Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was dealt a bit of a bad hand last week upon my return to work. Long story short, I am moving back into the office from being out on the road in sales. Got the shaft if I don't say so, but I can't change it so I might as well begin planning how I am going to train in the summer.

I have a roadie as of this fall, and would like to get on the bike at least 8 hours/week. That is a couple of hours more than in 06' and should help me achieve the results I am looking for. I am just curious if any of you have tried riding on your lunch break. I have an hour, which may be workable. I am just trying to decide if I want to slide out on the bike for 45 minutes at lunch and try to cramp the ready/clean up time in too. I know it comes down to how much you want it, but I thought I would get my fellow racers thoughts. Thanks.

Neil:confused:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've been squeezing in a ride on my 1 hour lunch break whenever possible for the last 4 years. I'm fortunate that there is a good trail system within 5 minutes of the office. When it's too wet out I just ride from the parking lot for 45 minutes. I manage to clean up pretty well afterwards although I won't ride when it's 90 degrees out AND I have an afternoon meeting.:eek: Is it the ultimate workout? No, but it has worked out very well for me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Any chance at all of commuting to work on your bike?
Or taking a bit more then an hour for lunch and staying a little later?
I ask because I think trying to cram a ride and clean up (and lunch) all into an hour sounds like a real pain. Still better then nothing ;)

G

·
Riding at lunch is the most brutal part of the day. While I'm not a hardcore racer, I ride my bike to work early in the AM and take the scenic route home to cram in a few extra miles.

Good luck,
bm

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Start a lunch time race!!!

The most successful master's road team in Utah (Autoliv Air Bags) uses lunchtime rides for training. They have a locker room on the plant and meet in the parking lot at 11:15, Tuesdays and Thursday. Once they warm up, it is a full-out, thighburning, lactic acid inducing ride at race pace (and beyond) with lots of attacks and sprints. They even have a half mile, 10-12% climb in it just for extra suffering.

They have two road routes that they use and if you get dropped, you can hook up with the group as they come back or jump in with the B group (they have an A and B group). They usually get from 15-40 riders and even get surrounding companies to join in. It's pretty popular here in Ogden.

They also have a lunch time race at Hill Air Force base, only that they get to charge it to the clock!! The government is encouraging its civil employees to use 3 hours a week for workouts in an effort to reduce health care cost. The only rule is that they have to stay on Air Force grounds.

I had it going at the company I work at but they work us to death and schedule too many meetings around lunch to have regular participation.

Ponch

·
On your left.
1,188 Posts
intervals

If you want to get faster you must do intervals and those can be fit into a 45min ride. Assume 10 min warmup, 6X 3 min climb + 6X 2 min descent, 5 min cooldown. Total = 45 min. Do this 1X or 2X per week and in 3 months time you will be smokin' fast.

mtbmeister said:
Well, I was dealt a bit of a bad hand last week upon my return to work. Long story short, I am moving back into the office from being out on the road in sales. Got the shaft if I don't say so, but I can't change it so I might as well begin planning how I am going to train in the summer.

I have a roadie as of this fall, and would like to get on the bike at least 8 hours/week. That is a couple of hours more than in 06' and should help me achieve the results I am looking for. I am just curious if any of you have tried riding on your lunch break. I have an hour, which may be workable. I am just trying to decide if I want to slide out on the bike for 45 minutes at lunch and try to cramp the ready/clean up time in too. I know it comes down to how much you want it, but I thought I would get my fellow racers thoughts. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know what you mean. Some good suggestions here. Just have to consider that I will stink like B.O. afterwards and have to find a means to clean up. Also, I don't much care for riding in traffic and there would be a reasonable amount of it around my office. I may have to suck it up or not do it...

Motivated said:
If you want to get faster you must do intervals and those can be fit into a 45min ride. Assume 10 min warmup, 6X 3 min climb + 6X 2 min descent, 5 min cooldown. Total = 45 min. Do this 1X or 2X per week and in 3 months time you will be smokin' fast.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Personally it works a whole lot better to get a ride in early in the morning before work. That way I can ride for at least an hour and only have to take one shower - and I can get my day started off right.

This obviously is tough if you have to be at an office at 8:00. I work from home a lot and depending on the day might not have to start work until 9:00 or so.

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
mtbmeister said:

i used to do a 45 minute lunch ride a couple times/week. i'd get in about 12 miles with some good hills and then i'd hit the showers and be back at my desk. it usually took me closer to 75-90 minutes to do the ride and then get cleaned up but if you can clean up faster than me or you don't feel the need to be clean then you could certainly get back to your desk more quickly.

i thought it was a pretty good way to get a ride in. then i discovered commuting and now i can get 1.5 hrs of riding in and not have to give up my lunch break. :)

rt

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
mtbmeister said:
I know what you mean. Some good suggestions here. Just have to consider that I will stink like B.O. afterwards and have to find a means to clean up. Also, I don't much care for riding in traffic and there would be a reasonable amount of it around my office. I may have to suck it up or not do it...
baby wipes are great for a quicky clean up so you don't smell so bad.....that and an extra layer of deodorant.

