Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd wager a good percentage of the people on this forum have a pretty sweet bike that they love to ride. But I'd guess a smaller percentage have the absolute ultimate ride they'd have if money were no object—I know I'd have a different one. I fantasize about my ultimate bike, but because I can only daydream about a bike for so long, I find my mind wanders even further to HOW I'd get the bike. Lottery. Etc. Anyone else have that train of thought?

Here's my latest Mt Shredward piece on the subject. By the way, thanks so much everyone for all the clicks and nice emails I've been getting to the blog! It's been a blast and incredibly inspiring.

Ride Mt. Shredward! - How to get your dream bike

Andy

·
LightJunction.com
774 Posts
Nice.

I always hope I get lucky during tax season and the government decides I need an extra couple bucks to spend on a bike :thumbsup:

Still waiting on that to happen...

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I'll make do with what I have right now, which actually fits me perfect and rides awesome. But theres a couple of bikes I have my eye on if I get a windfall. Specifically a Ibis Mojo.

·
Enthusiast
5,359 Posts
I don't really fantasize about dream bikes. I tend to "adjust" my dreams downwards to what I can afford. This is a tough year, so my "dream" bike this year is an El Mariachi frame that I bought lightly used at end of last season. I have the color-matched fork, which is very cool and lends a distinctive touch. I will build the bike rigid using mostly parts I already have that I strip from some other frame.

·
Grand Master Jedi
302 Posts
I'd wager a good percentage of the people on this forum have a pretty sweet bike that they love to ride. But I'd guess a smaller percentage have the absolute ultimate ride they'd have if money were no object—I know I'd have a different one. I fantasize about my ultimate bike, but because I can only daydream about a bike for so long, I find my mind wanders even further to HOW I'd get the bike. Lottery. Etc. Anyone else have that train of thought?

Here's my latest Mt Shredward piece on the subject. By the way, thanks so much everyone for all the clicks and nice emails I've been getting to the blog! It's been a blast and incredibly inspiring.

Ride Mt. Shredward! - How to get your dream bike

Andy
I have to say that I've dreamed about bikes ALL my life, and dreaming about my 'Ultimate Bike' has taken up an inordinate amount of my waking moments...

The conclusion that I came to (fairly recently) is that the bike industry is full of Marketing people, but VERY few engineers... most of the 'fancy' stuff out there is really just flash, designed to separate you from your Benjamins. The other reality is that ANYTHING that you really want, anything that you've dreamed of, will be on sale at some point, and paying anything CLOSE to retail prices for components is silly (Frames MIGHT be the exception).

For the past 4 years or so, I have dreamed of Turner 5.Spot, and lo-and-behold there was a huge sale last season on these frames and I bought mine for 35% off! Same has been true for ALL my major components (wheels/fork/etc.)

In the end, the best way to get your DREAM bike is to save diligently, shop carefully, and take your time. My rig is finally built (not EVERY part is drool worthy, only the important ones) and its everything I always wanted it to be.

And in my experience, ANY part that Shimano makes is very good, and anyone that makes a competative product should be evaluated carefully. It's rare that I've found a non-shimano part that is truly inferior to anything. My ride is almost all SLX/XT/XTR and each part works each and every time. I don't think ANYONE makes better components than Shimano XTR... they are LIGHT and work.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
to get back to your original question..how. I won't buzzkill and talk of reality and responsibilities.

i am sitting in a cozy chair on the porch of a nice alpine cottage while drinking a fine brew and eating a really good burrito while receiving a pre-ride massage as I lookout over the beautiful day of riding ahead. Then a heli lands nearby and brings me my bike of the day.

the rest is kinda muddy as far as what bike(s) in particular but the "how" is dialled.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Im lined up to get my dream bike. Remedy 9. Im in the fortunate position of having most of my college paid for while having a fairly good income. I am livin the dream :)

·
Surfin' da mountain
809 Posts
Stepping away from reality for a moment.

It would be a 6.5" travel Turner All Mountain RFX with an internally geared (and perfected) rear hub and a Hammerschmidt like crank set up front. The chain device, just below & aft the front cog would be spring loaded to absorb chain stretch as the suspension strokes through its travel (i.e. elimination of derailers). The only other changes to whats pictured would be Hope V2 Brakes, XTR pedals, Azonic scandium bar, and the new Kronolog seatpost.

Could you imagine how quiet it would be?

And with the purchase of the bike, airline travel and accommodations covered to a Les Arcs bike vacation (once titled "Tour De Passport") as it is a fully lift supported 100KM loop through the ALPs on the French, Italian border. Uh! AND mother nature blesses us with sunny weather and agreeable temps for the week.

How to get it? Win the Powerball, buy an established bike company and established small component company and hope to break even.:cornut:

If yer gonna dream big, make it a MONSTER!
check out my user gallery to see how close I am to my dream bike now. Not bad...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,633 Posts
sold a couple race bikes.

put a deposit down with a local custom builder (Rick Hunter).

while waiting for my frame/fork i saved enough for the rest.

ta-da...dream bike.

currently being re-powdercoated..Rick was not happy with the finish and offered a new one done...i told him to pick the color scheme...

curious to see what he comes up with..it's just gotta go with bright ass purple wheels.

·
REALLY?
2,098 Posts
I'm fortunate in that I'm a VRC (vintage, retro, classic) guy, I already have my dream bike, three of them in fact (see my signature below). All I basically have to do is just wait for what I want/need to show up on ebay (it always does eventually) and get it.

Only thing that might ever change is ditching the Richter for a Zaskar.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
Not a big "dream bike" guy at all. My thing is riding a frame for a season or two, and buying something completely different. Id like a real slack hard sprung 120mm bike next.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Stepping away from reality for a moment.

