Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Riding free's the mind
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a longer ride than usual yesterday, my legs and lungs were fine, just my "behind" was killing me towards the end of the climb, 1.5 hours. I usually refrain from pedalling out of the saddle on steep climbs, but the relief from sitting made up for the strain in my legs.

My current saddle - WTB RocketVLaser - which is one of the best seats I've had, but wondering if anyone has found one with better comfort for longer distances? I'm considering a San Marco or Fiizik, any recommendations on your ends (no pun intended)?

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Fizik Nisene & Plateu also SDG's

Saddle comfort is directly related to "shape" of saddle. Your butt is gonna fit certain styles of seats. The two brands, Fizik & SDG, are like they're built for "my butt", comfortable from the 1st ride. No break in for butt or saddle. My .02, (adjusted for inflation). :D
Your butt will adjust, for the right saddle, & yer rump will be fine, you gotta stick w/it & sooner or later you'll be able to rid'a brick. Lot'sa miles between now & then. :D

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
man w/ one hand said:
Saddle comfort is directly related to "shape" of saddle. Your butt is gonna fit certain styles of seats. The two brands, Fizik & SDG, are like they're built for "my butt", comfortable from the 1st ride. No break in for butt or saddle. My .02, (adjusted for inflation). :D
Your butt will adjust, for the right saddle, & yer rump will be fine, you gotta stick w/it & sooner or later you'll be able to rid'a brick. Lot'sa miles between now & then. :D
The Selle' Flight Ti has been my saddle for 10 years.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I third the Flite Ti

but try adjust your current saddle's angle, fore and aft positions before plunking some money on a saddle that you may not like.

When I don't ride much, my arse gets out of shape and that comfy saddle doesn't become comfy anymore.

Getting off the saddle once in a while helps. Good chamois helps too.

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
Bonty FS 2000...

HTail said:
Did a longer ride than usual yesterday, my legs and lungs were fine, just my "behind" was killing me towards the end of the climb, 1.5 hours. I usually refrain from pedalling out of the saddle on steep climbs, but the relief from sitting made up for the strain in my legs.

My current saddle - WTB RocketVLaser - which is one of the best seats I've had, but wondering if anyone has found one with better comfort for longer distances? I'm considering a San Marco or Fiizik, any recommendations on your ends (no pun intended)?
Fits me perfect and at 30 or 35 bucks at Pricepoint won't break the bank and you won't get mad when you wreck and break one. I have them on both my MTB and roadie bikes.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
Whilst it just does not look comfortable, I cant seem to like anything by my Selle Italia SLR. Its non anatomic and happens to suit my not so fat bum. It has a flat profile which works for me, where as I find my Flite Ti to be just to shaped and find it a PITA after not so long of riding, be it on the trail or MTB.

·
kneecap
1,642 Posts
Try the Lazer "V". Work's better for my skinny rear. Slightly more padding, a little wider @ the rear, & doesn't have that annoying rocker in it that forces you to sit in the middle of the seat.

·
Registered
524 Posts
DH/FR - Love seat/hotseat......gives me some more room to lean back without hitting my tire on a drop, and gives me more control on a downhill with the wide width.
XC/trail - SDG/wtb w/love channel.....I cant ride on the others that long without hurting, these are just comfy, but not too big.

·
The Weatherman
304 Posts
I have had good results with the Terry Fly. Very comfortable.

I just bought a new one because the rails had started to warp, but I figure for a heavier rider (200ish pounds) who rides hard, getting 3 years out of a 60 dollar saddle is MORE than reasonable.

Pawn

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have a WTB Rocket V and I've found it plenty comfy. I also have a Specialized Telluride on my other bike. It is suprisingly good for a $30-$50 saddle. No real soreness after 4-5 hour rides.

I tried Fizik Plateau while riding my friend's bike. I didn't care for it too much, but of course saddle choices are somewhat subjective to each person's body and preference. I have noticed that more $$ does not = more comfort.

·
Map Maker
1,244 Posts
Brooks saddles

I use Brooks saddles on all my bikes. Hands down the most comfortable saddle I have ever used. I built up my present bike two winters ago and the first thing I bought - before the frame- was a brooks saddle.
I use a B-17 on both my trail bike and road bike.
Don't believe any of the "urban myths/ old wives tales" about a long break in period. Both mine were great from the first ride. They just get better and better with time.

reviews:
http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Saddle/product_22663.shtml

Sheldon Brown:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/leather.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.