Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you tried your ideal bike, only to learn that you had to "lower your expectations" due to budget? What was that ideal bike, and what did you got in place that now you can do without?

My ideal bike is the Santa Cruz Blur with XT components and talas suspension, and instead will be getting a Trek Fuel EX 8, unless I win the lotto, which would be very lucky for I didn't purchased a ticket..

Share!!! :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
Your ideal bike is always going to be one you hand-picked every component yourself, and built. Two years ago, I started this sport and quickly got hooked. I rode a ton of bikes and realized my ideal, dream bike is NOT an LBS purchase already assembled.

I too, lusted after the SC Blur XC.....until I realized it was financially out of reach. So what did I do? I went with second best- a 2005 Cannondale F2000SL Optimo hardtail. I found out my Cannondale(after I built it) is way better than that Santa Cruz, after all. Not only does my Cdale weigh almost four pounds lighter- but it climbs like a rocket......compared to the SC Blur, and shreds singletrack much better than the Blur just because it feels like it weighs nothing.

Here are my build specs:
2005 Cannondale F2000SL Optimo HT
Suspension: Ultra Fatty DLR 80mm
Bars: Ritchey WCS Carbon flat 580mm
Wheelset: Mavic XC717 Disc/DT Swiss 240s
Shifters: SRAM X.0 twisters
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.0 long cage
Crankset: Shimano XTR M960
Pedals: Crank Bros. Candy 4ti
Chain: Avid PC991 Hollowpin
Saddle: Specialized Phenom SL
Seatpost: Thomson Elite
Cassette: Shimano Dura Ace 11-25
Tires: Kenda Klimax Lite 345G

Basically, I built myself(w/ no prior experience) a 19-lb XC race bike, for under $1000. It took almost six months to do- but I was patient, and the results exceeded all my expectations. Thanks to eBay, Craigslist, the internet, and buying everything slightly used- I built my own dream bike......and did not know it, until I finally rode it. Do I still want that SC Blur now? Nope.....and what a relief, too.

Your ideal bike will alwyas be one only you can be proud of building. It will fit you like a glove, and just won't feel right to anyone else......but to you!!!!

·
Texan
1,345 Posts
I agree. A dream bike can't be bought, it has to be built and you have to build it yourself. My dream bike is a Titus Racer X with a Reba Race fork, King headset, I9 wheels, XTR BB/Crank and cassett, XO dr,s and shifters, Magura stoppers, Thomson seat post and stem, Easton Monkeylite XC bars and titanium bolts everywhere! :thumbsup:

I better start working more overtime. :madman:

For right now its a KHS rigid. lol

·
I AM I AM
2,222 Posts
I agree with the replies so far. For me Ideal meets Reality, yes ideally I'd probably be on some 5k dually that can do everything and probably do it without me, realistically I settled on an ideal bike that is less than half that price and capable to do all the riding I want to and more.

Of course I purchased this bike and then significantly modified it with parts to make it much more to my liking. So yeah, my ideal bike is different to a dream bike, it takes reality into perspective, it's customized to my liking and riding style and as a result I think it's great. Until of course my ideas change :D

In saying all that, when I brought the Trance I had it was the ideal bike pretty much. If budget had allowed I probably would have got the next model up (which at the time would have been probably one down from top of the range). If I had done that I possibly would have saved a lot of $$ in subsequent upgrades I made. But then again it may have not because the upgrades were at the same time done to make the bike more comfortable & suitable to me (bars, stem, saddle, seat post).

Ultimately like others have said, most satisfaction is gained from fully building or just customizing a bike, compared to buying one that straight up is perfect. I mean when you can't get out and ride who doesn't at times sit there looking at their bike and wondering how they could improve it or what they can change that budget would allow?

In the end be realistic and be happy with the bike you've got. Red hubs with a bold printed brand name on them will make you happy for a little while, but when you're out on the trail riding and enjoying the bike in it's element, then I doubt you'd be thinking much about any individual parts or names they have printed on there. If you are thinking about your bike that much whilst riding then you need to find some better trails! Or go SS, do something to put the challenge & fun back into it.

·
Killer of Chains
1,800 Posts
Current bike - Prophet 600 (size Medium) (lower end), Lefty Max, stock wheels, upgrades brake blah blah blah. Love it.

Ideal bike - Prophet 600 (size Large) in Raw color.

Really. I love my bike that much, but its too small for me. It bums me out.

I was actually thinking of buy Zachariah's old hardtail frame, simply because I'm noticing my frame-size problems more and more.

·
I am a pathetic rider...
644 Posts
My ideal bike is a custom DJ steel hardtail. It would be basically a large wheeled BMX bike, slammed seat tube, MTB headset, American BB cranks, and Horizontal Dropouts. It would have TAG FRX5 wheels (think retro Mag) and Kenda SB8's in there biggest size. The frame would be a matte black powder coat with white components. Funn Stem, Diety Bars, White Cables etc. And some Magura Gustav M breaks. Rockshox Argyle fork. I currently ride a spesh p.1 tho.

·
Singletrack Snob
263 Posts
My ideal bike was a 2008 Fisher Paragon. List price around $1800+

What I'm riding is a 2006 Fisher X-Cal. Bought for half of my ideal bike price. Good enough to let me know that I like the big wheels. I can put up with the old geometry for a while, but would like a lighter wheelset.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My Dew is perfect for screwing around town and commuting, but a custom Seven Sola maybe a 29er, macked out with SRAM X.O, a Fox fork, maybe some Chris King, Hope, and some race face components for flavor. I played around on a Sola a few years ago, damn nice bike.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
riding a chameleon now.. great bike, but its super stiff (that has its pluses and minuses) and beating up my knees.

i want a 25lbs 130mm fs trailbike that doesnt bob, with 2.3's and can basically be ridden off a roof to flat without flinching ;) probably not going to happen.. id be happy with a blur lt or mojo or a trance x though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.