Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to pipe water in from the river is apprx 100 yards from our dig spot. It will need to go up a 12 ft high bank then across level ground then finally down about 10 ft into the ravine. I have been toying with some ideas but want to see what ya'll have done. Planning on using pipe to cover most of the flat ground and keep it capped off when not in use. Want to use garden hose to drop down into the river with a cage type filter on it. On the DJ side I plan on another length of garden hose to hook to some form of hand/pedal (no battery/electrical) operated pump system.

·
The Beaver
1,153 Posts
What I would do is build a platform about 4-5 feet above the bank by the creek and set either and old bath tub or water barrel on it. I would run a hose (or pipe) from the water container to the jumps (should have about 6-7 ft of elevation change and should give you a little pressure). and I would fill the container with water by using buckets. This will be the cheapest method and probably the easiest to operate, because it can be done by one person. if you are using a pump you will need one person pumping and the other hosing.

Just my .02

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
spazzy said:
the magazine dirt rag did a little article a few years ago about someone retro-fitting an old school water pump and a bike frame together so you would just pedal and water would come up...
thats what I'm looking for. we already have several barrels so we just want to fill them easier

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
joelalamo45 said:
Hey Jim. I hit up zboaz and rode with Nick and a couple of other young dudes. That new line through the tree was so much fun.
I was out there most of this past weekend, good times was definitely had. Added two quality DJs to the new lines this weekend because we had ten diggers. We are counting on at least one new jump per week. We are really taking our time with these new lines. The lips are all 4 ft wide at the top and at least a foot thick at the top as well. The landers are 6 ft wide at the top and a foot thick. We test each new addition to ensure it is going to work perfect and that speed is not sacrificed anywhere. We are making sure to pack the entire jump all the way around and watering like crazy. 100 years from now these jumps will still be standing, we hope....

the big stuff

there is another jump added to the left line and two more added to the right line. I forgot my camera so I'll get some updated pics later this week when the weather clears up

·
Sinister Bandwagon
301 Posts
at our jumps we just leave a wheel barrow out when it rains to fill up, and there is a stream down a 20ft hill that we dammed up so we have a nice pool and we just haul water in buckets and bring them to the spot the needs watering and then use a water can and hose down the jumps.

If we had the funds, the privecy and the were in the middle of no where we would prolly get a pump and chain it to a tree and leave it there, but since there is golf coarse inches from the stream they won't like the noise and the park near us won't like it either plus we have stupid hoodlems that mess up are jumps and steal are shovels

·
Registered
503 Posts
That's what I thought Will.
Just run hose the whole length, place one in the water, the other on the other side and start sucking on the hose until the water starts to flow.

Yeah, I know...

·
Registered
53 Posts
We us a Honda WX15AX2 water pump with 300' of hose. The pump was more expensive than other models, but it's a Honda so it should run forever and it's very small and light compared to some of the others we looked at. It's not a big deal to carrying it back and forth (you wouldn't need to leave it chained up outside).

We wanted to dig a trench and lay some pvc pipe to save time rolling and un-rolling the hoses, but our park district wouldn't let us dig the trench.

We talked about doing all kinds of crazy bike mods to pump water and haul it. One idea tha might actually work was to mount a barrel on the back of a three wheeler / tricycle. One gear would operate a pump that would fill the barrel, then you could drop it into the next gear and ride the water over to where you wanted it. While this sounded like a fun project, it would have been way to much work to get water. We figured hauling buckets would be much easier than pedaling a manual pump.

Even hauling out the pump and hoses and setting them up gets to be a pain unless you plan on watering everything. Most times we just use buckets if there's only one or two of us.

We are now thinking about having a water tower or very large barrel for holding water that is closer to our jumps. Use the pump to fill up the water tower once a month and then use water from the tower (either with buckets or hoses) when there are only a few workers to save time and bucket trips.

·
Registered
53 Posts
P.S. We use 2" inlet hose for the lake side, and the use a "y" adapter and reducers to get 2" down to garden hose. The "Y" adapter on the outlet has one line going back to the lake, and one going to the jumps. We keep a trickle of water going back to the lake so that even if you stop water from flowing to the jumps (kink the hose or whatever) water continues to flow through the pump so it won't burn up. This way we can leave the pump running without having someone babysit it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
A friend and I were building some secret jumps about 3/4 miles from my house, and decided to haul in water rather than wait for rain.... 10 gallon jugs broke our spirits quick =[ so we left a trash can in the forest for when it rains. Now we only work out there when its wet because the dirt gets rock hard and is near impossible to dig when its dry.

God hates us, it hasn't rained since christmas =[

·
Registered
253 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
If you have a hose... as long as the outlet is lower than the inlet, water should flow through it. You may need to do some pumping initially to fill the hose.
Dude, think about it.... It is very rare that a creek will be at a higher elevation than the spot where the jumps are. Water percolates/flows to low points on the earth. Therefore, creeks and rivers will be lower than the banks. The only common exception I can think of is a creek of snowmelt water going down a mountain and you divert it in a different direction down the mountain--then the creek water could be at a higher elevation than your jumps.

The idea of running pipes/hoses from water at a higher elevation is the idea behind water towers. Every small town has them.

A siphon will not bring water up hill unless the end point of the tube is at a lower elevation than the creek (the other side of the hill)"

A siphon (also spelled syphon) is a continuous tube that allows liquid to drain from a reservoir through an intermediate point that is higher, or lower, than the reservoir, the flow being driven only by the difference in hydrostatic pressure without any need for pumping. It is necessary that the final end of the tube be lower than the liquid surface in the reservoir.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks guys, but what I was hoping for was some plans for building something like a stationary bicycle operated pump system. I've heard mention of one but would like to get info on where to buy a suitable manual pump that I could then adapt to one of my many bikes that are laying around.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Just one more cheaper (depending on the length needed) option... get enough hose so that you can stick it in the stream at a point uphill of your jumps (highly dependent on geography and topography.)

DRS

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.