It would be a 6.5" travel Turner All Mountain RFX with an internally geared (and perfected) rear hub and a Hammerschmidt like crank set up front. The chain device, just below & aft the front cog would be spring loaded to absorb chain stretch as the suspension strokes through its travel (i.e. elimination of derailers). The only other changes to whats pictured would be Hope V2 Brakes, XTR pedals, Azonic scandium bar, and the new Kronolog seatpost.

Could you imagine how quiet it would be?
Hammerschmidts are anything BUT quiet....

I have close to my dream bike already.

Frame: Already have a Santa Cruz Blur LTc (I would change my color to the white and black frame, or maybe a matte black)

Fork: I have a Pushed Revelation 140 Dual Air. I prefer Fox forks, so I'd go with a Float 150

Brakes: I haev SRAM XX brakes and I dont really care for them. Id switch them out for Formula The One brakes.

Drivetrain: I have SRAM X0 RD and XT front derailleur with X0 shifters. Id probably switch to something 2X10 and durable. dont really caer that much

Wheelset: I have Chris King hubs laced to DT Swiss XR400 rims. The rims are a bit lightweight. Id maybe switch the rims to something a little heavier duty.

Rear shock: I have a RP23 and it works fine. dunno if a CCDB Air would work well on an LT, but it sounds like it could improve the ride. So Ill go with that

Cranks: Dont care really. I have Truvativ Noir and theyre fine but kinda look beatup

Seatpost: I have a Joplin and I would go with something else that is reliable. Not a big Joplin fan

·
Monkey Junkie
593 Posts
Not a dream bike guy here either. Only interest in custom would be for the geometry, but doubt I could ever justify the price. I basically look at bikes as a tool to have fun with that you ride until it wears out or at least until another one comes along. I dream more about the places I want to ride them. Currently lusting after the thoughts of building another CX rig and getting some goodies for my hardtail. I also like the essence of simplicity that bikes offer, so super high-tech rigs don't interest me much. I look through magazines and see the $10,000, space age "dream bikes" and get a little disgusted to be honest. Not hating on technology, but like to keep it modest.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I look through magazines and see the $10,000, space age "dream bikes" and get a little disgusted to be honest. Not hating on technology, but like to keep it modest.
I hear ya. I wouldn't spend five figures on a bike no matter how much money I had. Nor do I really feel the need for a custom rig. I've never got on my bike and said, "Damn, if only I was 6 centimeters closer to the stem!" As far as geometry and performance goes, I feel like I've got close to my dream bike. However, if price was no object I'd fill the room for improvement I have in the weight department, especially since I love climbing. Upgrade from current Blur LT2 to LTc. XT to XTR and see what's doing as far as a lighter wheel set goes (I'm not really that knowledgeable as far as high end wheels goes).

Andy
mtshredward.com

·
Weekend warrior aspirant
400 Posts
I have mine already - saved for a long while, then finally got it. I did charge a few of the accessories, but paid those off pretty quick.

Already have thousands of miles on it - and it was worth every bit of scrimping

/edit To be topical, I *am* building up a mtn bike, but I don't really have a "dream" mtn bike. Anything that gets me out and back will do :)

·
Beer Me!
2,110 Posts
Mine gets shipped out next week!

Here is what i did:
Sold a couple bikes, saved up theoretical birthday and Christmas gifts from the wife for a couple years, asked for cash gifts from everyone else for a couple years, sold some of my art pieces. Bammo, Custom Ti Bike from FORM Cycles. Made a few sacrifices on components, but going to get EXACTLY what i want on the frame!

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I think MTBiking is too diverse a pursuit to have one bike. Some days/rides you want to hot dog around, sometimes you wanna roll on big wheels. Et cetera. Even a pretty okay bike feels like a revelation in fun when you haven't been on it in awhile.

I honestly could have any one bike I want, but that sounds boring and limiting to me. I'd rather get some strange now and again :D

Mike

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think MTBiking is too diverse a pursuit to have one bike. Some days/rides you want to hot dog around, sometimes you wanna roll on big wheels. Et cetera. Even a pretty okay bike feels like a revelation in fun when you haven't been on it in awhile.

I honestly could have any one bike I want, but that sounds boring and limiting to me. I'd rather get some strange now and again :D

Mike
That's an awesome point that I didn't even think of. The real dream would be to be able to have the means to have bikes—plural—that are a perfect match for all kinds of riding. I live really close to Pacifica in Nor Cal, which has some absolutely amazing downhill trail that frankly I'm afraid of. The main reason being that it's some crazy gnarly stuff that I don't have the skill to ride with my Blur. But if I had a freeride beast...I'd totally tackle those biatches! Then I'd have a 29er carbon hardtail to hit the Marin headlands and a cross bike...etc.

Nice post

Andy
mtshredward.com

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
The real dream would be to be able to have the means to have bikes—plural—that are a perfect match for all kinds of riding. I live really close to Pacifica in Nor Cal, which has some absolutely amazing downhill trail that frankly I'm afraid of. The main reason being that it's some crazy gnarly stuff that I don't have the skill to ride with my Blur. But if I had a freeride beast...I'd totally tackle those biatches! Then I'd have a 29er carbon hardtail to hit the Marin headlands and a cross bike...etc.
mtshredward.com
Roger, Roger! A dream quiver sounds more like it :thumbsup:

Hey, always good to have intimidating riding nearby you haven't done yet. There'll always be something. Wouldn't want things getting to bland, eh? Ride on, Andy...

m

1 - 20 of 56 Posts