Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fantasy XC race courses... what would yours be?

Do you ever ride trails and think, "this would be such a great track/loop for a race"?

If you could do a race on any set of trails, what would your course be? This is fantasy... don't worry about illegal trails, other trail users, cars, rangers, etc... It probably shouldn't be 100% singletrack cause passing can be too hard.

Here's one of mine:

The Rippin' Redwood Rager
-Start at Redwood Gate / Canyon Meadow
-Ride up Stream to Skyline Gate (thin out the pack)
-Left on West Ridge to Observatory area
-Cross Skyline Road and head to Cinderella
-Down Cinderella, left on Sunset and up $2 Hill to Sequoia-Bayview
-Right on Sequoia-Bayview, cross Skyline again, and down Anxiety Steps to Dunn
-Left on Dunn and then up Graham to Redwood Bowl
-Right on West Ridge and quick left on/down Madrone
-Right on French, then down Orchard back to Canyon Meadow (Beginners done here)
-Sport/Expert continue up Canyon, then left on East Ridge all the way to Skyline Gate, then West Ridge all the way down, left along the creek, cross the bridge, and back to the finish at Canyon Meadows... where unlimited beer awaits!

I'm guessing it's 12-20 miles, depending on race class.

If you've got another route or variation for this area, feel free...

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
I didn't think this thread got enough love so I'd like to advocate for...

1) A Super(wuss)D course from the "top of the world" at De La Veaga to the sand pits/DJ.... This is a VERY gradual downhill run that takes in the neighborhood of 10 minutes. Fairly good flow, with a few little technical bits here and there. It's my home course, so i'll take on all competitors!

2)A semi-endurance race...Aptos Creek fireroad to Ridge, Ridge to Tractor, Tractor to Hihns Mill, Hihns Mill to Buzzards Lagoon, Buzzards Lagon to Aptos Creek fireroad and back to town. Half century? The "Nisene Quad Crusher"?

3) Born and raised in Fremont, CA(95062 represent!) so how about this?: Start at Ohlone college, up MP, through Sunol Wilderness to Lake Del Valle in Livermore,,, AND BACK! Boring fireroads and brutal climbs.

Come on now people...What do ya got?

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,463 Posts
Rumpfy said:
I miss Treez to Breez in Santa Cruz. That was a fun race.
I'm with Rumpfy. There have been some good courses out there. T&B, Bogg's Mountain Bash, Ring of Fire, etc. But also lots of pretty poor ones - like Fizzler.

Eagle Mountain Epic was a 1 or 2 year thing, I think. A single 50 mile loop up in the Sierras leaving from Eagle Mountain cross country resort. That was pretty good.

Interesting that we are talking about races now, as I just posted an update on the Passion Trail Bikes Blog with what my favorite races are - I think there are still some decent races out there.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
singlespeed.org said:
I'm with Rumpfy. There have been some good courses out there. T&B, Bogg's Mountain Bash, Ring of Fire, etc. But also lots of pretty poor ones - like Fizzler.

Eagle Mountain Epic was a 1 or 2 year thing, I think. A single 50 mile loop up in the Sierras leaving from Eagle Mountain cross country resort. That was pretty good.

Interesting that we are talking about races now, as I just posted an update on the Passion Trail Bikes Blog with what my favorite races are - I think there are still some decent races out there.
Totally. Even Sizzler or Quicksilver were well organized (or at least fun) races.

Does anyone remember the race they did for one year only at Paul Masson Winery in Saratoga? Talk about a fun race!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Treez and Breeze, I remember going, but can't remember how to get there.

There was a spot on that course that I would like to go back to. It was like an overlook with a bench at the top of the road climb...

Brian

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
Uncle Bri said:
Treez and Breeze, I remember going, but can't remember how to get there.

There was a spot on that course that I would like to go back to. It was like an overlook with a bench at the top of the road climb...

Brian
Ah geez...it was so long ago.

I recall 17 to 1 and taking 1 north towards Davenport....and the turn off was a small random road. Like for a farm or something.

