Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2004 Minute 1:00 along with a firm spring kit and am seeking advice on setup. I am a 220# rider doing single track mostly in the Sierra foothills. What settings for the SPV have you clydes found that work the best for you? How about the other "tunables" on the Minute? Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Can't answer your questions from the standpoint of a clyde (I only weigh 130), but I do enjoy my 04 Minute 1.

Experiment is the key. It took me about a couple weeks to find the right combination of SPV air pressure aswell as SPV volume size (red hex adjustment on SPV leg). Seems like everyone sets up their SPV differently depending on preferences. Even though I only weigh 130, I have my SPV pressure at 80 PSI, which is high for my weight. I don't care about small bump compliance and prefer a firm fork for out of saddle sprints with no bob.

Also, feel free to call up the Manitou tech support phone line. The crew there are super helpful and patient. I spent my first two weeks calling them and they advise me on setup.

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
A few differences first. I weigh about 190-195 and ride a Minute 3.

I have found that the fork really starts to shine after some break in, and then after the first oil change. Do that first oil change early. I also like 10 wt. fork oil as opposed to the 7.5 wt. that comes stock.

I tune my SPV at the minimum air pressure of 30-35 psi, and have the volume one full turn in from full open. This gives me just about full travel without any harsh bottoming. The last couple mm's of travel only get used on an unexpectant sloppy kind of hit. I like my fork to feel supple on the small stuff, but not sloppy.

Also worth mentioning is that if you do not have the new Evolve SPV damper it is worth looking into. Worlds better than the first generation damper.

I have been using and tinkering with my fork for over a year, and like the fork very much. Easy to tune, work on , and maintain.

Greg

·
Code Burr
1,382 Posts
zon said:
I just purchased a 2004 Minute 1:00 along with a firm spring kit and am seeking advice on setup. I am a 220# rider doing single track mostly in the Sierra foothills. What settings for the SPV have you clydes found that work the best for you? How about the other "tunables" on the Minute? Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
my (220#) recommendations with the firm spring in.

For plush
50-60 psi, volume adj. all the way out

For platform
70-80 psi in SPV, volume adj one turn in

(Note, these are for a plush overall ride, if you want super platform, increase the numbers by 25%)

Make sure you change the oil and check the height right away. I believe they came from the factory with incorrect oil levels. Check out enduro seals' website for a full tear down with pictures. Get some of the seals while your at it.
I believe Manitou has another version of the SPV valve out called "Snap Valve". Which requires more pressure to overcome the platform making it more like the f80x. I havent tried it but if your fork has the older spv valve you might consider upgrading to it.
Theres been alot of bashing on the minute and I dont understand why. This is by far the best fork i've ever had. I think the majority of complaints are from racer types who are expecting absolutely no pedal bob and a plush ride for $300. The highest i've run the spv is about 80 psi and the small bump compliance did suffer. Since I live in Texas, and there are basically no long climbs I have never needed that kind of platform. It works extremely well in the 45-70 psi range.

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yogreg said:
Also worth mentioning is that if you do not have the new Evolve SPV damper it is worth looking into. Worlds better than the first generation damper.
Greg
How can I tell if I have the Evolve damper?

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Theres been alot of bashing on the minute and I dont understand why. This is by far the best fork i've ever had. I think the majority of complaints are from racer types who are expecting absolutely no pedal bob and a plush ride for $300. The highest i've run the spv is about 80 psi and the small bump compliance did suffer. Since I live in Texas, and there are basically no long climbs I have never needed that kind of platform. It works extremely well in the 45-70 psi range.
Thanks for the feedback. Good to hear all of the positive responses. I will be going for plush as pedal bob doesnt bother me, I adjust my riding style to compensate for it. Small bump complience is why I got this fork. On long downhill singletrack, I want a smooth a ride as possible.

·
Code Burr
1,382 Posts
zon said:
Thanks for the feedback. Good to hear all of the positive responses. I will be going for plush as pedal bob doesnt bother me, I adjust my riding style to compensate for it. Small bump complience is why I got this fork. On long downhill singletrack, I want a smooth a ride as possible.
Start with 45 psi and work your way up, volume adj. all the way out.
The only way to know what version spv valve you have is to take it apart.
Which is not for green thumbs. Getting the spv valve back into the fork leg
is really sticky and you can absolutely ruin it if your not carefull.
If your fork is working fine then dont worry about it.

