, I think they did you right on the price.

Bob
Biggie got it right...I asked for a cog set and chain, but I'm a customer here for years so when he found the broken axle, he replaced it...replaced the chain ring which needed Shimano cranks, threw in the brakes & cables as a tune up, and washed off 5 years of snow and mud

in the last couple of years I've bought an Opus flat bar roadie, Trek 7500fx, 7.5fx, 7300, and a Liquid, and he built my wife's Blur, and he looks after all of my bikes at the cottage

Only left the POC fork, which if it ever worked, it'd be a shock

Great price, great service...but now I'm out a beater

·
bang
1,290 Posts
JM01 said:
There's no way I'm riding this new bike in the snow!
i ride a specialized epic year-round, which includes rain and snow :cool:

it's still your beater, but now it's just in good working condition. there's nothing wrong with that, especially if you're going to be using it in poor weather conditions!

·
Banned
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cyco-Dude said:
i ride a specialized epic year-round, which includes rain and snow :cool:

it's still your beater, but now it's just in good working condition. there's nothing wrong with that, especially if you're going to be using it in poor weather conditions!
My Toronto Winterbike after the commute this morning...the Marin at the cottage looked just as bad...now its a new bike

But at least it lets me keep the Id in the garage until spring :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
mtbr Decade+
1,545 Posts
Holy Smokes JM01!

It was -32C this am, with windchill, perhaps you should have your head checked, not your winter beater! I'm very impressed.

Take care,
Ed

·
Banned
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Biggie said:
It was -32C this am, with windchill, perhaps you should have your head checked, not your winter beater! I'm very impressed.

Take care,
Ed
nononono

the 32c is on a Trek 730 Multitrac at the cottage...this blue beater is a dept store bike that caused all the fun last week:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=266104

·
Banned
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Biggie said:

Take care,
Ed
OOPS...mistook the temp for a tire size:rolleyes:

Yep...-17C, I'm not sure that the wind chill matters, because you always get that on a bike...but did 30km this AM, started at 7:00 AM to run some errands...heading home in snow in 5 minutes...enjoy the night

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.