I think I have my number plate and results still, but it shouldn't have directions I don't think.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I had a lot of fun doing Trees and Breeze a couple times. It was on private property and practising was considered poaching by the local landowners, who only gave permission for the race for access. Believe that's why it's not around anymore, at one point the private landowners figured even that was too much access. It was off Swanton Rd.

·
Registered
667 Posts
i did that one

Rumpfy said:
Totally. Even Sizzler or Quicksilver were well organized (or at least fun) races.

Does anyone remember the race they did for one year only at Paul Masson Winery in Saratoga? Talk about a fun race!
i did that one. I rode from home to warm up. I got lapped but cleaned the super steep hill every lap, and got pretty decent air on the jump on the downhill, i got a few cheers. It was great because my dad could see a lot of the race unlike at Sizzler and Trees to brees. I wish they would do that one again as i would make the trip from folsom.

·
Outrageously happy
71 Posts
[/B]
otbp_nocal said:
If you could do a race on any set of trails, what would your course be? This is fantasy... don't worry about illegal trails, other trail users, cars, rangers, etc... It probably shouldn't be 100% singletrack cause passing can be too hard.
Skyline Loop

Start at the intersection of 9 and 35
Saratoga Gap trail to
Hickory Oaks trail to
Long Ridge Road to
through the woods to Peter's Creek trail
Continue north along the Ridge trail into Skyline Ridge OSP
Go around Horseshoe Lake and cross 35
into Monte Bello OSP
Follow White Oak trail to the Monte Bello parking lot
Bella Vista trail to Black Mountain
descend into the San Andreas fault via the Indian Creek trail
Follow the Canyon trail to Table Mountain
Climb the Table Mountain trail back to Saratoga Gap

About 20 miles with plenty of passing areas

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
6,153 Posts
Many times

It's kind of a waste to go to the bother of racing on a great trail because you really can't enjoy it. That said. My chief gripe about most mountain bike races is the fact that on many of them the singletrack is so tame and short that a roadie can win the entire race by stinking up the ST and winning on the climbs (24HOA and Sea Otter). My ideal mountain bike racecourse would require strong riding skills in addition to just being fit so courses are generally heavy on singletrack.

Race Toad's from the parking lot up to Armstrong Pass then across the TRT and down Saxon Creek. A brutal mix of road climbing, singletrack ascending and cross country, then a brutal challenging downhill.

Silver Lake... Up past the Granite Lakes to Squaw ridge then down Horse Canyon. Similar to Toad's, but with less road climbing. There is enough road riding at the beginning to spread people out enough so when you get on the singletrack passing is possible. The climbing is about 90% singletrack and much of it is technical.

I would love to have a Lake Hogan loop but it would only be about 4 miles long so it would be 5+ laps. Also, very challenging to pass on 6" wide technical trails, it would have to be a time trial.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
0gre said:
My chief gripe about most mountain bike races is the fact that on many of them the singletrack is so tame and short that a roadie can win the entire race by stinking up the ST and winning on the climbs (24HOA and Sea Otter). My ideal mountain bike race course would require strong riding skills in addition to just being fit so courses are generally heavy on singletrack.
You'd like the Downieville Classic if you haven't done it. Pretty much a perfect point to point race... gotta be able to do the grueling climb, push the top, survive the baby heads, and smoke Pauley, Butcher, 3rd & 1st. I love passing the roadies (that killed me on the climb) on the baby heads and everything after :D

·
Registered
323 Posts
Los Gatos Sierra Azul Loop:

Start at LGHS, go up off of main to villa up to jones ave. and
onto dirt at St. Joseph's OSP, to jones trail and down to alma bridge road
alma bridge and turn back onto dirt at overgrown, go up and past junction towards mt. umunum,
take lefty at junction and head to top of kennedy, then go down dogmeat,
down moody's back to alma bridge road to lexington fireroad back down into LG, take backside track along hwy 17 to LGHS track, then a lap to the finish...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.