Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll...just curious what brake setup you're running? Getting my first 29er and curious what is necessary to stop the additional rotational mass? The bike I'm getting comes with juicy 5s & 160's...thinking about bb7's, speed dial 7s, and xtr cables with 203's

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
Hi I like the Avid Elixir's with 185 rotors front & rear but it depends how hard you ride,most people run 160 front & rear but that is just not enough for me.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
OP, it all depends on your weight and the terrain you ride. If you're under 200lbs and/or ride XC, with not a lot of long descents then 160 rotors should do you fine, if you're over 200lbs and/or ride steep trails with long descents then looking to upgrade the rotors might be a good ide. Note I said rotors, as there is nothing else needed unless you feel the Juicy5s are crap and specifically want mechanicals. Personally I run 160 R/ 180 F Juicy7s and weigh about 180-185lbs geared (up to 200lbs when going on longer rides), but have a few nice downs and love to bomb and not need to kill my arms when I need brakes.

WHAT?? :confused: Since when are BB7s a downgrade from Juicy5s? :eek:ut: Not in my book.

the mayor said:
Why would you down grade from good hydros to lower end mechanicals?

If...and that's a big if...you really need bigger rotors, you can just buy rotors and caliper adapters.

·
Missouri sucks...
2,305 Posts
There's nothing wrong with BB7s. There's a crap load of $5000 titanium uber bikes floating around the forums with cable brakes.

As for rotor size, 203mm is complete overkill. It won't hurt anything but it's unnecessary and will add extra weight and rotational mass. I run 180mm front/160mm rear. I ran 160/160 for a couple years but kept warping rotors and moving up an inch up front cured that problem;)

Mt. BruceBrown is bigger than me and runs 160/140 if I remember correctly. The rear doesn't really need much brake to lock up and skid...

·
Plays with tools
4,650 Posts
DFYFZX said:
There's nothing wrong with BB7s. There's a crap load of $5000 titanium uber bikes floating around the forums with cable brakes.

As for rotor size, 203mm is complete overkill. It won't hurt anything but it's unnecessary and will add extra weight and rotational mass. I run 180mm front/160mm rear. I ran 160/160 for a couple years but kept warping rotors and moving up an inch up front cured that problem;)
If I was going to run an Avid disc brake it would be a mechanical, there hydro's are the definition of spongy.

A lot of forks have max rotor recommendations and most of them stop at a 180. Putting a 200mm rotor on a XC fork is asking for trouble, you probably don't have frame clearance to run a rotor that big in the rear either.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
I used to run BB7's with 203mm (f&r) on my Reign because I fried two sets of 160 hybros. On the 29er HT, I've been running BB7's with a 160mm shimano rotor on the rear and an Avid 185mm rotor on the front for a year and a half with no issues. They have stopped my additional mass (all 260lbs of it) just fine on descents of up to 4,000' at a time. If you're a big boy and go with BB7's, I'd put a 7" rotor up front, otherwise, the 6" will serve you well f&r.

The Juicy 5's should be fine as well. I just prefer the simplicity (and cost) of mechanical and I have yet to fry any BB7's.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
On my 29r I'm running Juicy 5's 160 F & R, they are more than adequate and seem to stop the 29r better than they did on my 26r which I've just put some Elixr CR 185/160 on which are amazingly good brakes...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I live in a pretty hilly area and do a fair bit of road riding for work.
I weigh 240 with no gear and quickly pushed the limits of a BB5 set up with 160mm rotors front and rear.
I upgraded to 203mm rotors front and rear with an Avid Code 5 for the front and Elixir 5 for the rear.

This may have been a little excessive.

I had a Vicious Cycles fork and 26 inch wheels and it would flex A LOT under hard braking.
I bought a much stiffer (but a little heavier) Surly fork for my new bike and I think I will step the rear rotor down to a 160mm
I will be keeping the 203 on the front because I think the extra leverage of a 29er, my weight and the long steep hills would cook much else.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
I have Juicy 5's w/ 160mm rotors on the Tallboy.

I have Shimano XT(m756) w/ 180mm rotors on the El Mariachi.

I am 210 lbs before gear.

Really haven't had any braking problems with either set....and both are about 4 years old.

Yes, the 180mm rotors are overkill on the the SS, but it is what I had when I tore down the Heckler.

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
I have used BB7s for several years, and recently converted last spring to hydralic. To tell you the truth, it was a great decision. They do not come close to producing the stopping power of hydralics! Yes BB7s are the best mechanical out there, but they are finicky! They require a lot of adjustment, and trust me there is a lot of adjustment! You have to deal with cable stretch and cable replacement. I would work on those brakes atleast 4-5 times a year. Since I bought my hydralics (Hayes Stroker Gram Carbons), I have replaced the pads....thats it. No bleeding, no adjustments, nothing...just a solid piece of equipment.

If you go to www.bikewagon.com they sell them for very cheap along with other ones like Shimano XTs and such...much under $100 a side!! The BB7s are ok, but not even in the same ball park as good hydralics, and definitely worth the extra money!

The argument that people put them on their $7000 custom Ti. bikes is because they want simplicity, and the idea that if they are out in the trails, they can work on them...which is true, and true that they may have to work on them. I average over 5,000 mi. on my MTB a year, and in the last 2,900mi I have yet to have a failure of any kind..a leak of any kind, or any problems besides pads wearing out.

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
My belief is that most people don't think enough. They don't analyze or develop the perception of a "self check". Its the same reason why someone who is perfectly sober will drive 45 in a 55, but simply driving along empty minded. The ones that don't realize that they are standing dead center of an isle in a grocery store. The same people that can't catch the shift quality difference between SLX and XTR or X7 to XO. Its those little analyses that allow you to evaluate performance gains or losses. It is also the lack of those analyses that make people inconsiderate of others. In the end, its a lack of perception.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.