·
just like a speeder-bike
329 Posts
Hey everybody, what about rebound?

zon said:
How about the other "tunables" on the Minute?
Rebound:
I run my '05 Minute 1 rebound about 3/4 of the way to full fast. I seems to react better to small bumps that way & yet I don't feel any 'pogo.'

Other Setup Notes:
FYI I'm down from 200 to 195lbs now: losing my official Clyde status thanks to a new road bike. The entire time I've stuck w/ the stock (medium) spring kit. I run pretty low SPV pressure (abouy 45lbs) and keep the volume between all the way out to one turn in. (I can't really tell much difference w/ that change).

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
The Evolve damper came with the 2005 models. They did start sending Evolve dampers in 2004 for warranty raplacements. If your fork got the damper swapped under warranty in late 04 chances are its an Evolve. If you bought a stock 2004 model year fork its got the original.

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
I just bought an SPV based fork based on the (misunderstood?) idea that I could stand up and hammer without bobbing, while the fork remains it's plush self on fast trails and drops.

Reading through these posts (thanks BTW) it sounds like you get one or the other: antibob and stiff or bob and plush. The MTBR reviews seem to say this in some of the write-ups as well.

Is this true?

I currently have a Black and dig the plushness and don't need anti-bob for seated climbing.

My new fork is on it's way, now I am wondering if I made the right choice. It is an 04 90-120 Black w/SPV, I haven't tried it yet.

Comfort me... ;)

Mr. P

·
Registered
264 Posts
Mr.P said:
Comfort me... ;)
Well, I am something of a noob, but I put a 2005 Minute 1 on my Stumpy FSR and I really like it. Of course, the M1 replaced an Axel Super, which seems to get low marks from a lot of people. Personally, I didn't hate the Axel, but an upgrade was certainly in order.

I think the SPV does an excellent job of resisting bob while hammering out of the saddle. Prior to the M1, I rarely got out of the seat. Now, I stand to climb a lot. I frequently shift up when approaching a climb now so that I can stand.

Re the OP,,,
I'm no clyde, with my backpack I weigh around 170, but here's my set-up. I have the booster spring removed from the stock spring, so I have the soft spring. I have the SPV chamber volume full out. I have about 40 psi in the SPV chamber. Rebound is in the middle.

I didn't want to compromise small bump compliance and overall plushness, so I started with the SPV low, but I tried it with a little more pressure and I liked it better. I'll probably try it with more pressure, as the increase to 40 only made the fork perform better.

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
kAZ said:
I think the SPV does an excellent job of resisting bob while hammering out of the saddle. Prior to the M1, I rarely got out of the seat. Now, I stand to climb a lot. I frequently shift up when approaching a climb now so that I can stand.
Thanks! That is what I needed to hear!

Now if I could just get FedEx to deliver it to the correct address!!! :mad:
"Delivered 10:42am; left at front door" --- Someone elses front door! :mad:
They said they should be able to track it down tomorrow. :(

I needed to install it tonight for a ride tomorrow. No play for me tonight.

Mr. P

·
Registered
981 Posts
One more thing in regards to SPV and no bob on out of saddle riding...

SPV cannot make up for bad techniques. If you combine good technique with SPV, it's sweet. Develope a smooth fluid stroke, even on out of saddle stuff. Also, pull up on the side of the handlebars to compensate for that side's foot that is pushing down/pounding on the pedal. Because if you match your hands pushing down on the bars with your pounding foot, even the highest SPV setting will bob on out of saddle stuff.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have an 04 Minute 1 and weigh 175. I didn't like the fork much at all until I finally switched to the Evolve damper today. It seems much more plush right away, previously the fork wasn't very responsive at low speeds and I was thinking of replacing it. I'd recommend riding with the stock valve a few times and if you aren't thrilled go with the Evolve damper, it really is worlds better.
The directions for replacement on the Enduro fork seal web site are excellent, far better than Manitou's. If you want to upgrade your valve you can order Manitou part# 85-5872 from http://www.adrenalinebikes.com. You'll also need a slippery grease, like the Super Slick Grease from Enduro seals, 5wt or possibly higher weight fork oil and a small amount of semi bath lube or you can use 5-40 synthetic motor oil as a substitute.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.