:D

rt

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Another vote for commuting. I threw out that lunch time race idea but it rarely works well at the company I work at.

What works better is getting a group to ride home together. Most of us stash our bikes in our car pools or van pools and ride the 45 miles home at the end of the day.

That works real well and no need to mess up the work day or lunch. BTW, there are a few nutjobs at my job that have ridden the out and back (90 miles).

·
On your left.
1,188 Posts
commuting - Craig Gordon

If I heard the interview with Craig Gordon correctly I think he commutes about 60-70 miles each way to work. I can't believe the world 24hr solo champion has a full time job and trains to that level. I work 40 miles from home and have done the double a few times. The worst part by far (for me) is leaving the house at 5:30am, that just sucks. I suppose if I were single and without kids I could shift my hours later and that would make it more doable. Anyway, there is no doubt in my mind Craig Gordon should be the cycler of the year.

Poncharelli said:
Another vote for commuting. I threw out that lunch time race idea but it rarely works well at the company I work at.

What works better is getting a group to ride home together. Most of us stash our bikes in our car pools or van pools and ride the 45 miles home at the end of the day.

That works real well and no need to mess up the work day or lunch. BTW, there are a few nutjobs at my job that have ridden the out and back (90 miles).

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Commute is helpful for me but my lunch ride is often where I do my speed work. I am lucky to have a trail 10 minutes from my house and an understanding enough work place that if I go a bit over an hour they don't mind. Lunch rides are definitely worthwhile to me!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Personally I'd love to have a lunch time long enough to do a ride once or twice a week. I've thought about the idea a number of times, but it just doesnt seem like enough. :confused:

Personally I ride too and from work 3 days week, usually putting in the big miles in the morning on Tuesday and Thursdays with shorter rides on Wednesdays, and then an easy zone one spin home unless interval work is schduled for the day in which case I'll do two sessions. Usually I average between 60kms to 90kms to work, and about 20kms home. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
53 Posts
We have flex lunch hours where I work. Base lunch hours are 11:30 to 1:30. So I swing by the apartment, ride an hour and 15 minutes, shower and back to work by 1:30. It's supposed to be 1/2 or 1 hour lunch so I work a little late on those days to make up the time. I do this in December and January. By February, I take a half hour lunch and get on the road by 4:30 until 6:00. Maybe ask your boss if this is OK with him/her. It's a great way to stay on the bike year-round.

BTW, is the Jeff_Scott who repied earlier the one who raced SERC series last year? If so, are you going to do it again this year? If so, I'll see you there (though I might miss Reddick this time).

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
1,138 Posts
I live near Raleigh NC and presently work for a company on the NCSU satellite Centennial Campus... the campus is huge (1000 acres) and used to be full of trails, but due to construction is down to about 100-150 ridable acres (these are "unlisted, renegade trails" by the way). There are probably 10-15 miles of trails in that small space, but I digress. Anyway, I leave my desk at 11:45am with a gym bag, change in the bathroom, walk to the parking deck to grab my bike, and am at the trailhead by 12noon easily... I usually ride 45 minutes, then reverse the process and only use a fresh layer of deodorant... I don't sweat much, so I can get away with that. When it gets hot in the summertime I don't do lunch rides once the temp gets above about 85 deg F... then I just wait until after work when it's still light anyway. So I am usually back at my desk by 1:05pm, sometimes earlier, sometimes later. There is a shower in the men's room, but you can't count on it being available when you need it, so I don't bother with it.

Unfortunately, the Centennial Campus is being developed rapidly and a golf course is supposedly going to be started this spring which will wipe out a huge part of the remaining trails... if they can get the funding.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wish I had that flexibility

I wish I could do this. However, the "corporate" mandates and policies here would be scrutinized if I was allowed to do that. The rules would have to be bent for everyone. Perhaps this is why I am contemplating looking for work elsewhere. I was on the road before with a lot of autonomy in my sched, so it was easy to cram a couple of rides a week in during the day. Not any more...Thanks for the suggestion though.

Neil

fastitus said:
We have flex lunch hours where I work. Base lunch hours are 11:30 to 1:30. So I swing by the apartment, ride an hour and 15 minutes, shower and back to work by 1:30. It's supposed to be 1/2 or 1 hour lunch so I work a little late on those days to make up the time. I do this in December and January. By February, I take a half hour lunch and get on the road by 4:30 until 6:00. Maybe ask your boss if this is OK with him/her. It's a great way to stay on the bike year-round.

BTW, is the Jeff_Scott who repied earlier the one who raced SERC series last year? If so, are you going to do it again this year? If so, I'll see you there (though I might miss Reddick this time).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.